Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • European elections
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

I don’t want to vote for any of the big three. I think we need a radical departure, almost a fresh start. However, there are 13 candidates for the east midlands. If you take out the big three, there’s ten to choose from. Even if you remove the silly and the extremists, there’s still 6 or 7. Do any of these really have a chance? I imagine lots of people will want to avoid the usual suspects but if you split them 7 wyas, no one will get enough votes to make a difference.

Is there light at the end of the tunnel or are we all doomed?

druidh
    Free Member

Onzadog – Member

I don’t want to vote for any of the big three. I think we need a radical departure, almost a fresh start. However, there are 13 candidates for the east midlands. If you take out the big three, there’s ten to choose from. Even if you remove the silly and the extremists, there’s still 6 or 7. Do any of these really have a chance?
    No

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As the european elections arwe proportional representation on regional lists (IIRC) then voting for minority parties is not a waste of time. The greens have the best chance of representation from the minor parties regularly polling 5-10% of the vote which is enough to get some MSPs

Vote green

Onzadog
    Free Member

Bugga, thought there might be a greater number of indepth comments on this one. Seems not. I guess everyone is as confused as me. Why can’t we just have the “none of the above” box to tick?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

thought there might be a greater number of indepth comments on this one

Well how about for a start, you explaining why you won’t be voting for Glenis Willmott ? What has she done ?

On the one hand, you seem to be suggesting that you wish to give some thought on how to use your vote in the European elections, and on the other, I get the impression that this thread is a knee-jerk reaction to media inspired mass-hysteria.

Glenis Willmott seems a perfectly acceptable candidate, and I would vote for her………. if I lived in the East Midlands.

And wasn’t anti-EU.

Onzadog
    Free Member

See, there’s the catch, I don’t think I’m overly in favour of the Eu either. Seems to be an opinion shared by pretty much all the alternatives as well.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Now this is the beauty of democracy you can vote for whoever you like even if some folk on this forum do not like certain parties

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I don’t think I’m overly in favour of the Eu

Ah right, I see the catch now …..

In that case …… I would suggest that you vote no2eu if you’re an incurable leftie, or UKIP if you’re a raving right-wing racist.

I’m an incurable leftie btw, in case you hadn’t noticed.

Onzadog
    Free Member

What if I just want something a bit more sensible. I know there’s no evidence to suggest that a whole set of new faces would be less corrupt, but they certainly would struggle to be more so.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Now “sensible” is an interesting word.

I guessing that you’re finding the 2 options a little ‘extreme’. Well leaving the EU I think it is fair to say, would be an ‘extreme position’ to take (although imo rather sensible)

So I’m assuming that you quite like the EU but are unhappy with the direction in which it’s going, right ?

Well that case I’m sorry to say that imo you’re buggered mate. Because the EU isn’t going to change direction, it’s going to carry on going in the same direction – further integration, more harmonisation. There is absolutely no chance whatsoever of the EU returning to what it was in the Common Market days.

I reckon your best bet is probably to vote for the Labour Party candidates. Although I’m sure that you could waste your vote on some neither here or there candidate who will do nothing, if you feel so inclined.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Green!

If you don’t want to vote for the major parties nor that racists then Green is the sensible choice. There is a good chance of getting green representation as UK MEPs, there is a sizeable bloc of greens in the Euro parliament and they do actually do positive stuff.

Vote green

druidh
    Free Member

You could vote for the only party whose candidates have decided NOT to take the forthcoming MEP pay increase (up to around £70k pa). But then you’d have to be living in Scotland…..

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Green!

Vote green

Listen Kermit, voting for a party on the basis that it’s not ‘a major’ party is a rubbish idea. You can’t sensibly say “vote for this lot – no other fcuker will”

I reckon that you need to come up with something a little more substantial.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ernie!

The OP did not want to vote for a major party nor the extremist fringe, therefore green is the best option!

Onzadog – Member

I don’t want to vote for any of the big three. …………If you take out the big three, ……….. the silly and the extremists, there’s still 6 or 7. Do any of these really have a chance? ………..

So the answer to the OP is that the greens will get some MSPs elected, they have some power in the EU as part of a bloc so its not a wasted vote.

Not what I would do but what I advise the OP to do.

Up here we have a wider range of parties to vote for with interesting politics and aims.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Bollox ! Just had a call from a mate asking if I wanted to go on a bike ride**, and he was unimpressed with my protestations “but I’m on the forum” So I’m going to have love you & leave you TJ.

** wouldn’t mind but we were on a ride yesterday which meant that I lost loads of ‘valuable forum time’

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘European elections’ is closed to new replies.