• This topic has 22 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by fubar.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Evans, Deansgate Manchester…
  • piemann
    Free Member

I need a new seatpost for a ride tomorrow, nothing out of the ordinary – a standard 27.2mm mtb post. I looked on the Evans Website and found 20 posts for less than £50. Great thinks I, plenty of choice, I’m sure I can pick something up in the store. Nope!!!

Out of 20 posts, there’s nary a single one of them available to go in and buy. 1-2 days wait for them to be delivered to the shop.
    If I buy something online, I expect to have to wait. If I go into a shop that actually sells bike stuff over a counter, and ask for a REALLY VERY COMMON COMPONENT I would hope to be able to leave with said component pretty much immediately. With Evans, that option is less commonly available than other bike shops.

Honestly though, what kind of bike shop doesn’t have seatposts in stock?

Am I too old fashioned to understand what passes for their business model?

Does no-one else need things at short notice?

Bah!

AlexSimon

I take it you walked to Harry Halls and got sorted?

eightyeight
    Free Member

That is unusual – they always seem well stocked when I go in. Can’t they whip one off one of the display bikes? 😀

eightyeight
    Free Member

Yea, HH was my other suggestion.

You could always go to the Bikerooms on Deansg….. sorry I can’t finish that sentence and keep a straight face.

eightyeight
    Free Member

Sorry to bombard. I just realised I have a spare seat post and live on Deansgate if you need one Piemann?

portlyone

27.2? Do you have canti’s too?

eightyeight
    Free Member

Mmmm….not sure I have to be honest. After I fitted my reverb post I put the post and a few bits and pieces in a plastic bag and popped it in the garage.

binners

I went in to Evans one lunchtime, to buy some Avid brake pads. They didn’t have any in stock as it was such a niche, little needed part.

I had a wander around for a bit, to drool over some of the blingy bikes. During that time, they sold 3 hybrids.

I began to understand why they couldn’t really give a toss about stocking stuff like brake pads, or seat posts

piemann
    Free Member

eightyeight – that sounds ideal.

I work just off Deansgate at Castlefield. Are you around today?

eightyeight
    Free Member

I am, would after work suit best?

Can I apologise in advance if it’s not the right size?

It’s the original seat post from a 2012 Boardman FS pro if that helps?

jameso

I began to understand why they couldn’t really give a toss about stocking stuff like brake pads, or seat posts

In reality it’s more about weekly deliveries, logistics in replenishing a number of stores from central warehouse, carrying as wide a range as poss but not overloading shops with slower-moving items / balancing that with keeping regularly needed items in stock etc. Not an easy job really, appreciated that pads don’t take up much space tho. I’ve always been able to get my Avid and Shimano pads I need off the shelf in the local Evans, for balance.

AlexSimon

It’s the original seat post from a 2012 Boardman FS pro if that helps?

Highly unlikely to be 27.2. It’s only really steel frames that come in that size.

eightyeight
    Free Member

Thanks Alex. In which case, sorry Piemann. Unless you want to have a look anyway?

piemann
    Free Member

Hi eightyeight,

Thanks for the kind offer but I’ve just phoned Harry Halls and they’ve put one aside for me.

Iain

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

If you replaced it with a reverb its definitely not 27.2!

Also- 27.2 only in steel frames?
    All the xc carbon hardtails we sell have 27.2 posts (for flexy “comfort”).

cynic-al
    Free Member

Loads of non steel frames are 27.2.

One branch of a chain of shops that does online will never have everything displayed on the website, the website is showing everything in stock in all the stores.

binners

A quick look on Halfrauds tells me that the’ve got Tioga seat posts in 27.2 in Stock in Cheetham Hill. If you pop up there now, you could get a decent kebab for Friday lunch too. Its a win/win 😀

AlexSimon

Also- 27.2 only in steel frames?
    All the xc carbon hardtails we sell have 27.2 posts (for flexy “comfort”).

Loads of non steel frames are 27.2.

ok – sorry. I didn’t realise carbon hardtails were using it.
    None of the Boardmans though.

hora
    Free Member

Evans works well because they sell kit fast daily that no on on here would probably even sniff at. If I had a bikeshop it’d be full of £200-600 bikes.

binners

Hora – Like I said, In the 20 minutes I was in there one lunchtime they sold 3 hybrids in the 400-500 quid price range. Or as people on here will know it – nearly enough for an almost acceptable pair of forks 😉

hora
    Free Member

I’d also have only female sales staff in denim shorts and tight cotton white tshirts with ‘I like to ride’, ‘ask me about a testride’ or ‘riding is good for your health’

binners

When are we setting our shop up then? I’ll get my shorts on, and order the t-shirts

fubar
    Free Member

Honestly though, what kind of bike shop doesn’t have seatposts in stock?

The kind that also thinks it’s a strange idea having demo loan saddles (Evans Deansgate also). The guy I spoke to (who was pleasant enough about it) seemed to think this was an odd request. In stark contrast the guy at Harry Halls understood the concept and suggested that if I didn’t like one of the Specialized saddles I could just return / exchange it (think also offered Fizik).

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Evans, Deansgate Manchester…’ is closed to new replies.