Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Ever….
  • emma82
    Free Member

Got up from your desk, picked up your things, walked out of your office and not gone back? If yes did it feel good/regret it? If no, can you try it for me and let me know how it works out plz.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Half there. I’ve picked up my stuff at 11am and walked out. When questioned on my return, I told them it was fight or flight so they should be glad I left!

Nothing more was ever said.

Olly
    Free Member

i will keep an eye on this one myself 🙂

emma82
    Free Member

Brilliant onzadog. So very tempted at points today instead I went to the loo and cried. Just trying to come up for alternative work that would bring in enough money but doesn’t involve 9-5 office work. So far I’ve come up with
    *stay at home mum but dont want to get fat before my wedding 8)
    *babysitter/dog walker 😀 but I’m probably too old
    *stripper 😳 but my mum would kill me
    *bar work but been there before and it would probably drive me mad but could get work quite quickly as have friends with pubs.

3/4 way through a business degree so not qualified yet either so I’m stuffed whatever I do. 🙁

chewkw
    Free Member

Yes, did that long time ago for a door to door sales job.

I did not feel anything except saying goodbye to one of the sales guy and moved on. Felt nothing. It’s like walking into a room full of people staring at me then I walked out to worry about my next income … no time to feel anything put it this way.

Nothing to regret … it was a cowboy company anyway.

BoardinBob

Got up from your desk, picked up your things, walked out of your office and not gone back? If yes did it feel good/regret it? If no, can you try it for me and let me know how it works out plz.

Yes. Even managed to get my desk fan in my bag with the excuse that it was going to be really hot that weekend and I’d need it at home. Never went back on the Monday. The company went bust a few months later which came as no surprise to me. Horrible place to work full of horrible people.

highclimber
    Free Member

I got very close but in the end I was made redundant. winner!

But, 8 months later, I am still unemployed with only irregular work at £50/day, JSA and a very generous girlfriend to support me

before you ask; yes, I do declare my irregular work!

porter_jamie

all the dog walkers in my area are flat out busy and can’t take on any more work. they charge 10 to 15 quid an hour so you wouldnt have to walk many dogs a day (cash?..) to make a living (they walk several at once)

donsimon
    Free Member

Did a similar thing years ago, I was on the sick for a week and enjoyed it so much that I never went back.

3/4 way through a business degree so not qualified yet either so I’m stuffed whatever I do.

How are you finding the course?

emma82
    Free Member

I’m really enjoying the course, hard work but I am liking it, much more than actual work at the moment but I like to keep my brain working. I think that might be the problem at the moment, my job really isn’t at all taxing, I type letters and arrange meetings and take notes at the meetings. It’s just dull.

donsimon
    Free Member

The bad news is things on the job side probably won’t change that much after the degree. I was thinking more on the lines that if the degree work wasn’t really too taxing, you wouldn’t lose anything by binning it and looking at opening your own business.

project
    Free Member

Yep, worked for a so called charity, the woman in chArge was so power crazed and demented, she believed everyone was trying it on, she even counted out the tea bags every day, after a few weeks I realised she was fiddling, anD abusing the funds.

She realised wghen i started asking questions, which she would not answer.

She decided to issue me with a series of written warning 3 in a weekk, so i walked out one night, went to GP, got a sick note, next day, walked back home, met postie who gave me a recorded delivery letter, telling me i was sacked,for gross misconduct

I never went back, and it was like a huge weight off my back, went to sign on, and the JC rang her to see why i had been sacked, she gave them a load of greif about me, lady in JC put it on speakerphone, JC lady eventually put phone down, and told me obviously you resigned, have your dole straight away and go on a self employed training scheme for 6 months and we pay you more money.

JUST DO IT, AND TAKE WHATEVER IS NOT FIXED DOWN, AS COMPENSATION

emma82
    Free Member

No way I’m binning the degree, it’s only just starting to make sense. I haven’t actually got a clue what I want to do though so until I work that out I suppose I’m stuck. I’m just fed up of how I’m treated by other people at the moment or people’s reaction to me because of my position but given that people generally treat me like dirt I think I’ll just start behaving the same way back and see how they like it.

gusamc
    Free Member

worked at a place where X had a desk with 3 screens round it (sides and front) and didn’t really do the communication thing, anway one day X stood up, snapped their pencil in half, placed both halves neatly on the desk, walked out and was never seen or heard of again.

so I guess that doesn’t help much.

emma82
    Free Member

ha, that’s brilliant gusamc! Just how I feel at the moment 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

No way I’m binning the degree, it’s only just starting to make sense.

I wasn’t suggesting you should. Everything will fall into place in its own good time.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I remember a chap a school who in an exam, climbed onto his desk and declared that he was an orange and that oranges don’t do exams . He then just walked out.

boblo
    Free Member

Yes, 18 months ago. After a very unpleaseant exchange with my boss and his boss, I came out of the office, cleared my desk and never went back. Forgot my Kensington lock tho. P’raps its still there 🙂

emsz
    Free Member

healing vibes my lovely,

only been working a few months and already wondering how I’m going to cope with it for the rest of my life!!

althepal

Loved it when I walked out of my stressful 9 to 5 office job.. Had been getting more and more stressful as I went on. Remember caring less and less on my last week and my caseload getting less and less of my attention. Boss was a non functioning alky, area boss was her best mate, lot of pressure to meet targets and was affecting my
    life outside of work.. Ie, finishing on Friday night and getting stressed about going back in on the Monday!!
    Still see some of my old colleagues that still work there, just makes me glad I got out when I did!! Can’t really remember my last day.. Went to the pub at lunchtime and can’t remember the afternoon!!

emma82
    Free Member

oh binning job not degree, sorry, misread it. Wouldn’t know what business to open up, I have no talents or skills of any sort 🙁

Moses

Yes, working for a small software company in Bath. It had some nice people and a controlling boss who had arranged the desks so that the staff couldn’t talk to each other. I didn’t like aspects of the company, so I wrote a report on what was wrong with it, and on Friday afternoon handed him the report, talked it through, then left.
    🙂 I’m pleased I got out.

donsimon
    Free Member

Maybe you can’t see anything at the moment, but you’d be surprised at what you can do. You say your mind is active and the job isn’t taxing which would suggest that your own business might be better suited to you rather than working for someone else, hence my question about the course.

crikey
    Free Member

Often have days when I would love to never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever go back, but so far have always got up and gone back.

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Yes, I walked out at Standard Life, i figured it was either that or lose my sanity.

I took a stop-gap job at a local authority parks department, and 20 years later i’m still there.

It’s not the best paid job in the world, but i like the work and the other staff. Great hours, holidays, and I commute on bike,[2 miles].

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yes, I have. It was with a company in the bike industry as well, who I shall not name out of decency for many of the people there.

I joined. It was not what had been discussed in interviews and beyond. It was very, very different. I left. I had nothing to go to, but my time there had made me very unhappy, so I left. Just walked out. I felt an immediate release, as if a weight had been lifted.

My career since has gone rather well, I’ve even gone back and worked with many of the people at the company in question (Hence the anonymity) and it was great. My career’s got even better since then, though!

Simple rule – If you’re not being challenged, if you’re not happy, if you’re not valued – Look for something else where you will be.

hels
    Free Member

I did once, many years ago, working on quite a stressful project.

(also at Standard Life spooky)

Walked across the road, sat in the pub for the afternoon drinking pints. Got quite drunk and went home.

Woke up next morning and just went in to work to see what happened.

Nothing. They either didn’t notice or decided to let it slide.

Got treated better after that.

molgrips
    Free Member

I was microns away from having a screaming rant at my bully of a boss, throwing my security pass in his face and storming out at one job. Didn’t do it though! I perhaps would have if I’d have been single though.

Very nearly did once, due to massive stress.

Thought better of it and a few weeks later voluntary redundancy came up, so I snapped their hand off, took £13k off them and set up my own business.

Business turnover was double my projected figure in the first year and I don’t even know the meaning of the word ‘stress’ any more.

emma82
    Free Member

well, I’ll have to just calm myself down a bit, can’t really afford to leave if I’m honest but think I’ll start looking around at other jobs, at least it’ll give me something to take my mind off it. I’m definitely not challenged and I definitely don’t enjoy it anymore that’s for sure. Have spent most of this afternoon crying so much I now can hardly see and feel like I’ve got an ape banging on my head so I’m going to bed.
    At least it’s Friday tomorrow then mayhem Saturday to look at the shiny bikes 🙂

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Hi Hels, I met you at Glentress 7, did you enjoy the family ride/sprint on Tuesday night?

Neil and I guided the local ride-out today,[Cademuir ridgeline]and yesterday [Gypsy glen].

uplink
    Free Member

31/1/79 – that was the day I walked out of a job whilst on my way to buy a sandwich
    It was a Wednesday & I was truly pissed off with the whole lot

I just kept walking though – for the next 17 weeks without contacting anyone
    I ended up at Weston super mare, doing maintenance work for cash in hand, before finally plucking up the courage to go home and face the music.

To this day it still upsets me to think of what I put people through

tazzymtb

no, but tomorrow could well be the day

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m rapidly learning to just not give a sh*t instead, go in, do my work, get (well) paid and go home.

emma82
    Free Member

Emsz working is awful 🙁 been doing it since I was 16, well full time since 19 but whatever, it never gets better. What’s happened to yeti lately? Did he get a ban or a life?

DickBarton

Stripper, you say? From what I’ve heard, they make a fair amount of money…suspect starting hours aren’t great but if you’ve got the body then why not – you are exploiting the blokes willing to pay so cash in and reap the rewards.

Failing that, accept that 9-5 is likely to have the most ‘opportunities’ for new work and start looking around. For 9-5 work I’d class that as anything that starts from 07:00 or ends around 18:00 (ideally not a job that goes from 07:00-18:00 each day!) and means you aren’t self-employed. Self-employed has many benefits but in the current climate, they just don’t seem as appealing as getting a steady income from working for someone else.

emsz
    Free Member

Think he’s on Hols?

haven’t been here much recently myself TBH.

Working sucks. Can’t wait for placement to be done if I’m honest.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Yip. I wanted a week off so that I could have a holiday with my wife a couple of months before the birth of our first child. They refused to let me have the time off for no reason whatsoever. So I just said “ah **** it, i quit.” Unbeknown to them I had something else lined up.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I did. Many a time. Felt great afterwards. One day I decided to work for myself. I’m incapable of working for somebody else it seems.

emma82
    Free Member

God, I just want to ring in tomorrow and say sorry, can’t do it any more. Actually don’t even want to ring, just want to disappear off the radar.

How dare he go on holiday! Who’s he on holiday with?! He’s on here to much to have friends in RL.

I’m really going to have to force myself up an out tomorrow 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Ever….’ is closed to new replies.