Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Evans Cycles Employment Enquiry
  • monksie
    Free Member

Does anybody know what the salary is for a sales assistant, full time, aged 21 or over outside of London or south east?
    The asker is not bothered about “they’re monkies so get paid peanuts” etc. but thank you anyway.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I looked into it a couple of years back and if memory serves, it was less that £15k. As much as they said they wanted me, I just couldn’t afford to take what they were offering.

monksie
    Free Member

The asker needs it to be £16k minimum to make it an option. Is that wholly unrealistic?
    Thanks for the reply Onzadog.

nealglover
    Free Member

From what I know through a friend £16k should be doable.

If not a bit more (depending on location)

Onzadog
    Free Member

It might be doable. It was a couple of years ago for a new store rather than an established one. Plus it needed to be much more for it to be an option for me so there was no point negotiating. Too much dead ground in the middle to cover.

al1196
    Free Member

I worked there a couple of years ago. (I was 19 at the time) My basic salary was about 12,500 I think, but it ended up more like 13,500-14,000 as you get bonuses based on the stores performance, etc. there are different levels of play as well. I only worked there about 6 months, so was on the lowest. You get paid more for a key-holder position, which I think is about 15,000ish, maybe a bit less. I worked in the fulham and Herndon stores and the pay. Was the same in both as they’re both in london.

bloodyshins
    Free Member

You get barely above minimum wage working in any chain bike store.
    They seem to think that because it’s retail then it’s OK to pay you the same as a checkout girl in Tesco, totally ignoring the level of technical knowledge and sales skill required.
    If you want to be able to survive working in a bike shop you need to find a decent idependent… dunno where you are based but I know of one in the South Manchester / Cheshire area that is in need of staff. I worked there many moons ago and was the lowest paid member of staff on 16k. Most of the older lads were on 18-20k. Let me know if you want the name of the shop and who to contact…

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Sorry to the op for Hijacking your post but how much would a bike builder be on salary wise with the oppurtunity to progress to a cytech level 3 mechanic expect to get?

monksie
    Free Member

Edinburgh Bikes are advertising for a bike builder. Less than £7 per hour according to their website. I think they’re also advertising for a mechanic. I think 30 hours was advertised as being about £13.5k.
    Bloodyshins. Yes please and I’ll pass the info on. Thank you.
    No email in your profile but if you could send it to me at steve.monks@gmail.com I’d be very grateful.

highclimber
    Free Member

I’d highly doubt it will be anywhere near 16k. more like NMW + a few pence so they can state ‘exceeds NMW’. I worked as assistant manager for a chain outdoor retailers and was’nt paid more than 15k.

Pigface
    Free Member

Just above minimum, you do get the discount after 3 months I think.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Double post

trail_rat
    Free Member

At a.nother chain store as a skilled mech i was getting about a quid over min wage with double time for over time – not a lot going but it helped ease the pay up a bit.

Did work hard for the dosh as the workshop was constantly over booked – supposed to be 3 mechs and often only 1 or 2

Was a shock going from a workshop manager in a good independant but had to relocate for partners work !

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Evans Cycles Employment Enquiry’ is closed to new replies.