Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Evening Riding In And Out Of Cardiff
  • cyclepathologist
    Free Member

In a rare turn of events, I’m working in Cardiff for four days next week. I’m not accustomed to working away from home but I’m pretty sure I won’t be sitting in my hotel room each evening.
    I can take a road or cyclocross bike if there’s any point, otherwise I’ll find a pub and get slowly drunk.
    Is there any decent riding in or from around the Millenium Stadium area? I’ve never been to Cardiff so I have no idea.
    I’m heading there on the train so I can’t drive to a different area with a bike.
    Thanks

creamegg
    Free Member

From stadium head into bute park and follow bike path at side or river and head north / upstream. You’ll eventually head up into castell coch woods where there are enough trails for at least an evening. Finding them shouldn’t be too hard as the woods are pretty small. There’s stuff on both sides of the valley. Send me an email and I’ll try and get more info over to you.

There’s more stuff again, but friends how long a ride you want.

Edit: I think you should be ok on a cyclocross, but mtb may be better

gwaelod
    Free Member

Aye follow taff trail from city centre up to tongwynlais then up into the woods behind Castell Coch.

cyclepathologist
    Free Member

Thank you for the pointers. Road or ‘cross bike only I’m afraid. Is the road bike riding any good round there?

crazy-legs

Road riding can be ace but it can also be a total pain of being trapped on endless ring roads, dual carriageways and huge roundabouts. Only really worth it if you can get out with a club to show you the decent roads. Cardiff is a nightmare to navigate now, there’s been so many huge new roads and bypasses go in.

I’d go with the CX and do the Taff Trail/Castell Coch options above.

SaxonRider

I live close to where you’re staying, and could probably show you a good loop to do on your road bike.

Email in profile.

m1kea
    Free Member

Had a few of nights in Cardiff recently and did this route a couple of times – https://www.strava.com/activities/342155848 which has a lovely little climb in it.

I was doing my rides before 6:30 and after 7pm to avoid traffic so the roads were surprisingly pleasant.

Taff trail sounded interesting but not on a road bike.

Oh and probably a good idea to have some lights with you as well?

dragon
    Free Member

Do the Taff Trail it will be good on a CX bike, more pleasant and hopefully easier to follow than any road riding around Cardiff.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Evening Riding In And Out Of Cardiff’ is closed to new replies.