Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Euro road trip ideas please
  • SludgeJudge

In less than 2 weeks I’m off on a ten day road trip with my eldest son – channel tunnel booked but no other definite plans. Rough itinerary is Belgium (Ghent) then heading to Germany (Cologne) onto Switzerland (Basel) to Lake Como for a couple of nights. We’ll then thinking of heading along the coast to Monaco/Monte Carlo and up to Turin before making our way home via Geneva and up through France. Total distance around 2,500 miles.

We can share the driving but it seems like a lot and starting to think about cutting it back a bit.
    Any suggestions/advice on alternative routes, places to visit, good driving roads etc, etc

oldnpastit

The chocolate museum in Cologne is well worth a visit if you’re there, and the cathedral is cool, but I’m not sure there’s much else to see there?

Some people in airplanes flattened most of it about 70 years ago for some reason.

alexpalacefan

The beer in Cologne is piss.

APF

hora
    Free Member

Why not base it on WWII sites as an anchor/basis?

Visit ‘Ring (not far from Cologne I think).

Mackem

Amsterdam

hora
    Free Member

We did that on the way back from Germany to the ferry to Hull one year. I like Amsterdam but I don’t love it. Take away hookers, schmoke and its left with just another Netherlands etc city. (IMO). The OP’s driving through lots like that- OP’s planning on mountains etc in his itinerary. That I’ve never done- would love the Swiss/Italy bit! 😀

lank45
    Free Member

I’d agree to shorten the route unless you are going for the driving. We did 7 weeks in Europe and managed 7,500 miles and 17 countries.

The struggle we had was not rebooking campsites and even knowing where they were, you can spend a lot of wasted time trying to find them and book in, so my advice would be to plan your accommodation in advance (not necessarily book but have an idea of where).

Cities are great but bear in mind you have a car, many cities you will end up parking on the outskirts as getting close to the centre and finding parking is difficult and expensive.

Avoid the toll roads, you see so much more of the countries you are visiting and the smaller towns.

As a suggestion for your time how about the west coast of France, into Andorra (hire bikes and ride the bike park) and into northern Spain? Great views, weather and food.

Most of all enjoy the leisurely pace and time with your son, we enjoyed it so much we did it twice!

lank45
    Free Member

Ps if you want any more info on routes/roads/camping etc… Drop me an email… Ben.helliwellATuk.nestle.com

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d try to do it in the spirit of a TdF route or Classics, so take the routes previous TdF/Classics courses have been..

For instance, from Como head to Verese and follow the Tour of Lombardia course, you’ll see all over that small region and visit some spectacular places.. and up the Monte Ghisella etc.. The once done with Como head to Milan and follow the Milan – San Remo course then drive along to Monte Carlo and do your thing..

You get the idea, also from Ghent head south to Eperney and follow that to Nancy, or if coming home do the Gardemer to Mullhouse or Mullhouse to LA Planche Belle Filles…

All these courses either take you through some spectacular areas but also keep you off the main auto routes and if chosen correctly will take you too/from one of your suggested locations ^^^ you mentioned.

SludgeJudge

Cheers for all of your advice & suggestions. Ben – thanks for the offer of routes etc – we’re going to Brittany later in the year so will leave the west coast of France/northern Spain for a second road trip with my other son in a couple of years!

Like the idea of going south from Belgium to Nancy rather than east to Germany and keeping off some of the autoroutes – will dig out the map and do some more planning!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Euro road trip ideas please’ is closed to new replies.