Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Ex wife problems….
  • GENESIS_IO_2002
    Free Member

Hi guys
    Just wondering if someone else has gone through the same experience and could give some advice.
    I pay maintenance to the ex for my 2 children and I do not have an issue with this. This is a mutual agreement and not through the CSA.
    I have the chance of being made redundant.
    Just wondered that if I were paying the maintenance through the CSA and I lost my job, would I still be expected to keep up payments (using the redundancy money that will be keeping me afloat until I get another job). I have checked the CSA maintenance checker and it says that I am paying £50 more that she would get through the CSA.
    Any thoughts / experiences would be appreciated.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

As far as I am aware you can only pay if you have the means. A friend of mine stopped receieving money from her ex husband when he lost his job.

TPTcruiser

Sounds like it is a maths problem not an ex-wife one. Ex in the picture about this?
    Lifestyle they are accustomed to versus belt tightening.
    Sound like the language of the Coalition affects everything about our lives.

stevie750

the CSA take a percentage (I used to pay 15% for one child) of your wages, if you have no wages then they will take no money.

I would tell them as soon as know that you are being made redundant.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I’m about to become a non-resident partner too. No income right now, so she won’t get anything until I find work. I’m wondering how I will afford to live myself, let alone support her. She is completely spendthrift and is always running up debt, despite a salary more than twice the national average. Until the day she buys me out, she has only had food, clothes and fuel to pay out for, so,she has a monumental shock coming her way!

If the CSA become involved, my understanding is that they will assess you and determine how much you pay. Broadly speaking, it’s 15% for one child, 20% for two, 25% for three. If you have regular custody and or certain particular circumstances, there will be adjustments. This will be collected until the children leave full time secondary education.

If you are already having child maintenance payments collected through the CSA and you lose your job, or your salary changes, I believe you have to get a hearing with them to get reassessed, to get the monthly figure adjusted. They can check up in your earnings from your P60, so will take back payments so everything is corrected. Don’t think there is anyway you can avoid paying (and why would you – this is about your kids, not your vile ex-wife).

If the CSA aren’t involved, you might consider withholding payment until you become reemployed, but this might prompt her to contact the CSA. I would far rather not have them involved and to try and maintain some sort of dialogue with your ex. (Tough as that may be)

I’m not sure how the CSA regard redundancy payments. They may regard this as income. I would check out their website.

If you think there is a reasonable chance you will find another job, the noble and easier thing might be to continue paying. If you are still looking after three months and then stop paying, it will appear like you have been far more reasonable and considerate towards your children, than if you cut payments now.

It’s a situation only you can gauge because we don’t know what her circumstances are. If she has a new partner and/or a well paid job, it may be deemed reasonable that your immediate needs are somewhat greater. Conversely, she may not have any income, in which case cessation of your support will cause considerable hardship. It’s a position only you can judge!

One thing is for sure is that a lot of divorced mothers use their entitlement whether they need it or not, probably out of spite for their ex, or because they can’t be bothered to intervene. Non-residents’ needs appear to be completely overlooked by the CSA.

Personally, I think support should be finite, based on realistic needs of the children, not a percentage of what a non-resident earns. The non-resident parent has needs too and if this system was just, there would be much greater balance. Paying out excessive amounts of child support is tantamount to spousal maintenance. That’s not reasonable, nor fair, but this is the law as it stands.

The law always sides with the resident parent and in the overwhelming majority of cases, this is the mother, regardless of her behaviour, or whether she actually needs your support.

Good luck, but always think about the money you pay as going directly towards helping the children, not for the selfish cow to maintain her loopy financially unsustainable lifestyle.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

If through the CSA, its definitely income dependent – so if you get made redundant, then you would be paying a nominal amount from your dole money (5£ per week?)

Personally, I think the biggest travesty is the allowance given for shared care & contact costs to the non resident parent – It means that you’re being financially penalised for making the effort to see and remain involved in your kids upbringing, if you don’t bother, then its X% of salary, and that’s it, not a penny more to pay and no responsibility.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

My wife has an Ex 9.0. She never rides it. I probably won’t divorce her over it though as it makes a great second winter bike for me.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

One thing is for sure is that a lot of divorced mothers use their entitlement whether they need it or not, probably out of spite for their ex, or because they can’t be bothered to intervene. Non-residents’ needs appear to be completely overlooked by the CSA.

Personally, I think support should be finite, based on realistic needs of the children, not a percentage of what a non-resident earns. The non-resident parent has needs too and if this system was just, there would be much greater balance. Paying out excessive amounts of child support is tantamount to spousal maintenance. That’s not reasonable, nor fair, but this is the law as it stands.

+1,000,000

patriotpro
    Free Member

the CSA take a percentage (I used to pay 15% for one child) of your wages, if you have no wages then they will take no money.

This but they will check with your employer and the redundancy payout will come out then and the CSA would def want a piece. Same as they would if you having savings so bare it in mind if I were you…

hora
    Free Member

Personally, I think support should be finite, based on realistic needs of the children, not a percentage of what a non-resident earns. The non-resident parent has needs too and if this system was just, there would be much greater balance. Paying out excessive amounts of child support is tantamount to spousal maintenance. That’s not reasonable, nor fair, but this is the law as it stands

Without lighting fireworks- Living with and looking after children requires more than 10% of whatever though. She can’t just go out to the pub, come and go as she pleases etc. Don’t ever begrudge the mother. Shes fulltime, you’ll be a part-time parent.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Hora your only PT because she wont let you be anything more and the law wont support you to do more- it should be 50/50 by default * so I think its unlikely you will want to be generous to someone who stop you seeing the kids – they also get more money the less you see them.

THIS

No reasonable parent dislikes giving money to their kids however they do dislike giving it to an ex

Hoar were your ex a millionaire and you on MW then you could have a one bed flat so they can never stop over and still have to pay when the money is not needed but your life , an the kids, would be improved by the money stopping

Re CSA – redundancy is not wages its treated as a one off gift and you dont need to declare -t – few years ago this

* Hora FWIW if it was 50/50 you would still have to pay them and they get he child benefit and the tax credits – in fact if it was 90/10 and they were the resident parent you still need to pay them
    Kids need to paid for but you have a right to have a home as well

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Hora FWIW if it was 50/50 you would still have to pay them and they get he child benefit and the tax credits – in fact if it was 90/10 and they were the resident parent you still need to pay them
    Kids need to paid for but you have a right to have a home as well

Junky, It gets better than that – if you’ve got one each (my youngest lives with me, eldest with mum) then according to the CSA I would have to pay her fifteen percent of my wage, (and that’s including fifteen percent of my tax credits) and she would have to pay me fifteen percent of her wages (ie. nothing!)

They actually came out with the calculation that I would pay only £20 less per month than if they both remained living with her

WTF!

grantway
    Free Member

maybe get correct advice.
    But i known it all changes if you become self employed

JoeBones
    Free Member

I have been in this situation, email me if you want a chat.

easynote120@gmail.com

BillyBull
    Free Member

No earnings equals nil assessment. Go on the dole and its £5. Even if you were millionaire it would have a ceiling of about £2000 earnings a week. If she wasn’t happy that you were not paying then she could ask for a variation but you would need assets over 65 k. Hope that helps.

GENESIS_IO_2002
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies and advice. This does seem to be an emotional topic. Money always is!!
    The ex does not have a brilliant job and she has a partner that contributes the majority of their wages.
    I appreciate that I do need to contribute to the kids welfare but you never know where the money is going.
    Hopefully I will not be made redundant. (fingers crossed)!

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

The CSA would indeed regard redundancy money as income, depending how much it was – if for example you received 3 months wages, you would be expected to pay 3 months maintenance at normal levels.

Depends how much you are getting really as to what the best course of action would be. I’d stay away from the CSA if I were you, and negotiate a reduced amount with the ex if you can to help your redundancy money (and therefore her maintenance) last longer. They are not nice or reasonable people to deal with.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Ex wife problems….’ is closed to new replies.