Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)
  • Ever been proper scared?
  • brakes
    Free Member

tired. hungover. recovering from disclocated collar bone. caught in strong undercurrents 200m out to sea off Tenerife. head starts to go underwater….
    started to panic.
    proper proper scary.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Been proper scared, cried a bit. Worked out ok. Good luck Big fella. Not that you need it. X

hora
    Free Member

Yes when my son was born. Very scared. The huge fear of **** up/of it all.

I’ve seen and been in some ‘unusual’/dangerous situations- always been strangely calm. Weird.

But then I’ve never been in your position ton. I think its natural to be apprehensive I too would.

Your a good bloke, a good life and you’ll win.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Oh yeah, forgot about that…when hora’s son was born.

crankboy
    Free Member

Yes but only after the event when looking back, when all was good . Soon you will be in the same place. All the best.

Three I can think of to hand…

Mrs STR being rushed off for an emergency C section, whilst our unborn daughter was being starved of oxygen.

Seeing a Peugeot 206 spiralling out of control towards the front of my truck the other week.

Changing a tube in the woods in the pitch black on my own, with bears and zombies crashing about through the trees.

Good luck Tony!

Ambrose

Been scared, me? Pah!

Actually, yes, loads of times and all self- inflicted whilst pushing it rock-climbing/ ice- climbing WW paddling. And caving- that’s a whole different ball-game. Sumps- wow, what a buzz!

Weirdly, those self-inflicted terrifying moments that came back to haunt me were ones that I was in control of. I had made the decisions that led up to the event and thus it was my abilities/ mortality at stake. I had no one to blame but myself. ‘What if…’ was what kept me awake.

I’ve had one or two ops, I have always trusted the surgeons implicitly. Having a good long chat with them always helped to alay my fears. They haven’t really worried me, but they were only on my teeth and my foot.

And as someone above said- MTFU! 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Realised I wasn’t tied in while pushing my grade climbing to get somebodies gear back. Reversed it then turned into a shaking mess. Still get some flash backs over 10 years later.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Hey ton, just keep reminding yourself that you will be fine. Do things that you find calming, you want to be as relaxed and as healthy as you can be for the operation. 😉 Have you got a pet, such as a dog? Or a spouse? Touch helps to calm people.

What type of op is it?

rsvktm

Hope all goes well Tony
    Brother went in for a angiogram as was getting chest pains, week after was getting a double heart bypass as was 90-95% blocked. He’d been cycling up till a few weeks before until pain was getting too bad, we’d all thought he was being a bit of a drama queen as didn’t look anything wrong with him and was fit.
    You are not alone in being scared,when visiting hospital everyone I spoke to who was due an op was properly bricking it, but within the week he was at home and 6 weeks later is healing fast. NHS gets it’s detractors but when the s..t hits the fan they were fantastic.
    All the best to you and your family and hope that this is the fix you need.
    Peter

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Ton, I hope you post something on Thursday on this thread along the lines of ” what was I worrying for, thanks NHS” etc etc….

Hope it goes better than well.

And for the thread, last time I was proper scared, on a waterside at Duinrell in Holland. 4 floor drop at what seemed like 60 degrees (probably wasn’t), all the way down I was wondering how I’d explain to the hospital just why I stuffed my Speedos up my arse.

metalheart
    Free Member

Ton, my old boy (he’ll be 80 next January) had a pulmonary oedema last October and had to have a double heart bypass. He was on the table a fair while and lost 6 pints of blood. I was round past them on Friday and he’d just come back from playing bowls (and he’d played golf earlier in the week).

I can remember being plenty scared back then, especially when my mum had a minor stroke around the same time.

Thing is we are all fine now.

It’s natural to be apprehensive. Yer a belligerent old bugger, you’ve a strength to help you over come.

You’ll be posting again by the weekend.

samuri
    Free Member

Yes, yes I have. Similar to your experience Tony, different body part. Shitting myself then. Good luck, it’ll be fine.

Lets compare huge scars afterwards

Junkyard
    Free Member

going in for heart surgary on wednesday…..proper shitting myself now

Dont be scared I am sure they will find one 😉

All the best fella. I think we can all understand why you are worried but it will be reet and you knows it.

Pigface
    Free Member

Ton try to not think about it, good luck for Wednesday you will be fine.

ton

cheers all….was a bit maudling last night..too many ales… 😳

i will changed the word scared for nervous….. 😀

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

cheers all….was a bit maudling last night..too many ales…

i will changed the word scared for nervous.
    What are you having done?
    The worst bit for me when I had my bypass was hiccups the day after. Other than that it was just the boredom of not being able to do owt.

postierich
    Free Member

My partner decided she wanted to marry me a day before my open chest surgery took my mind off things riding hellvellyn the day before also helped and getting pished on my stag night with close chums!

You will be reet!

Rich

ton

i am going in for the removal of my left atrial appendage. and hopefully some more ablation work to cure my af.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

UJ brokevon my windsurfer on the outside at Sotavento.
    Force 7 cross off blowing me towards Africa and my mates had just assumed I was in a bar chatting someone up.
    Over an hour in the water and I’d pretty much given up.

Best of luck to OP.

Chew
    Free Member

Sounds like a big op Tony and because its all out of your control its natural to feel scared.

These doctors know what they are doing so you’ll be in very safe hands.

Hopefully we can get you fixed and back out on the road 8)

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

i am going in for the removal of my left atrial appendage. and hopefully some more ablation work to cure my af.

Sounds like you’ve been there before.
    They’ve had more practice since then.
    Good luck; you’ll be fine!

postierich
    Free Member

you will be ok if the ops not on a friday!

lowey

Hey Ton.. sorry missed this thread.

Only really shit it twice… 25 years ago had a discectomy, still quite rare back then and told that due to the nature of the problem I stood a good chance of being paralysed, or at least incontinent.

Othertime was finding my eldest at the bottom of a ravine after her rope swing had snapped. Single worst day of my life and proper shit my pants when I spotted her in a heap.

I’ll have everything crossed for you Tony…. and when your reet… we will do this again….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oztkar]ton del[/url] by lowey.com, on Flickr

butcher

I’m not a very keen flier. Talking about the control thing, I suppose it’s similar. Once you’re up there you’re at the mercy of luck, and the hands of the guy operating the plane. I can go over and over how safe people tell me it is, but it never stops me thinking about that chance…

I find it helps to think about the goals. The reason you’re doing it in the first place. The positives take your mind off the negatives.

ton

lowey……we will deffo be having a celebration ride if it all goes to plan. 8)

D0NK

Had a few times where it has felt pretty scary at the time but looking back it’s wasn’t all that.

Good luck Ton, hope it all goes well.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Yes.
    Went on a snorkelling trip on the Great Barrier Reef a good few years back. On the way back, they threw out a cargo net behind the boat for people to hang on to and get towed along.
    Being stupid, i went on first, which meant I ended up right at the end of it, so aswell as getting towed through the waves, I was getting kicked in the face by the people further up the net. I could barely catch a breath and was literally holding on for dear life. Heart racing just reminiscing.

Good luck with the heart surgery. It’ll be reet.

timbur
    Free Member

2 years ago my FIL went in for a full heart replacement after his rare condition deteriorated quicker than the doctors thought
    That was scary.
    Now he’s a different man. He even rides a bike.
    Ton- you’ll be fine. Post up on the other side of it.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Swimming, got a bit tired far from shore almost went under a couple of times but managed to get to a boat in time. Very frightening. Had some jitters last time I went under the knife but as people have said you will be fine, some nerves are perfectly normal.

LimboJimbo

Twice.

Being caught in a rip tide and feeling myself being dragged further out to sea no matter how hard I swam. Secondly, watching a crash team resucitate my infant son.

We are both still alive and kicking.

Sending you positive thoughts.

P.S. Have they said whether you can still have fish pie when you are recovering?

xc-steve
    Free Member

None quite as mad as what i’ve read but surfing (I’m very inexperienced) in hossegor on a body board, out the back way out of my depth big wave thinking woop her we go, wipe out get slammed into the sea bed probably 12ft below me knocking the air out of my lungs so no easy buoyancy swim up to find another wave waiting bam back into the seabed this time I swim up expecting the same thing to happen again so aim to just take in air luckily no more waves, grab my board and swim in as soon as possible… havn’t been surfing again since.

Second incident was wify waking up screaming (night tremor), falls back to sleep right away. I’ve a massive shot of adrenaline and as such can’t sleep and due to wife being fast asleep have me thinking did that just happen!

DenDennis
    Free Member

All the best for Wednesday, Ton.

you’ll be in good hands so you’ve just got to let the professionals do their thing and I look forward to seeing more of your posts on here in the days to come! 8)

honeybadgerx

Whilst doing my undergrad dissertation project on the west coast of Ireland. Me and my pal walking along the tops of the cliffs of Moher (circa 200m high, near vertical sea cliffs, flat grassy field at the top, rocks of doom at the bottom) about 3-4m from the edge, when all of a sudden we hear a rumbling noise from the field inland. Cue 20-30 bullocks appearing over the horizon heading straight for us. There was nothing to hide behind, with the nearest drystone wall about 200m away and the bullocks at ~50m and closing, the only thing separating us was a single strand electric fence, hanging limply off the very occasional rickety post. Charging bullocks one side, 200m drop the other, two students rapidly losing control of their bowels in the middle. We just froze, the bullocks charged towards us and then stopped ~0.5m shy of the single strand of wire fence, snorting. At that point we un-froze and legged it to the edge of the field, bullocks following us, in what was probably my quickest ever 200m time, despite being in hiking boots with a full rucksack. Many pints of guinness were consumed shortly after (further unrelated to fear loss of bowel control may also have occurred). Despite years of climbing, summer and winter, in various different ‘interesting’ scenarios, I’ve never truly thought ‘this is it’ apart from that moment in a field.

All the best for Weds.

leffeboy

Best wishes for Wed from here as well ton. I hope you manage to get a good nights sleep on Tues and the recovery goes as swiftly as is possible. When I was in hospital the guy in the bed next to me was in for a heart op and he was in and out of the room in half the time I was. I was truly impressed

lemonysam
    Free Member

I had a climbing situation where I’d made a complete misjudgement of the line of a route and was looking at a 40m groundfall if I couldn’t make the last, very tricky, move to a rusty, loose bolt which I then had to abseil off.

I genuinely and rationally believed I was going to die, my girlfriend was ready to throw herself off the rock to try and take in enough rope to keep me off the deck but there was no way it would work. Fortunately I made the move – in floods of tears – and the bolt held for the abseil so here I am.

I have in the past flashed back to it whilst asleep and woken up crying and also relived it numerous times in the wee small hours when sleep evades me. Oddly, it was a route very near where those murders in the alps were a few years back and that being on the news gave me a huge flashback.

Best of luck with the surgery!

Lifer
    Free Member

One of my mates was larking about at the top of Moher, and then lost balance. Time stood still for a little while until he managed to fall the right way! Again followed by lots of guiness.

Worst I’ve had personally was getting separated from a group I was in when caving, to this day I don’t know how. Was in the middle of a crawl with people in front and behind, turned a corner and was alone. Retraced my steps and was alone. Sat where I was, shouting and getting no reply. Seemed like hours and I started getting cold, thinking I had to move but was in unfamiliar system and about 90 mins in, was proper bricking it and swearing my head off when my mate’s grinning face appeared. I’d ‘only’ been gone for 20 mins they had to wait for everyone to get through the crawl before coming back to look, had found me by turning off the lights every few metres looking for mine, then ‘following the swearing’. Cue lots of jokes about Morlocks for the rest of the trip, but I really didn’t mind. I’m just glad I didn’t get to meet Michael Buerk.

vintagewino
    Free Member

good luck in the op! some great horror stories in this thread too.

mine: took a short cut down the colouir philippe in Grands Montets on a too-skinny snowboard with knackered edges. Poor snow and a few beers and smokes had been consumed after a boardercross event. Lost my heel edge and started sliding, fast. Jammed the edge in which flipped me right over and after a tumble I was on my chest sliding even faster head first. definitely thought I was going to die then, if I’d hit a rock I would have been toast and there were a few about. somehow I managed to flip again and get my board in and shudder eventually to a stop. edges have been razor sharp ever since.

flyingmonkeycorps

Good luck Ton. Sure you’ll be grand.

Mine was a walk over Carsaig Arches on Mull. I’d walked down the beach to get there on my own (including being startled by a goat behind a rock; not sure who jumped first, me or him!) and got to the arches at high tide. To get to the second arch you had to walk over the first one – probably 30ft up above waves crashing on big, pointy rocks. It was raining, and the track was little more than a goat track, less than a foot wide and had in a few places washed off the edge.

I paused for a moment, and thought to myself “should I do this? I AM on my own”. I then decided that being on my own made no odds, as if I fell I’d be dead anyway, so on I went.

After a sphincter clenching, grass clutching few minutes (that felt like hours) I made it to the other side, dropped down to a gorgeous beach and savoured the moment.

Then I had to go back again.

Lifer
    Free Member

flyingmonkeycorps – Member
    Then I had to go back again.

Yep! Often worse IME 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Ever been proper scared?’ is closed to new replies.