• This topic has 17 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by poah.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • evoc freeride backpacks
  • MSP

Does anyone understand what the differences are between the standard, team and blackline models are?

poah
    Free Member

The team has a pocket in the waist strap and a helmet strap on the back over the standard. The blackline is just black is it not. If you look atht evoc site you can see the differences between the bags

iolo
    Free Member

What’s the point of these? They don’t seem to carry water so are they just a haversack? Serious question.

poah
    Free Member

My evoc FR carries my 3L camelbak reservoir

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

They carry water, they just don’t all come with bladder included.

iolo
    Free Member

So why not get a camelback or whatever cheapo from gelert?

funkrodent

They’re sort of all day mountain bike rucksacks. As said above they can carry a large reservoir, with routing for the hose down the strap like a Camelbak. They have an integrated back protector for the inevitable off. They have a large range of well designed/thought out storage pockets and they are incredibly well made. To evidence the latter, when I was hike-a-biking in the Lakes I just strapped my bike to the sack using the helmet straps and off I went. Bike weighs 30lbs easy 😯

iolo
    Free Member

But doesn’t a normal hydration pack offer protection? Water in the bladder, the pack itself.
    I am an expert in crashing and have lots of experience. I’ve never felt the need to have extra back protection apart from my camelback

sazter

They are also just nice and well made bags if that’s your thing. I got mine in a ridiculous sale in CRC a few years ago now, aside from some mud marks and a wee fray on a bit of mesh it’s in great nick, cost less than most backpacks at the time due to offers and sales etc, apparently I paid less than trade for mine. Would buy again at full price though as it has lasted great, will be years yet though unless I do something stupid to it.

poah
    Free Member

iolo – Member

back protection

iolo – Member

But doesn’t a normal hydration pack offer protection? Water in the bladder

no

wrecker
    Free Member

Because ENDURO 😆
    I’m laughing at myself, I own one of these. The only thing I don’t like is the massive thick waist strap but scissors will fix that.

poey50
    Free Member

A water bladder will offer some protection – but imagine a rock hitting it – the water will be quickly pushed out of the way so the impact is only spread out by the firmer plastic material which forms the back of the bladder. The back protector just does more to spread the impact.

I’ve got an XL Evoc Blackline Freeride and it’s very well made.

poah
    Free Member

The only thing I don’t like is the massive thick waist strap but scissors will fix that.

It won’t stay put on your back if you do that.

poey50
    Free Member

The waist strap holds the pack in place on the back. If it moves out of the way in a crash the back protector can’t help.

funkrodent

But doesn’t a normal hydration pack offer protection? Water in the bladder, the pack itself.
    I am an expert in crashing and have lots of experience. I’ve never felt the need to have extra back protection apart from my camelback

Short answer is “maybe”. As said above by others, in essence they are incrediboy well made pieces of kit. A deal at full price and an absolute steal in a sale.
    I’ve had one crash – steep, fast, rocky terrain – where I got flipped OTB and landed, hard, on my back on rocks. Properly winded. Did the back pack and its protection help? Absolutely. Would I have been in the shtook without it? Don’t know, but I’m sure as hell glad that I was wearing it..

Bedds
    Free Member

A couple of mates ride with Evocs.. they’re nice looking packs but the initial full RRP put me off..

My own thoughts on the back protector is that I’ve never landed on my back, face, head, arms, knees yes, but back? no.. I don’t think I’d have the presence of mind or reaction time to roll either

wrecker
    Free Member

they’re nice looking packs but the initial full RRP put me off.

Got mine from sport pursuit for about £70. Miles better than the Osprey it replaced which was about the same money.

poah
    Free Member

paid £45 for mine 😀

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘evoc freeride backpacks’ is closed to new replies.