Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Everesting
  • mcobie
    Free Member

In a moment of madness I committed to doing an Everest attempt in a few weeks for charity. As it’s getting closer I’m starting to panic (training hasn’t exactly gone to plan) and hoped that the STW hivemind might have some pointers on do’s and don’ts for the day. Any hints and tips would be very welcome.

the-muffin-man

Is this where you invite an Everest double glazing salesman to your home and see how long you can lead them on for before they leave in frustration?

wwaswas

Guy near me did 65 times up and down Ditchling Beacon on Saturday;

https://cordal.cc/2016/05/15/some-everesting-stats/

looks like there’s a website too http://www.everesting.cc/

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hmm, presumably you’ve got plenty of high mountains experience?
    Thats not the sort of place I’d ever want to go unless I was massively experienced in that sort of stuff.

allthepies
    Free Member

<whispers> It’s not climbing up Everest.

chakaping
    Free Member

Somebody off here did it on kirkstone pass, crazylegs I think?

I’m not in bad shape but I really don’t know if I could do it myself.

Can you spend four out five hours riding the same hill as a taster and see how that goes?

footflaps

Well WTF is the point then?

Is very dissapoint

Drac

Hmm, presumably you’ve got plenty of high mountains experience?
    Thats not the sort of place I’d ever want to go unless I was massively experienced in that sort of stuff.

jon1973
    Free Member

presumably you’ve got plenty of high mountains experience?

Rubbish. A good pair of flip-flops, half a litre of water and a couple of bananas and you’ll be fine. Oh, and a phone so you can take a selfie when you are at the top.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Shame, I thought surfmatt had outed himself in a massive show of cock waving

footflaps

Shame, I thought surfmatt had outed himself in a massive show of cock waving

It it was smurfmatt he’d have been planning on setting the world record for driving up Everest in an M3 without Oxygen whilst texting blindfolded….

warton
    Free Member

Don’t underestimate the massive undertaking this is. riding for 15+ hours is one thing, but riding uphill for the vast majority of that time is something else.

my mates between them made 4 attempts to do it last year. only one was successful.

What climb? you want a long one, otherwise it’ll be 24 hours +

Car at the bottom of the climb, filled with food water clothes etc is a good tip.

STATO
    Free Member

http://www.everesting.cc/the-rules/

Take caution when calculating your laps based on Strava segments, as these only show ‘elevation difference’ and not ‘elevation gain’ (i.e. if your climb has a few descents you want to ensure you are calculating laps based on the total elevation gain, and not simply the difference between the base and summit)

isn’t that wrong? Everest is the height it is, not how much climbing ‘gain’ you do to get there. Given they have made rules on not gaining an advantage from rolling starts this seems like a bit of a fudge.

footflaps

Everest is the height it is, not how much climbing ‘gain’ you do to get therea mountain in the Himalayas, this is just pissing about on a bike.

FIFY

bigyinn
    Free Member

allthepies – Member

bigyinn said » Hmm, presumably you’ve got plenty of high mountains experience?

Oh. 😳 I did wonder why the OP seemed a little casual about it all.

pictonroad

The very fittest craziest guy I know failed to do this at the first attempt. Don’t underestimate this challenge, I hope it’s as a team, because it’s not the sort of thing you want to be ‘roped into’, it needs serious thought.

Pick a hill where you can actually relax on the descent, my friend’s downfall was picking a tricky descent, after 12 hours of climbing (yes that is right) on a hot day with traffic he hit a rat on a 30mph downhill corner. It totally threw him mentally and he had to come back in the morning to finish it.

If you’re seriously in condition to consider climbing all day then you don’t need advice from me or the majority on here! 😯 😆

khani
    Free Member

Everest is the height it is, not how much climbing ‘gain’ you do to get therea mountain in the Himalayas, this is just pissing about on a bike

+1
    You’ll be saying teabagging isn’t about making tea next..

miketually
    Free Member
    MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Hopefully you have got the message by now but just to add my two penn’orth, this isn’t something you undertake lightly.

If you haven’t done enough/any training i would be looking to back out ASAFP.

you aren’t letting anyone down, especially if you give them notice i.e. tell them today.

What would be letting them down would be to cry off the night before or turn up half-cocked and ride like a dummy for an hour or two before quitting

steve_b77
    Free Member

There’s a hill near me, I’ve worked out it’d take 16 – 17 hours of riding to do it, fair chance i’d go mad

agent007
    Free Member

Surely these attempts should be made more realistic by adding increasing amounts of self applied asphyxiation the nearer you get to your goal? Perhaps a pounding high altitude headache and altitude related stomach problems could be induced by consuming a couple of bottles of vodka and a Lamb Madras with extra chili the evening before your challenge? Maybe you could also recruit volunteers at different points on route to hurl large rocks at you? All challenges should of course be completed in midwinter on the coldest snowiest day of the year, in a thick high altitude down suit for added realism.

Just a thought 😉

thegreatape
    Free Member

That’s my new favourite gif up there ^

qwerty
    Free Member

E-Bike & a big stash of batteries FTW! 😉

martinhutch

Surely these attempts should be made more realistic by adding increasing amounts of self applied asphyxiation the nearer you get to your goal? Perhaps a pounding high altitude headache and altitude related stomach problems could be induced by consuming a couple of bottles of vodka and a Lamb Madras with extra chili the evening before your challenge? Maybe you could also recruit volunteers at different points on route to hurl large rocks at you? All challenges should of course be completed in midwinter on the coldest snowiest day of the year, in a thick high altitude down suit for added realism.

Just a thought

As long as you add in a local bloke who’ll shoulder your bike for you if you’re feeling a bit knackered, that should be fine.

Looked at that website…geez, so many rules for a simple and light-hearted challenge.

crazy-legs

Somebody off here did it on kirkstone pass, crazylegs I think?

I did it on The Struggle (Ambleside to Kirkstone)
    http://veloviewer.com/everesting/315092465

Did it on my own, the only person I’d told was richpips off here (who Everested the Mam Nick climb out of Edale). Mostly cos I actually thought I’d fail and didn’t want to go shouting about it, have loads of people turn up to ride with me, support etc and then find out I’d gone home!

It’s just a mental thing – switch off and turn the pedals. The more I tried to think about it, the more confusing it became.

Got 2 other hills in mind, neither of which have yet been done so I’ll probably aim for one next month.

footflaps

If you come back without frost bite it doesn’t count.

Painey
    Free Member

Guy near me did 65 times up and down Ditchling Beacon on Saturday

Screw that!! The most reps I’ve done is 10 and that was incredibly boring.

ads678

I would have to summit my local ‘hill’ 178 times to get 8900m vertical!! Sod that.

crazy-legs

I would have to summit my local ‘hill’ 178 times to get 8900m vertical!! Sod that.

Yeah, there’s a knack to picking the “right” hill for it.
    Too steep and you just blow up
    Too short and you have to do it hundreds of times.
    Long (but shallow) means you’ll be riding a total of 200+ miles to do it.

The Struggle worked really well for me. 22 ascents. In the direction of the prevailing wind. Relatively quiet traffic wise. The descent itself it’s insanely dangerous. Total distance was “only” 128 miles. Nice voews (kind of impoprtant when you’re going to be spending all day trawling up and down it!)

I’d quite like to do it on something like The Stelvio. Only be about 8 climbs!

mcobie
    Free Member

Sorry for the silence…thanks for all the replies, both serious and those less so 🙂

No team effort on this; it’ll be just me and maybe the odd supporter turning up as/when. I’ve chosen the longest day to get as much daylight as possible. Have planned to start at midnight to hopefully get the night time done when I’m fresh with the aim to finish in daylight hours.

I’m fairly fit, just carrying a few kg more in weight than I’d like, but will work on that over the coming weeks.

The hill is less than perfect, but living in Northamptonshire that was always going to be the case! On Saturday I’m going to aim for a taster and see how 25% of the total height goes.

It’s fair to say that I’m bricking it…

M6TTF
    Free Member

that trek gif made my day LMAO

allthegear
    Free Member

Everest? As it happens, I was up at Tan Hill pub at the weekend…

Ah – Ted Moult…

Rachel

spekkie
    Free Member

Ditchling Beacon? You probably won’t need oxygen . . .

singletrackmind

Is it riding a road bike up Everset , from Northamptonshire?

DT78
    Free Member

Anyone know of a hill near Southampton that would be a decent one to have a look at for this challenge? I seriously thought about giving it a go as part of the Nepal charity last year.

crazy-legs

Anyone know of a hill near Southampton that would be a decent one to have a look at for this challenge? I seriously thought about giving it a go as part of the Nepal charity last year.

Jurassic Coast? Purbecks? Or going the other way, something on the South Downs?

Have a look on Strava heatmaps or segment search, it soon shows up the popular climbs.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Everesting’ is closed to new replies.