• This topic has 161 replies, 76 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 162 total)
  • Evil bikes Warranty 2016- still terrible……!
  • paulneenan76
    Free Member

Well if they are that good, only fluffy white clouds or unicorns !!

Stevet1
    Free Member

It’s a serious question because as much as I love it, I can’t see myself buying another – so wonder what else would compare.

acidtest
    Free Member

Personally I’d go for a Yeti SB5c although they’ve had their fare share of warranty nightmares in the past. Think they’re ok now though.

ehrob

Even if their frames are as good to ride as the reviews/owners suggest, I couldn’t possibly get involved with a company that refuses to stand behind their products and back their customers.

And also apparently readily admit their bike designs are flawed. Bizarre.

Unbelievably bad would not come close to describing the way they seem to be in dealing with these issues.

FuzzyWuzzy
    ScottChegg
    Free Member

Having to use a warranty is crap.

Having a worthless warranty is much, much worse.

buckster
    Free Member

Fascinating. I suppose it exposes the risk of Asian production if you are not close to every step of the process.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I had got my heart set on an Insurgent next year. I’ve been waiting to buy one since I saw the pictures of the aluminium 6″ prototype in, what, 2009/10? I thought it’d be great to go with my Sovereign.

I’d decided in January that I would give Evil three strikes before deciding to purchase and this is the second, but the way it’s been handled is bad enough that I think that might well be it. I will have to take my money elsewhere.

Gotama
    Free Member

I have an Evil (Uprising). It’s the best frame I’ve ever ridden

Interestingly a mate has one and has done for a while. Whilst it hasn’t cracked or burst into flames if he does land something hard on it then the rear wheel hits….yep, the seat tube. Must be flex in the rear somewhere as it doesn’t hit with all the air out of the shock in a static test.

kimbers

Fascinating. I suppose it exposes the risk of Asian production if you are not close to every step of the process havent got a clue what you are doing.

kimbers

You realise UK law gives you 6 years? Thanks for proving that being in the EU is totally unnecessary

Under UK law after 6 months the burden of proof shifts from the seller to the buyer to prove that the goods were faulty, hence taking them to court with an 18 month old futon
    thats why in practice the 6 years doesnt mean jack

its 2 years under EU law
    Ive used the this with a crappy 1 year old dell monitor they wouldnt take back and many many emails got nowhere, after showing them the EU regs they sent a courier to collect next day

legend
    Free Member

Must be flex in the rear somewhere as it doesn’t hit with all the air out of the shock in a static test.

Did you manage the also compress the bottom out bumper when doing that? Otherwise there’s still more travel to go

Kimbers is spot on there

mactheknife

Customer loyalty comes from various factors but for me the top one is probably its customer support. I am an unashamed Turner fanboy and although their bikes are very good (so are most companies to be fair) the main reason is their level of support and service.
    On Friday i emailed Turner support about a small issue i was having, within an hour Dave Turner himself had emailed me a very comprehensive answer. Now if you pop onto the Turner section on MTBR you will see that this is not a rare occurrence, its how the company appears to operate.

As much as i don’t mind spending a lot of money on my main hobby i doubt many people have 2 and a half grand to burn, and as such i doubt i would ever touch an Evil bike even though a really good mate is a dealer i dont trust the company to see you right if it all goes south.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Mac, I had a Turner before the uprising, and it did ride well, almost as good as the Uprising so I guess that is where my money would go when the time comes. I hope that time is a long way off though because I do love the Uprising.

if he does land something hard on it then the rear wheel hits….yep, the seat tube.

I’ve never experienced this, and I have given it some stick so maybe it’s back to the old ‘human’ element… Like those artisan products that say ‘these products are handmade, any defects are features created by each artist’.

psycorp
    Free Member

The simple fact is that Evil ask a premium price for their product but don’t appear to provide a premium product in terms of QC or premium customer service.

I’ll echo what’s been said above, I’m surprised they are still in business.

NormalMan

mactheknife – Member
    Customer loyalty comes from various factors but for me the top one is probably its customer support

I think this is part of the reason why Cotic have such a following. I know when I was thinking for increasing fork travel it was Cy who personally ran through the geometry changes including honest appraisal of both positives and nagatives I’d encounter.

I really appreciated it. He even took time out to email me back to basically say ‘have a good weekend and enjoy the ride’ so when I see Cotic praised on here it is no shock to me.

mactheknife

Stevet1, i have the new RFXv4.0 and to be honest its absolutely amazing but i had a blast yesterday on my old 5 spot that i built up for my boy and i fell back in love again. Completely forgot what a fun bike it is. Nippy and playful 🙂

Stevet1
    Free Member

Thread hijack

Stevet1, i have the new RFXv4.0 and to be honest its absolutely amazing

Cool ‘cos that’s the frame I’d be looking at if the worst happened. Old frame was an original ’01 RFX

but i had a blast yesterday on my old 5 spot that i built up for my boy and i fell back in love again. Completely forgot what a fun bike it is. Nippy and playful

So that makes the RFX v4.0 sluggish and boring??? The playful yet forgiving nature of the uprising is why I love it so much.

mactheknife

No way is it sluggish and boring its that the 5 spot is so much more playful, they are very different bikes 😀

davidxbrown
    Free Member

Disappointing for the OP and poor response from the guys at Evil.

Just to bring some balance:

I’m not seeing this problem with my Following using 2.3 High Rollers, on either Flow Rims or Crank Bros Iodine, rim width will have an marginal impact on tyre height? Will probably make a check if I use a different tyre

Mines a large frame so I wonder if the issue relates to frame size?

Not had to call on the warranty and hopefully wont have to, 8 months of use so far and more than please with the bike.

toons
    Free Member

I was running a 2.25 nobby nic on a large, that didn’t hit the seat post either. Quite a few scratches on the chainstays and the bb area.

I snapped a bolt on my Following and it took over two months to sort a replacement.

Silverfish wanted to charge me £89.99 for a kit!

The European importer sent one FOC

I’ve sold my following now. Don’t think i would buy another Evil bike.

But they are fun bikes to ride.

discapade
    Free Member

Toons I think I bought your 5 spot many moons ago..lol

hora
    Free Member

Macthknife I bought a cheap 5spot in a sale, soon after the paint started lifting on the rear triangle. I said I was fine with any colour triangle replacement- nope later (better) model 5spot on its way within the week. Now Turner can’t be a huge company but their customer service focus on those that count; the customer is infallible. I remember selling the frame on, the buyer low balled me and I thought ‘why not/share the love as I technically only paid sale price originally’ then made me stump up the £30 insured post when I forgot to say plus ‘£x’ post to post. Buyer chanced it then refused to stump up more. One year on he put said frame on here for a fair bit more..

But that’s another story…wasn’t one of you lot was it?…a black 44mm headtube frame…

wrecker
    Free Member

I have never had better service from anyone inside our outside of the bike industry than I did from Turner. Dave makes it so easy. This is what happens when you have an engineer rather than a creative running a manufacturing company.

legend
    Free Member

This is what happens when you have an engineer rather than a creative running a manufacturing company.

It’s the lack of manufacturing knowledge that seems to have been the problem from the start. It’s like they just hand over some drawings and assume everything will be fine

mactheknife

hora – Member
    Macthknife I bought a cheap 5spot in a sale, soon after the paint started lifting on the rear triangle. I said I was fine with any colour triangle replacement- nope later (better) model 5spot on its way within the week. Now Turner can’t be a huge company but their customer service focus on those that count; the customer is infallible. I remember selling the frame on, the buyer low balled me and I thought ‘why not/share the love as I technically only paid sale price originally’ then made me stump up the £30 insured post when I forgot to say plus ‘£x’ post to post. Buyer chanced it then refused to stump up more. One year on he put said frame on here for a fair bit more..

But that’s another story…wasn’t one of you lot was it?…a black 44mm headtube frame…

😀 Hey hora, i remember reading on here that you didn’t get on with you 5 spot. Was it a 2010 that could only take a straight steerer fork?

Anyway OP i hope the situation is on its way to being resolved to your satisfaction.

hora
    Free Member

It was the 1/8 steerer, 2011 was a way better frame. I remember people at the time saying designer knows best/don’t change wasn’t isn’t broken. Hey presto subtle Geo tweeks and lower etc in the 2011 just made it sooo much more modern.

mactheknife

Yep its a 2011 that i have passed onto my lad, i absolutely love it 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

This is what happens when you have an engineer rather than a creative running a manufacturing company.

I’m sure that Kevin is far better at graphic design and marketing wine labels than Dave is. The description of that funky office (as nice as it sounds) doesn’t scream “sound engineering design” to me. I bet it hasn’t got one of these;

Taken from here;
    http://www.mtb-mag.com/en/factory-visit-turner-suspension-bicycles/
    worth a look!

RickDraper
    Free Member

Evil customer service:

toons
    Free Member

Hi Damon, haha you did. awesome bike that with the coil CCDB 🙂

Probably the only bike I was gutted to be selling!

I wish Evil’s warranty was half as good as Turners!!

heihei

Sad that Evil are still behaving in this way. I was the one mentioned at the start of this thread who had issues with them over a cracked rear triangle. In the end, my LBS made good, and I’ll prob never know if they took the hit or not.
    They are stunning bikes, and despite my issue, I’ve just bought an Insurgent to go with it. Some might think it madness, but if you trust your LBS then you should be fine. In Evil’s defines, they seem to be having far fewer issues with the current frames than their first carbon frames, but still a shame they aren’t better at the CS bit.

Trimix
    Free Member

Sorry, but they deserve no defence. They made a product that they know fails, they continue to sell it to customers and they continue to fail to sort these issues.

Thats fraud, stealing and terrible service all in one.

You may rely on your LBS to bail you out when / if it goes wrong. But I would not want to give money to an organisation that finds it acceptable to knowingly continue to treat people like that.

There are other nice bikes out there made by honest businesses, support them and not these crooks.

CheesybeanZ

You may rely on your LBS to bail you out when / if it goes wrong. 

They’re not bailing you out their fulfilling a business contract .its their job too deal with all the hassle not the customers.

chakaping
    Free Member

They are stunning bikes, and despite my issue, I’ve just bought an Insurgent to go with it. Some might think it madness

it’s not just madness, it’s a step beyond that
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOJSM46nWwo[/video]

wrecker
    Free Member

They’re not bailing you out their fulfilling a business contract .its their job too deal with all the hassle not the customers.

Out of curiosity, exactly how does this work? Frames carry a manufacturers warranty against manufacturing faults. The average LBS (in fact all LBS’) are not qualified to judge a manufacturing fault. If they aren’t/can’t support a manufacturers warranty (as they aren’t the manufacturer), how long is the warranty and how is it defined outside of the law?

fd3chris
    Free Member

With threads like this cropping up again can you imagine what the frames are worth second hand when you definitely have no warranty? Buying one new is like burning cash. They should of stuck to hardtails, or just gone under and done us all a favour.

Stevet1
    Free Member

They should of stuck to hardtails, or just gone under and done us all a favour.

Wow bitter much? Have you ever even owned an evil full sus?

OP – interested to see how this turns out, please update this thread when you get any follow up from silverfish or Evil.

nickc

This is what happens when a media/design company decide to make bikes.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Any update OP?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘Evil bikes Warranty 2016- still terrible……!’ is closed to new replies.