Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Ewan McGregor and Piers Morgan
  • aP
    Free Member

flanagaj – Member
    What have I missed. Been busy giving one of my direct reports a grilling for not wearing her mini skirt and high heels to the office.

I hope she’s blonde?

jonnyboi

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/roman-polanski-the-truth-about-his-notorious-sex-crime-949106.html

So, yeah. Polanski did it and admitted to it, and was willing to do a small amount of time over it… just enough to show contrition yet not be inconvenienced?

The thing here is that the principle point Morgan is conveying is correct, McGregor does ‘appear’ to be a hypocrite by working with Polanski then making judgements on other moral issues. It would be interesting to see how he justifies that if an interviewer could ask it in an appropriate way.

ransos
    Free Member

The thing here is that the principle point Morgan is conveying is correct, McGregor does ‘appear’ to be a hypocrite by working with Polanski then making judgements on other moral issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

GrahamS

Been busy giving one of my direct reports a grilling for not wearing her mini skirt and high heels to the office.

She must be one of those “rabid feminists” eh? Do you feel is “emasculating your gender” by not letting you see her legs? 🙄

slowoldman

t is odd when you think the masses would see through this that God Morning’s figure have gone up…

Which speaks volumes about “the masses” (see also Jeremy Kyle and Katie Hopkins).

Been busy giving one of my direct reports a grilling

Not a roasting one hopes.

jonnyboi

The thing here is that the principle point Morgan is conveying is correct, McGregor does ‘appear’ to be a hypocrite by working with Polanski then making judgements on other moral issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

Well played. I personally think that McGregor was right to do what he did with Morgan, but wrong in working with Polanksi.

If he made a moral judgement on Polanski that he can reasonably justify then fine, (difficult to swallow but fine) but if he decided that the personal morality of Polanski wasn’t his business simply because he revered him as a writer/director and wanted to work with him, then doesn’t that make him a hypocrite?

ransos
    Free Member

If he made a moral judgement on Polanski that he can reasonably justify then fine, (difficult to swallow but fine) but if he decided that the personal morality of Polanski wasn’t his business simply because he revered him as a writer/director and wanted to work with him, then doesn’t that make him a hypocrite?

Not really. I think they’re different issues, and there’s no reason – as you say – why he can’t be wrong about one, and right about the other.

enfht
    Free Member

THE funniest Womens March placard.

‘seed oil’ on the back 😆

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

She must be one of those “rabid feminists” eh? Do you feel is “emasculating your gender” by not letting you see her legs?

I think it fact this thread has evaginated flanagaj

jimjam
    Free Member

ransos

Not really. I think they’re different issues,

McGregor took issue with Morgan over what he viewed to be misogynist comments. And yet he took no issue with Polanski drugging and raping a girl which is frankly about as misogynistic as you can get.

and there’s no reason – as you say – why he can’t be wrong about one, and right about the other.

Well one earns him massive publicity (just when he has a film to promote) and PC points, the other gets him a pay day and artistic luvvie points. Win win.

chakaping
    Free Member

They are separate issues though, really.

GrahamS

And yet he took no issue with Polanski drugging and raping a girl

Can you post the clip where he says “I have no issue with Roman Polanski drugging a raping a girl” ?

I missed that bit.

It should probably be noted that in 2011 the girl, Samantha Geimer, described how the courts and media did way more damage to her than Polanski ever did.

Perhaps Piers should consider that point before dragging it all up again just to get back at someone that didn’t want to be on his talk show.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/exclusive-roman-polanski-victim-blames-media-13103307

ransos
    Free Member

McGregor took issue with Morgan over what he viewed to be misogynist comments. And yet he took no issue with Polanski drugging and raping a girl which is frankly about as misogynistic as you can get.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Well one earns him massive publicity (just when he has a film to promote) and PC points, the other gets him a pay day and artistic luvvie points. Win win.

Yep, I definitely wouldn’t know about the Trainspotting film without this incident.

T1000
    Free Member

Piers argument is pretty weak, Sure EM got it wrong about Polanski. However just because someone gets something wrong it doesn’t mean they have to keep making mistakes.

However Piers is perpetually odious

jimjam
    Free Member

GrahamS

Can you post the clip where he says “I have no issue with Roman Polanski drugging a raping a girl” ?

I missed that bit.

He took the lead role in a film written and directed by Polanski. This is massive amount of personal and professional collaboration at a time in his career when he almost certainly didn’t need the money. If he possessed such a finely tuned sense of morality, specifically with regards to womens right one would imagine he would avoid collaborating with known rapists.

Ask yourself, would you rather spend 20 minutes with Piers Morgan or a couple of months with someone who drugged and raped a 13 year old girl?

It should probably be noted that in 2011 the girl, Samantha Geimer, described how the courts and media did way more damage to her than Polanski ever did.

Are you posting this to excuse Polanski’s actions? That’s a weird point to make to say the least.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

He took the lead role in a film written and directed by Polanski. This is massive amount of personal and professional collaboration at a time in his career when he almost certainly didn’t need the money. If he possessed such a finely tuned sense of morality, specifically with regards to womens right one would imagine he would avoid collaborating with known rapists.

Did McGregor know he was working with a man who violated a 13 year old girl? It’s unlikely to be something Polanski drops into casual conversation.

GrahamS

Did McGregor know he was working with a man who violated a 13 year old girl?

Yes.

The rape happened in 1977. Polanski plea bargained and plead guilty for a sentence of time already served (42 days) plus probation.
    The judge (apparently) decided to ignore the plea bargain and sentence him to 50 years in jail. Polanski fled before sentencing. It was pretty well publicised.

The video above looks like it is EM talking about Polanski’s 2010 film “Ghost Writer”. The arrest he is talking about would be Polanski being arrested September 2009 while in Switzerland at the request of the US.

Pretty good summary here and on the linked page:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Polanski#Legal_history

Are you posting this to excuse Polanski’s actions? That’s a weird point to make to say the least.

Not in the slightest.

I’m saying that the victim, Mrs Geimer, has categorically stated that “way more damage” has been caused to her by the media and people using the case for their own ends and ambitions than Polanski ever caused her.

So perhaps Piers should consider that before.. y’know.. bringing up the case in the media for his own ends and ambitions.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The video above looks like it is EM talking about Polanski’s 2010 film “Ghost Writer”. The arrest he is talking about would be Polanski being arrested September 2009 while in Switzerland at the request of the US.

That’s what I was wondering. At a guess Ghostwriter was filmed 2008/09. It’s certainly possible McGregor was unaware at the time of filming. Alternatively you could claim that Brosnon and everyone else on the film happily works with pedophiles.

Regardless, it’s all a little tenuous.

(Just realised I’ve read the book Ghostwriter is based on)

So perhaps Piers should consider that before.. y’know.. bringing up the case in the media for his own ends and ambitions.

But that would get in the way of him furthering his own aims and ambitions!

CountZero

Are you a male feminist who attends the marches?

Dunno, most of my female friends are women with good careers and minds very much their own, all of whom I have enormous respect and love for, and I have the same respect for any woman who is successful in one way or another in what is still a world that’s largely male-dominated/orientated.
    If thinking I’m a ‘male feminist’ makes you feel a tiny bit superior, go right ahead, you won’t be the first on here to make the same error.

Flanagaj, clever move! Trying to get people to engage with you in a thread where people are supporting the idea of not engaging with dicks.

Inspired STW style. 😆
    Exactly!

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Ewan McGregor and Piers Morgan’ is closed to new replies.