Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Ever thought about buying some woodland to build a trail centre?
  • jekkyl

127k would buy you this.
    Trussel Bridge Wood, Cornwall

Not very big but look at how steep it is, could make some great descenting switchbacks & jumps, add a ski-lift style lift back to the top and a cafe, charge people £15 for a half day, winner! If you won the lottery you could buy it for your own personal training ground, if you won several mill 127k isn’t much out of that. Anyway enough day dreaming, get back to work.

andyl
    Free Member

I think if I won the lottery I would just move or at least buy a house somewhere with amazing scenery to ride.

ndthornton
    Free Member

If you’ve won the lottery what are you charging people for – Scrooge!

LoCo
    Free Member

A mate has over 100 acres in West Scotland with a 500 ft drop top to bottom road access top and bottom, he wants me to put a trail in, only need about 6 months and a digger to sort it 😆

jekkyl

@ndthornton – lol, fair point, charging people would only be if I hadn’t won the lottery and was investing my own cash to make some profit. If I had won the lottery all STW forum readers would be welcome along with their Audis and Orange fives free of charge. 🙂

flange
    Free Member

You need to look closely at the wording behind what you can and can’t do when you purchase a wood. I looked at doing it with one local to me with the very same idea but the FC are pretty stringent about what you can/can’t build. I’d imagine cheeky trails you could get away with – turning it into a commercial venture not so much…

zilog6128

I don’t think they’d be any point charging people as you’d never be able to make it work commercially anyway so it would be better just to avoid all the red tape.

Better to make it free and encourage a good community of riders who can help out building & maintaining the trails!

PTR
    Free Member

Form a club, sell membership or shares, then buy the wood?

Speshpaul

No it won’t work! well look at Llandegla that fell on its arse.

to make it pay you need to be somewhere near lots of people. east north wales or M4 corridor for instance. if you a 1-1.5 hours travel then people will come for the day. unless you are providing food and lodging the over stoppers wouldn’d be making you anymore money.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

If you’ve won the lottery what are you charging people for – Scrooge!

Yeah!

If I had a trail centre I wouldn’t let anyone on it!

To much legal mumbo jumbo

Pieface

I thought about this but realised that if I did win the lottery I’d prefer to move to a Polynesian island and spend my life scuba diving

tonyd

That’s too gnar for a Five, I’ll have to upgrade to an Alpine 160 when I receive my invitation.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Thought about this for some time now, i have an inheritance farm back in my country in the far east and part of it was a mountain.. just waiting for my lottery ticket to win then off i go 😛 … Probably send half a mil check for further development of cannock chase 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

Stop dreaming – it will still be bloody raining and muddy even if you did win the lottery.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I think you’d be building a bit of trail, rather than a trail centre. be quite dull after a while. then again I’m not one for circling the same small bit of trail, half the attraction of biking to me is see decent scenery.

marvincooper

Stop dreaming – it will still be bloody raining and muddy even if you did win the lottery.

I wonder how much you’d need to buy the Eden project? Or build your own? Nice and hilly, no rain… combine that with an indoor ski slope under the same roof 🙂

jekkyl

@ organic355 OK the Glenstriven estate it is, 2k hectares of land next to an actual loch, perfect location with some hills. All we need now is 585k to buy it and maybe twice that again to build it and put up some accomodation, looks awesome though. How about an STW collective to get it done?

organic355
    Free Member

its also got its own pub!!!

organic355
    Free Member

and accommodation?? there seems plenty??

jekkyl

Mate, thats a daydream and half, what you could do with that land, move in first off and get Kev up for a grand design, beautiful scenery & no neighbours for miles around, imagine the view from your hot-tub as you sip an ice cold Peroni brought to you by your butler, awesome.

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

How many members of the ST forum are there? If everyone pledged £100 we could by it and all retire early to live in mtb Utopia. We could hunt wild haggis for tea and have a commune. 💡

timbo678
    Free Member

That Glenstriven place really is quite incredible…talk about heaven!

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

Just woke up from a lovely dream. Hey-ho, back to work.

organic355
    Free Member

right Im off to buy a lottery ticket

jekkyl

It’d need an indoor garden of some sorts and a micro brewery.

Have you seen the pics of that shooting lodge? think of the partys you could have there, attached snooker room and wine cellar, fk me… just incredible.

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

jekkyl – that’s genius. We could run a collective micro brewery to make enough money for spare parts. Did my first home brew over christmas. Dead easy if you don’t mind industrial strength beer.

alpin
    Free Member

jekkyl – Member

Mate, thats a daydream and half, what you could do with that land, move in first off and get Kev up for a grand design, beautiful scenery & no neighbours for miles around, imagine the view from your hot-tub as you sip an ice cold Peroni [i]brought[/i] to you by your butler, awesome.

really? Peroni?

CheesybeanZ

All we need now is 585k to buy it

paypal gift , shouldn’t take long on the classifieds 😉

jekkyl

*nods* yeah Peroni or Stella, I’m not fussy, any premium lager, each to their own.
    what’d be your tiple Alpin? some scotch perhaps?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Ever thought about buying some woodland to build a trail centre?’ is closed to new replies.