Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Europe – trouble for Cameron?
  • aracer
    Free Member

The issue is because of camerons weaknesshe would have to hold a referendum if the Lisbon treaty was amended to appease the Eurosceptics

I suspect you’ll find he’d have to hold a referendum to fulfil a manifesto pledge. Though I’m sure you’d not complain at all if he broke promises in his manifesto…

26 to one

Well that shows just how much attention you’ve actually been paying to what’s happening.

Is it better to be on the outside pissing in or the inside pissing out on yourself?

FTFY

5thElefant
    Free Member

I suspect you’ll find he’d have to hold a referendum to fulfil a manifesto pledge. Though I’m sure you’d not complain at all if he broke promises in his manifesto…

It’s actually written into law.

So he can’t sign a new treaty as that would cause our exit from europe.

5lab

as far as I can see, the new ‘eurozone pact’ (for want of a better term) will mean eurozone members (I doubt the other non-Euro EU countries will join) co-ordinate their finances (ie income tax, etc) centrally. Given we have no influence over, say, frances income tax today, I don’t see what the big deal is

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

5th – the way the law is written he easily could avoid the referendum as he is only obliged to if the re is a large transfer of UK soverinitity to teh EU which there would not be.- no obligation to hold one at all. However he would then face a rebellion from the eurosceptics which he would lose his position as PM

teh very fact there is a law is all about him appeasing the eurosceptics anyway

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The issue is what else is discussed and implemented, against the wishes of the UK, by the ‘fast track’ group. This issue was bound to arise at some point, now that it has the people of the UK should be given the opportunity we have so long been denied to have our say as to whether or not we wish to remain in the EU>

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    teamhurtmore – you are the one whos anti eu predjudices colour your views.

I am not anti-europe. I am anti fixed exchange rates – there is a reason why economic history is littered with their failure. I am particularly anti monetary union without fiscal union and generally opposed to centralised fiscal policy so hence do not support the current proposals. Other than that I love Europe!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Here we go. Pro-Scottish independence is supporting self-determination. Pro-British independence is xenophobia.

Except that TJ has always opposed Scottish independence.

Unless of course, he has very recently changed his mind. Has he ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Agnostic really Ernie. I have tried to explain some of the thinking behind the debate on a number of occasions.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Agnostic ? I never had you down as ever being an agnostic over any political issue.

Perhaps you should make your mind up 💡

Specially as it’s a fairly important subject which you get drawn into discussions over. And you really don’t like to be misrepresented :

TandemJeremy – Member

AT NO POINT ON THIS THREAD HAVE I ARGUED FOR SCOTTISH INDEPENDENCE OR IN SUPPORT OF THE SNP

In capitals no less – just to emphasis your anger.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Europe – trouble for Cameron?’ is closed to new replies.