Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • evil sovereign fork recommendations
  • boborange
    Free Member

hi, my first post here so please go easy.

i have just bought an evil sovereign and looking at suitable front forks. I have read in many places that a 140mm or adjustbale fork is the way to go. this fork, Rockshox 2012 Sektor RL Dual Position Coil at £348 is within budget and just wondering if its any good or is there anything else i should look at?

thanks….

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

Should be fine, I’ve got 140mm coil Pikes on mine and they’re perfect.

jackal
    Free Member

Does anyone run 160mm (more specifically lyriks) on theirs?

craigxxl
    Free Member

I tried my Lyrik Airs at 170, 160 and now at 150 which I find ideal, 170 was crap. When I first built mine I fitted Fox 140 floats and they were too flexy. I’ve also tried it with my Revs Ti dual position 150/120 which worked really well with the frame but kept with the Lyrik as they are great fork and the Revs suited my GT Force better.

jackal
    Free Member

Seriously tempted by one now, are they warranted upto 160mm? I’m looking for it to take the place of my wolfridge (quadlink jobbie) frame which I love, not sure if I’d be making a mistake or not as I’d own two steel hardtails then…. Can these take a fair bit of hammer? Eg the odd drop, (bad) jump etc…?

To the OP, sorry about the thread hijack (it’s on topic tho) and what colour did u get?

Stevelol
    Free Member

I literally last week sold my 160 lyrik and replaced it with a 140 revelation rlt ti. The lyrik makes the bike feel bombproof but you definitely need travel adjust. For me, I have a 160mm fs so wanted to get the sov into more of a fast trail slayer! Running a 145 fork gets the BB damn low (13.1″) and with the short chainstays I’m hoping it’s gonna be even more nimble.

Also yes they can take a beating, I don’t think ill ever break mine, it felt solid around GT/Inners.

jackal
    Free Member

Sounds promising, only problem is if I go for it it will leave me without a full sus bike (first time in the last 10 years or so..), and will I regret it???
    It would be built up fairly beefy, lyriks, dual ply tyres etc and 1 x 10. Anyone done any proper dh riding on one? Taken one to the alps? Anyone ever broke one?!

Or would a dialled alpine be a better choice, or an NS surge? Or stick with the wolfridge (which is a lot of fun to ride)..? I’m liking the idea of the short chainstays tho…
    😯 😆

whatnobeer
    Free Member

It would be built up fairly beefy, lyriks, dual ply tyres etc and 1 x 10. Anyone done any proper dh riding on one? Taken one to the alps? Anyone ever broke one?!

Couple of mates of mine have got them. Ridden every where from Fort Bill to the Mega. Bomb proof by the looks of them.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

140mm is definitely the best option for a Sovereign. Really benefits from a 20mm axle, too. Coil Pike would be best. 160mm is too much – BB is too high and the head angle too slack and wallowy.

As far as breaking one is concerned, I may only weigh 10 stone but I ride like a wardrobe and have hammered mine relentlessly – several weeks in the alps, Megavalanche, Macavalanche, Endurance DH at Fort Bill and numerous enduros and big mountains and it’s taken the lot with ease. If you just want a hardtail sledgehammer, you might be better served with the likes of an Alpine – quite a bit longer and slacker for DH stuff, but altogether less lively and engaging…

Any excuse for a low quality picture of mine;

Del

get a price from LoCo off here for any fork you’re costing up. he’s generally very competitive.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’m back from my first ride with the 140mm Revs and I wish I’d just gone for something shorter than 160 to begin with. The bike feels right now. It’s very fast and nimble, no need for travel adjust, yeah it’s flexier than the Lyriks but you only really notice it when weighting the front wheel through sharp turns.

boborange
    Free Member

i think im going to go for the 140 revs as they are adjustable and quite a bit lighter than the sektors by 400g.

thanks for all your advice, much appreciated

munrobiker
    Free Member

160mm is too much, I’ve run mine with Lyriks and Pikes and the 160s felt a bit lame.

What I would do though, now the Pike doesn’t exist, is get a 160mm fork and step it down. The Sov demands a bigger fork to keep up with the muscle of it. Having ridden FortunateSon’s and mine his feels really rather wimpy up front compared to mine with big forks, and he’s said as such in the past too- Fox 32s, Revelations etc are all just too weedy.

mafiafish
    Free Member

I reckon you’ll be well served by the revs, having seen the woeful reliability of fox relative to them and having used a pair of race and team forks (both qr) I found them pretty stiff and great forks. By all accounts the 15mm or 20mm version and considerably stiffer than a fox 32, obviously not as stiff as lyriks or 36s but cheaper, much lighter and probably slightly plusher too. Check what damping you go for though. There are so many options on the same model now and some are very xc/efficency biased and others more all-round biassed.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘evil sovereign fork recommendations’ is closed to new replies.