Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Evil 150mm carbon trailbike
  • honourablegeorge

thepodge – Member

I’ve never seen any frame material other than carbon fail.

Off the top of my head – I’ve seen a carbon Scott Ransom that snapped – it was the aluminium stays that broke though. And a Trek Remedy – as below.

Carbon, done properly, is stronger than Aluminium. “Done Properly” is your big unknown.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Aluminium bikes I have seen that have failed.
    Santa Cruz-Nomad,Heckler.
    Yeti-575,Asr,Arc
    Orange-223,224,5,st4.
    Cove-Hustler,Foreplay
    Commencal-ALL OF THEM.
    Intense-Tracer.
    Marin-Wolfridge,Mountvision.
    Trek-remedy,Ex,Liquid.
    Cannondale-Rush,Prophet,Scalpel.
    Giant-Anthem.
    Scott-Ransom.
    Specialized-Enduro,Stuntjumper,Epic.
    There’s plenty more I’ve forgotten over the years.

honourablegeorge

Sorry, here’s that Remedy

thepodge
    Free Member

That’s Photoshop propaganda by huge far east carbon manufacturers

vinnyeh

Great however don’t you guys drop your bike, get rock strikes, ride in gritty areas etc etc? Unless it has a hockey-stick finish I wouldn’t be interested.

Call me ‘oldskool’

I’ve had my Mojo Hd for over 18 months now, and it’s not been looked after any better than any bike I’ve had previously- I don’t have time to baby it, or clean it after every ride, and it’s the bike I ride 99% of the time, winter and summer.
    The only sign of wear is to the lacquer, which is now looking quite shabby. The carbon is unmarked- in fact last time I took it to pieces I was concerned that there was wear around the linkage/seatube area- the metal link is scoured and gouged from crap getting caught between it and the frame, but again, it’s only the lacquer on the frame that has worn- the carbon is untouched.
    The aluminium is definitely coming off worse.

I think frames like this and the Nomad are hugely over engineered and will only break in a really unlucky incident- the same as any other material.

vikingboy
    Free Member

I was sceptical about carbon too Hora so decided to put it to the test about 18 months ago. I built a carbon Enduro with as much carbon as you could throw at it and spent the last 18 months trying to break it. Spec include havoc carbon bars, sixc carbon crank, easton carbon wheels…..only thing I managed to break was the front haven when I took it for a blast down Aston hill. Other than that its been perfect and hasnt skipped a beat. Compared to the Aluminium Enduro I had previous to that for a short while, the carbon is a stiffer frame which I find helps hold lines when on the ragged edge. The fact is a few hundred grammes lighter wasnt much of an issue TBH. Certainly no trouble trusting carbon in my mind now.

Here’s the wheel which failed safely and continued to hold air (tubeless)

and the bike…looking a bit tatty now but still in one piece (this is with the havoc wheels I used whils the havens were away being replaced under warranty)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

In relation to the grit comment (and the rock strikes), surlely aluminium frames are far more suceptible to this? Aluminium is soft so wears quickly and you only have to look at most well ridden bikes downtubes to see the rock damage.

And if you’re prepared to accept aluminium over steel (which is generaly harder and more resistant to impacts), why not carbon over aluminium?

ernst
    Free Member

I’ve been running an Undead for the past few weeks. The build quality is pretty damn good (shit all lines up) , I’m usually a big hater of everything fancy and new. The undead pedals, Like a trail bike and has so much pop , carries so much speed its nuts. It feels 15-20% faster out of corners than the revolt .. can brake so much later and is so easy to flick around. This in my opinion is the fastest DH bike to date..

If and when this trail bike turns up .. its going to be pretty damn amazing, if the pedaling on the Undead is anything to gauge it by.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Evil 150mm carbon trailbike’ is closed to new replies.