Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Eurocamp budgie smuggler requirement
  • bubs

Are there any “legal” alternatives for an English gentlemen?

shifter
    Free Member

Yeah, swimming trunks. And don’t listen to people who call them budgy smugglers.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Sorry mate, it’s actually enforced at the campsites we’ve been to. You could try the Daniel Craig look with the slightly longer shorts, but nothing baggy I’m afraid….

shifter
    Free Member

They’re much better for swimming in. like Lycra’s better for cycling in.
    It’s a bit weird that Johnnie Frenchie insists but when in Rome etc.

zippykona

I got some cycling short style trunks and immediately went from the medium lane to mixing it in the fast lane.

Cougar

You could try the Daniel Craig look with the slightly longer shorts, but nothing baggy I’m afraid…

Pretty much what I did. I waited till I got there and picked up some cheapies from Carrfour or whatever convenient supermarket chain is over there. Far easier to buy something compliant than over here.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thongs are not wrong.

Embrace the fit, the grip, the slip.

Unless you have a beerbelly Obvz.

jekkyl

Don’t forget to model them for a pic in a nice hat back at the caravan before setting off to the pool. best pic eva daaadd.

mechanicaldope

What is the reason for mandatory obscene swimming trunks?

mikey74
    Free Member

Hygiene, apparently.

samcamsdad

What is the reason for mandatory obscene swimming trunks?

So the frenchies can laugh at the portly English ale loving gentlemen.

jekkyl

Dirt and contaninaments from the beach.

P-Jay
    Free Member

The rule is in place because Johnny Frenchie doesn’t want to pull pubes out of their pool filters.

Saying that I haven’t seen any signs to that effect in 10 years and even then they treat them with a glorious French shrug if you’re wearing long shorts as long as they’re swimming ones, they assume they’ve got a mesh liner.

Edukator
    Free Member

The mesh liner is the problem. It lets the e-coli through.

There’s another reason for the ban according to some, it dissuades some groups who tend to cause trouble in swimming pools and prevents them hiding weapons in their shorts. I live near the 50m open air pool (close enough to hear the Tannoy) and since the Bermuda ban the coach load of CRS hasn’t been called out.

It’s an on-going debate.

dragon
    Free Member

Just get some in a Decathlon when you get there, loads of choice, trunk ones are slightly less bad.

It’s funny all the non French Europeans including Brits just sit in shorts with budgie smugglers underneath then whip then off to jump in the pool. Where as the Frenchies just strut around in theirs no matter what their body shape. Must be their gallic confidence 🙂

singletrackmind

it lets E coli throuugh? through what exactly ? a .5micron membrane isnt used in budgie smuglers so thats a load of tosh, unless E coli bacteria have grown in size and are all now 100micron so woven poly / cotton can filter them out.

I was told its to discourage people from playing volleyball etc on the beach , then going swimming and transfering sand / mud into the pool and its filter systems ,

and I was also told that is to stop pervs being obvious pervs in public. this might be a load of tosh .

i personaly beleive a french woman brought in the law so that a) All the frechies could laugh at overweight pasty English and Germans or B) there would be no misrepresntation of the fact in the ‘man inches’dept.

Edukator
    Free Member

Don’t shoot me I’m the messenger.

bikebouy
    Free Member

These, these are the rulz. Embrace them, become them, stand tall in them..

It’s all in the swagger.. 😉

convert

Google jammers

garage-dweller

Decathlon

Nabaija b-ready long shorts black / blue

Sorry won’t link.

I use these if I’m going for lengths swimming. I am not a honed athlete!

A lot better than speedos and I expect would be France/Holland friendly. They are snug but the length smooths the dangle bulges if you follow me.

Cougar

Far as I knew it was to prevent baggies from catching on features like slides.

bubs

Far as I knew it was to prevent baggies from catching on features like slides.

A common problem as you get older and gravity takes hold I hear.

PePPeR

It’s also about water conservation, Baggies drag loads of water out of the pool, so it’s more economical to use tight fitting trunks.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

When in Rome and all that just get them on and MTFU

back in the 70s-80s they were all there was and TBH if I was swimming especially in surf I wouldn’t want to be wearing a very draggy pair of baggy shorts

DezB
    Free Member

I got some of those Decathlon Nabaija B-fit ones.
    Can do pics if needed 🙂
    Similar to this
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/b-fit-shorts-black-grey-id_8360322.html

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A mate was told No! To his shorts, the old lady St the campsite wasnt quite ready for his alternative…
    Apparently that’s not allowed either

Tiger6791

It’s also about water conservation, Baggies drag loads of water out of the pool, so it’s more economical to use tight fitting trunks.

This is the reason, dull but true.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

As someone said earlier, get some Jammers. I’ve used these in French pools with no problems, and given the borderline malnourishment that us regular night shift workers enjoy, ‘muffin top’ isn’t too much of an issue.

canny1
    Free Member

I’ve always been told it was on health & safety grounds as the French had some drownings, where baggies got trapped/caught in filters/ steps etc

cb

I’m having to endure this nightmare at the moment! We were told it was to do with grubby bastids wearing board shorts all day then just jumping in the pool without changing out of dirty stuff. They suggest people less likely to do this in lycra trunks!!

Just one of many stupid rules here that the French seem to love lording over tourists, like closing the water slides at 5.30 when the pool opens until 7!

Mister-P
    Free Member

[Img]http://buzz-tendance.fr/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/pub-southern-comfort-beach-600×328.jpg[/img]

I’m more than happy to abide by the rules.

jamj1974

We’ve only been to one (Out of many) where it had been enforced. I was a bit narked TBH. The lifeguard said it was because looser shorts could be born elsewhere and bring dirt into the pool. I told him he should be worrying more about the dirt inside people’s trunks – the fromage aux nob. I think it says a lot about me, that I am still proud of having the presence of mind that I uttered that line.

elliott-20
    Free Member

On the many occasions we’ve been to France I have never witnessed this enforced.

There was one trip where Mrs E was insistent I had to wear some ‘Daniel Craig’ type shorts at the pool. When we got there all the french lads where in baggies. Cue a large sigh of relief from me.

I guess I may have been lucky.

olddog

Until the late eighties everyone from uk wore trunks, I had some proper Tom Daly’s when I was 17/18 in early eighties.

Baggy shorts are an American import!

olddog

… I have some French supermarket Daniel Craig’s for France, but may start wearing them to local pool now.

A few years ago I was swimming in the pool at an upmarket gym and overtook a bloke in a gold thong trunk. I think that is probably taking it too far

gwaelod
    Free Member

Just get one of those half-thongs

Job done

BillMC

‘Board’ shorts get heavy, clingy and are an unwelcome distraction when popping up. Smugglers are much more practical either with or without wetsuit. It seems that the shorts proliferated from conservative/religious communities in the US where people are taught to be embarrassed by their bodies and therefore require such ‘modest’ dress, a bit like a boy-burka.

ransos
    Free Member

Ah, les slips de bains. I can’t see what’s wrong with some decent swimming shorts, and neither do at least half the pools I’ve been to in France.

Stoner
    Free Member

very much enforced in pools I’ve been to in France.

Fortunately nearly all the ones Ive been to nowadays have a vending machine in the foyer to buy approved jockeys. They tend to be Daniel Craig style half way between bollock pouches and mid-thigh jammers.

They do at least dry out quickly unlike bermudas.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Are you lot worried that you will look silly in a pair of tight trunks? Or are you concerned that the ladies will be unable to control themselves at the sight?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Eurocamp budgie smuggler requirement’ is closed to new replies.