Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Evil bikes – fixed their issues?
  • jsm

My eye’s has been caught by an evil insurgent. Have their previous cracking, bolts being inserted directly into the carbon and rumoured poor customer service issues been solved?

chrishc777
    Free Member

Mate has one, he’s still alive.

There was a thread about someone having issues with a faulty(?) Following which seemed to be dealt with pretty poorly if I remember correctly

jsm

it’s hard to judge, mtbr doesn’t through them in good light.I seem to remember a privateer from EWS had a shocking time with them.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Personally I can’t afford one so not my problem! But if I was dropping that kind of money I wouldn’t want the doubt…

honourablegeorge

Lovely looking bikes, but given the price and their unrivalled position of having the worst reputation in the industry for quality and customer service, I can’t se why you’d choose one.

Trimix
    Free Member

There was a thread on here about their appalling customer service, not to mention the bad design.

Given how shocking they treated customers previously Id not spend money on their products ever.

To me it doesn’t matter if they improve, its the fact they saw fit to be so bad in the first place that matters.

scotroutes

I heard they were going to be taken over by On One/Planet X….

stevied
    Free Member

I heard they were going to be taken over by On One/Planet X….

And be delivered by Yodel?

snooze
    Free Member

I built up an Evil The Following nearly a year ago and have been riding it 2-3 times a week, on my local trails and on a few uplift trips. Absolutely no problems at all except the main pivot bolt needs tightening every now and then and because of the DELTA design it’s a bit fiddly to clean the shock.

I thought long and hard about buying one. US Bike mag did quite a good background article on Evil and The Following which went someway to alleviating my concerns:-

http://www.bikemag.com/gear-features/blueprint/evil-following/#BxY5iwWeEwtKeocl.97

Also I understand that Evil are now being made in the same factory as Santa Cruz’s carbon frames……….hopefully to the same specs and Quality Control.

I can’t comment on the Insurgent, but The Following is just amazing to ride and personally I’m really glad I took the risk.

RicB

They’re supposed to be amazing to ride but I’d only buy one if I had £2.5-3k spare cash to buy a replacement frame if the Evil cracked, as I’d expect to be shafted by Evil warranty.

Which I don’t, nor do most people I suspect.

Also I understand that Evil are now being made in the same factory as Santa Cruz’s carbon frames……….hopefully to the same specs and Quality Control.

So buy a santa cruz then! Same price and possibly the best warranty around.

chakaping
    Free Member

Are you a gambling man?

Northwind

The new bikes look great but they’re not a company I’d give money to tbh.

wwaswas

So buy a santa cruz then! Same price and possibly the best warranty around.

This, a friend recently had a proper ‘above and beyond’ warranty replacement Santa Cruz frame from Silverfish.

chakaping
    Free Member

The new bikes look great

I’d say they were Marmite.

And almost as expensive now.

legend
    Free Member

This, a friend recently had a proper ‘above and beyond’ warranty replacement Santa Cruz frame from Silverfish.

Properly impressive, Silverfish aren’t even the importer 😉

RicB

Si from 18 bikes told me one customer emailed him with a photo of a possible crack in his Bronson (I think) frame. This was a Monday and said customer was due to go to the Alps the following Saturday. By the Friday he had a warranty replacement built up. That’s impressive – 5 days!

With most carbon frames costing £2.7k and being far more capable than the person riding them, you may as well make your choice based on warranty.

mattbee

I think they love k bloody awful anyway so I wouldn’t but one because of that but even if I thought they were lovely the stories I’ve seen would put me off. Dropped big that sort of money in a frame, the customer service becomes a part of it too.

fd3chris
    Free Member

As has been said, they must ride lovely as all the reviews state but it’s the companys attitude that I’ve read about so much on so many threads that stops me from ever giving them money. I’m always concerned as well that if you bought one and fancied a change , as I always do, who would buy an evil second hand ??

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I wouldn’t, despite the fact I really like the look of them. That said, I paid 2k for a yeti carbon frame, what the **** do I know….. 😆

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I kept looking at the Insurgent (frame only) for my next bike but the thread on here was enough to put me off, that and the shock area looks a ballache to clean/maintain.

Just buy what your gut tells you to.

wwaswas

lverfish aren’t even the importer 😳

godzilla
    Free Member

My mate got an Uprising, year before last, it did three swing arms and then a front triangle, he managed to get an Insurgent but I’m not hopeful that it will last.
    Looks cool tho and he go’s well on it.
    I would feel uncomfortable paying strong money for a used Evil anything.

jsm

backing away from the evil.

davidxbrown
    Free Member

I’ve had my Following a year now, probably done around 2000km on it, absolutely no regrets at all it is a truly fab bike, only issue I’ve had was a faulty shock which was replaced under warranty with no hassle at all…

I always buy what I want / like, life is too short to worry about old news, if you want an Evil then go for it, settling for something else and you might just keep wondering what if….

z1ppy

Again another happy Following owner here had it 16 trouble free months, and have no interest in replacing it, any time soon. I bought it because nothing else fitted my requirements at the time, Silverfish obviously thought they were good enough to deal with, and at worst I had the SOGA act to back me up :mrgreen:
    There have been a couple of threads on here about issues, which when the distributor was actually alerted to the issue, were resolved to the owner satisfaction. The design obviously isn’t flawed, otherwise we’d all be returning our frames. The shock area isn’t complicated, and cleaning it is a doddle, no worse than any other FS I’ve owned – I’ve yet to change bushing. These threads regularly turn into a “I wouldn’t buy one” bandwagon, that’s fine but they drown out or put off all the happy owner who have taken the plunge, from posting (as comments like “only an idiot would buy one” are common..).
    Not sure why you wouldn’t buy any frame 2nd hand over another, when it has no reputation for major issues & only 2 manufactures (that I know) actually transfer warranties to new owners.

All that said I can’t guarantee you won’t have any issues JSM, but I can’t guarantee that for any other manufacturer, and neither can anyone else.

wiggles
    Free Member

I know someone who took their reverb out to send it off and the sheath through the frame came out when they pulled the hose out… Not warranty according to evil

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Evil bikes – fixed their issues?’ is closed to new replies.