• This topic has 26 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Dibbs.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Everesting
  • wors

Was it terrahawk who did this last year? 27 times up Cragg vale, i’m intrigued……

richpips
    Free Member

Was it terrahawk who did this last year? 27 times up Cragg vale, i’m intrigued……

Nope Dave Haygarth had a go at it though.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/news/teams-and-riders/q/date/2014/06/23/the-longest-hill-on-the-longest-day

terrahawk
    Free Member

Aye, that was Dave. I was tandemming that weekend.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Do you have to officially register an “everest” or just do it?
    Thinking of doing one in Tenerife. 7 ascents of the big hill should do it.

bob_summers

AFAIK just ride it, upload to Strava and submit it to everesting.cc. Rules here http://www.everesting.cc/the-rules/

epicyclo

Everesting – what a great idea!

Could have a whole series of mountains as challenges. Highest in each continent. Where’s our mountaineers? – let’s have a list of some significant mountains.

Locally a few trots up Bealach na Bah would get a bit of height in a short distance, but after my last go up it on a SS I think I’d prefer something more gradual. Edit: just checked 14.2 Bealachs = 1 Everest.

As an ex-Tanzanian, Kilimanjaro appeals.

Sounds like a good challenge for a SS event, height, not distance.

But me? Hollanding sounds like a right challenge. 🙂

richpips
    Free Member

Do you have to officially register an “everest” or just do it?
    Thinking of doing one in Tenerife. 7 ascents of the big hill should do it.

Nah, just do it. Then send the gpx to Andy at everestng.cc

njee20
    Free Member

I seem to recall that Rob Lee did one last year.

Half tempted to have a go at it! Wonder if an off road hill could be easier/more interesting, or if that’s just stupid.

richpips
    Free Member

Wonder if an off road hill could be easier/more interesting, or if that’s just stupid.

Laurie Lambeth did it on a fire road http://www.everestinguk.com/2014/08/off-road-everesting-chapel-house-wood.html .

Problem is finding a hill that as you say is interesting, and all rideable. (No walking allowed)

theflatboy
    Free Member

I’d love to do one but doubt I ever will. If I did, however, I’d be sure to run at least two if not three GPS trackers just to be on the safe side!

weeksy

Some bloke did it up Streatley Hill near Goring recently. I think it was 89 ascents !!!!

njee20
    Free Member

Problem is finding a hill that as you say is interesting, and all rideable. (No walking allowed)

Plenty of those round here, trouble is that most don’t really gain much height, so you have to do more loops. Not sure what’s worse – lots of reps of a little climb, or fewer of a big climb.

Box Hill could be good – loads of riders to motivate you, excellent surface, very little traffic, easy and consistent gradient. You’d need to do 71 ascents, which would be 226 miles. If you allowed 15 minutes per effort it’s a whisker under 18 hours.

jimmy

A pal did it up Surprise view end of last year – 67 times or something. Or was it 97?

Either way, 24 hours of riding the same hill – oof.

richpips
    Free Member

A pal did it up Surprise view end of last year

~1 day and 9 hours!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Some bloke did it up Streatley Hill near Goring recently. I think it was 89 ascents !!!!

Ouch!

Think I’d rather do fewer laps of a big hill. 30 laps of a 300m hill doesn’t sound anywhere near as bad.

nedrapier

A friend of a friend everested Box Hill. Did one for luck at the end, and it was good he did – he got the altitude gain wrong, and without the +1, would have found out when he got home that he was short! Just imagine…

scandal42
    Free Member

Not sure I get this to be honest, riding the same hill over and over again seems like a waste of good riding time where you could be doing something not utterly mundane.

Still, whatever floats your boat I guess.

njee20
    Free Member

Not sure I get this to be honest, riding the same hill over and over again seems like a waste of good riding time where you could be doing something not utterly mundane.

That’s the point though isn’t it, it’s as much a mental challenge as a physical one.

richpips
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it. It was far from mundane.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Blimey. Just thinking about that for a minute. I can get up there in a little over 3 minutes but if I was doing this all day I’d want a twiddly little gear. I guesstimate up and down in 15 mins chunks pacing for 90 efforts. Non stop, that’d be 22.5 hours of going up and down Streatley Hill. Flippin eck 😕

weeksy

I seem to recall he was doing about 6mins up.

Which funnily enough for the Strava segement is about my best time hahahhahaa

Google…

http://app.strava.com/activities/220017119

https://sites.google.com/site/everestingstreatleyhill/

jedf9
    Free Member

I’m planning on giving it a go on one of my local climbs in Leicestershire this spring. Went out for a concept test a couple of weeks back, only did 3 hours of repeats, I think the most difficult part will be managing the boredom! I think I’ll have to convince my cycling friends to go on a rotation to keep me company!

DT78
    Free Member

I have toyed with the idea – I fancy the challenge. The key seems to be finding a hill at the right gradient you can spin up but is steep enough that you get a good climb to distance ratio

I checked all my local hills near soton and estimated it would take me over 24hrs…so I need to travel further afield.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I seem to recall he was doing about 6mins up.

I make that about 70 ascents. Just over 10 mins up and down. 12 hours. Pretty good going!

jedf9
    Free Member

The key seems to be finding a hill at the right gradient you can spin up but is steep enough that you get a good climb to distance ratio

I think an average gradient of 7-10% works best – for me in any case. Any steeper and it becomes a bit difficult to climb it all day, and any less means you have to ride more than 200 miles!

richpips
    Free Member

I have toyed with the idea – I fancy the challenge. The key seems to be finding a hill at the right gradient you can spin up but is steep enough that you get a good climb to distance ratio

Imho if you can find a hill with an average of 10% and not too much 20% it’s not too hard.

Nearer 5% and you have to ride a long way.

Dibbs
    Free Member

We where talking about it in the LBS the other day, but trying to find a big enough climb that isn’t too steep to climb all day is the problem round here (Taunton).

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Everesting’ is closed to new replies.