• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by stuey.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Evobikes -blurring the line?
  • vinnyeh

Pair of triple clamp forks on a bike at a roadside rack in central London caught my eye- have a quick glance at what is obviously an electric bike, and Im guessing a pretty damned heavy one. Google it, and find the advertising claims it’ll accelerate up to 50mph ‘without breaking a sweat’.

WTF? Are these things road legal? No mot, reg, licence required?

I’ve always been accepting of electric bikes, but I can’t believe that this is anything other than an electric motorcycle- if you aren’t fit enough or healthy enough to pedal a normal hybrid there’s no way you could pretend to be pedalling one of these things.

Should be a ban on them.

legend
    Free Member

I am outraged.

wwaswas

Are these things road legal?

Nope.

Should be a ban on them.

there is. Construction and use regs.

aye-aye
    Free Member

I’ve always been accepting of electric bikes, but I can’t believe that this is anything other than an electric motorcycle- if you aren’t fit enough or healthy enough to pedal a normal hybrid there’s no way you could pretend to be pedalling one of these things.

Should be a ban on them

Let me get this straight.

Someone wants to ride a mountain bike with an electric motor on it.

You don’t like it so it should be banned?

Is that what the point of your post is?

vinnyeh

No, it’s not.

It was that electric bikes capable of 50mph should be banned from public roads and bridle ways until they’re subject to the same controls (licensed operators, insurances, identification plates etc) since they’re manifestly more motorcycle than bicycle ie the pedals are primarily decorative.

And, lo, it seems that they are banned.

Presumably there hasn’t yet been enough trouble for the ban to be enforced.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They’re legal, as long as they’re not on the road, or the ‘engine’ is restricted to 15mph or some such.

unovolo
    Free Member

the advertising claims it’ll accelerate up to 50mph

They can claim what they want, the reality could be something different plus I’m sure ‘IF’ it can do 50mph the battery life will be obliterated and you won’t be doing it very often per ride.

I may be wrong but I thought most electric bikes for road use were limited to 25mph max.

Just had a look at the website and I’d guess that as they are marketing it for Off road use is how they maybe get around any speed limitation.
    http://www.evobike.co.uk/the-bikes/the-bomber/

jam-bo

The video of them looks shite.

tomaso
    Free Member

Next you’ll be able to buy cars and motorcycles that can go quicker than the national speed limit.

But its not really fast is it?

This is fast, electric even!
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlxZs2-gICc[/video]

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Limit for EU electric bikes is 25km/h, I’m guessing his one is off road only :p

FOG

Have I missed it or is there no price on their website?

winston
    Free Member

This is actually a big issue in the Netherlands at the moment. There has been a massive increase in electric bike use and they are allowed on the cycle path network. They are mainly ridden by the old and less agile but are capable of 30-50kmh. The problem is that the fogies can’t react quick enough to avoid collisions with cyclists and there have been some serious injuries and even deaths.

On a the separate subject of electric motorbikes….this one kicks ass

jameso

Does it just have one of those ‘For off-road use only mode’ (wink wink, disclaimer, we know everyone ignores it but it’s legal, etc) switches?

sweepy
    Free Member

Fair point by Tomaso, no need to limit the machine, just tell the rider he’s only allowed to go 25 and he’ll stick to it im sure.

billytinkle
    Free Member

I like this sort of thing to be honest. Technology will move on, electric bikes will become cheaper, lighter and more efficient. Hopefully legislation will move with the times and they will be properly regulated and be worth using for local trips and commuting – hopefully taking the place of the hundreds of single occupancy cars seen everyday.

vinnyeh

they will be properly regulated

Really, this is the only issue. I have no issue with their top speed, as long as the bikes and their riders are subject to the same rules as other vehicles with similar capabilities.

stuey
    Free Member

tomaso link video seems scarily quiet to me – makes me wonder if future electric vehicles will cause ‘sorry mate, didn’t hear you ‘ accidents.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Evobikes -blurring the line?’ is closed to new replies.