Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • European Road trip
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I have 2 weeks in September and looking to do a road trip with some friends, one of which is Canadian, the other is English but has been living in Canada for the last three years.

I have a need to see some mountains so looking for a trip that would take me to the mountainous regions.

I was thinking down the east side of France to Switzerland, Italy etc., and maybe the South of France.

Any recommendations? I such a trip do-able in two weeks?

mikey74
    Free Member

Bump!!!

dasnut
    Free Member

do you want to just see mountains or do other stuff whilst you are there too?

donsimon
    Free Member

Get across northern Spain for some rather splendid mountains.

jon1973
    Free Member

How about Chamonix. We went at that time of year and it was fantastic, so much to do. We were camping and stayed at a camp site in Praz. We stayed in a few places on our way down from Calais and went on to the Ardeche.

Spin
    Free Member

What do you want to do? Uplift or proper riding? 😉

mikey74
    Free Member

Unfortunately I doubt any riding will be involved

kayak23

I’m planning a 3-week one myself, but mine is mainly about biking. Current plan is Calais to Andorra, then north east Spain, up the south of France stopping in Monaco and that to pick up some saucy millionairesses, then into the southern Italian alps, then north up the alps criss-crossing to various bike parks, then home in time for tea and medals…

mikey74
    Free Member

The people I’ll be going with don’t ride so can’t really include it, unless the opportunity arises during.

That sounds like a great trip, particularly the bit about the millionairesses.

Spin
    Free Member

In that case it doesn’t really matter. Anywhere in the alps will be nice.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Depends what you want to do, I gather you’re not riding but by Sept a lot of the chair lifts will be shut so there may well be a lot of walking.

sparkerfix

Did this a couple of years back over 2 weeks, a lot of driving but great!

Tunnel over to France-Geneva-Chamonix-Lake Garda-Bled-Innsbruck-Baden Baden-Nurburgring-Rotterdam (Ferry back to Hull)

mikey74
    Free Member

I like the idea of heading down to Monaco via the Alps: It’s only 874 miles. We did that in a couple of days in Canada last year.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thought I’d bump this…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Are you wanting/prepared to do any walking?

Key Big Mountain areas are Chamonix (France), Ecrin Park (France), Aosta Valley (Italy), Rhone Valley (Switzerland), Interlaken (Switzerland).

I’d definitely recommend Chamonix, Grindelwald (north face of the Eiger etc), Zermatt (matterhorn and lots of other big peaks), Grand St Bernard Pass (opening credits of the Italian Job, significance might be lost on your Canadian friend, Matt Munro, “times like these” to be played on the way down), Aosta (fabulous valley), Cervinia (other side of the Matterhorn).
    Macugnaga if you want a big Himalayas looking face (remote tho).

grum
    Free Member

I did a two week bikey one last year to the Pyrenees and it was one of my best ever holidays. Stopped off and went out riding with stratobiker off here near Blond in France which was great as well.

Would second the Chamonix area, amazing scenery. If you can afford it the area around the Matterhorn is stunning too.

ianv
    Free Member

Verdon gorge is definitely worth a detour if you are heading south from the alps.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks folks; they all sound good suggestions. We’ll have to do some planning and see what is possible.

Hiking is definitely on the cards.

What about car hire? I only have a Ford Focus so I’m thinking of possibly hiring a mpv (or similar) and using that. Any recommendations for hire companies to look at? I live near Gatwick so pick-up/drop-off there isn’t a problem.

Prices I have seen so far range from £750-950 for the two weeks.

konabunny
    Free Member

If you were going to hire a car anyway, why not just fly to central europe and hire a car there? save yourself 2 days of driving and petrol.

mikey74
    Free Member

Convenience as much as anything. I quite like the idea of heading off from the front door. I need to speak to my friends really and see which way they want to do it.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Re chairlifts, most of the honeypot ones will remain open until mid sept, some a bit longer.
    I would probably advise flights to Geneva and hire a MPV from there (swiss or french sides), but that is entirely your call. There is a certain romantic notion about driving across France with friends, but the reality for most people is just a very long motorway slog.
    You have to pay to use Swiss motorways, but I never have, just don’t cross the border on a motorway and then hope you don’t get spotted on the motorway without one.
    I would also recommend staying in some high mountain huts for the experience. ie catch the mountain railway from Zermatt to the rottenboden station, walk across the dry glacier (safe) to the Monte Rosa Hut (allow 4-5hrs).
    Or, catch the mountain railway from Grindalwald, up thru the NF of the Eiger to the highest station (expensive). There’s a hut up there you could stay at called the Monchsjoch Hutte, it’s safe to walk there as long as you stay within the markers (about 1hr from the station). from there you have a view down the largest glacier in Europe and 6-7 of the big 4000ers.
    In Chamonix, something like a walk to Lac Blanc, from there you have fabulous views of the Mont Blanc Massif.

lunge

I recently did:

Train to Grenoble
    Frejus via Alpe d’Huez
    San Remo via monaco
    Florence via Pisa
    Venice
    Lake Garda
    Alpa, Sixr-Fer-a-Cheval near Samoans specifically
    Grenoble for the train.

Hell of a trip, lots of miles but well worth it.

Pigface
    Free Member

How about going off piste a bit, head east do slovakia, Hungary etc. Your cash will go further there than France and spain.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘European Road trip’ is closed to new replies.