Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • EX maintenance
  • surfer
    Free Member

Simple question really!

How do I look after the rear suspension pivots/linkages on my Trek Fuel EX8?
    After cleaning is there anything I can use to prolong the life and maintain the function etc?
    Or is cleaning enough?

Thanks muchly

jimr80
    Free Member

Trek recomend just cleaning so thats what i do. Avoid puttig anything like muc-off around the pivots/ bearings, their thank you for it.

surfer
    Free Member

Thanks Jim

Maybe I'm a bit anal but any moving parts to me look like they should have some type of oil/grease/fluid etc applied given the chance.

I'll take your advice!

IA

Keep an eye on them for play. Occasionally grab a handfull or wheel and see if you can detect any sideways play (in the pivots, not wheel). If there is some, new bearings time. Similarly hold the wheel down, and pull the saddle up, if you can feel play/knocking it's probably new shock bushes time. Finally, it's worth occasionally whipping the shock out. Move the rear sus, it should move smoothly through its range (a little stiff is ok, but if it's notchy, new bearings time).

Replacing bearings as they start to wear is a good idea. Other wise bad wear can cause them to seize and rotate in the frame, knackering the mounts.

Oh, and of course checking bolts are tight occasionally is always worthwhile in rear sus as with anything else on your bike.

surfer
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘EX maintenance’ is closed to new replies.