Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 2,247 total)
  • Euro 2016 begins!
  • bongohoohaa
    Free Member

What are they going to ask him?

I’d start with ‘What the….?’.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Yellow Belly – Member

Roy is the only person who had prepared for a European exit

Hah, that made my day.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

martinhutch

I just don’t understand it – after all the top-notch training ideas in the camp too.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

As a Scotland fan I’m feeling quite optimistic.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Oh god not Southgate

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

When it’s all said and done, it’s good we had an event that brought left and right together in unity to mock England FC. They are the hilarious glue we needed to bond our country back together.

Coyote
    Free Member

😆

scotroutes
    senorj

I can’t remember a worse England performance since the last worst England performance. Pah.
    What was going on with those substitutions?

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Capt Flash – genius

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Belgian commentator is on fire tonight.

‘Roy Hodgson is watching this game like a cow watching a train pass by. He has no idea what is happening.’

‘Roy learned 40 years ago in a course that you do your first substitution during halftime, and then your second one after 60 minutes.’

– Reddit

Haze

Almost had my football mojo back, 90 minutes with England has pretty much killed it off.

Hilarious performance!

RicB

England were never going to win the tournament and Hodgson wasn’t going to stay for the WC qualifiers so I’m not surprised he had a prepared statement to use at some point. Agree with the above comments that he should’ve acknowledged the Iceland players

In some ways it’s a blessing- can you imagine the mauling this England team would’ve had from France?! 4 or 5-0 easy. Pogba vs Rooney in midfield ffs?!

Can’t see anything changing for 10 years or more because there’s only Rashford and Alli that seem any good out of the younger players

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Alli has been absolutely shocking! Feted as the next big thing but what’s he good at? Getting on the end of things? Doesn’t cut it at international level. Rashford does have something though, you can see he’s got half a football brain at least.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I enjoyed the match, we weren’t going to get to the semis and Iceland where far better than us. Might as well go out in some style

mickmcd
    Free Member

its ok we cant afford to go to the next one

martinhutch

Might as well go out in some style

Which match was that?

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

The 3 full backs used looked OK. Would class them in Rushford and Alli group. But no-one played well tonight!

DezB
    Free Member

lol….that Icelandic commentator (for those listening to 5Live).

What was it?
    “DavidCameron! PrincessKate! EU referendums! OneDirection! Your boys took a hell of a beating!!”

RicB

Anyone else think Rooney is the biggest disappointment of the modern England football era? Hard to think of another player who, except through injury, completely failed to live up to expectations and promise? At least Gascoine lit up a tournament before succumbing to his demons

corroded
    Free Member

Nicked from the Guardian:

Knocked out of the Euros by Iceland, knocked out of Europe by people who shop at Iceland.

cloudnine
    Free Member

lucky7500

Anyone else think Rooney is the biggest disappointment of the modern England football era?

+1
    Surely it’s time for him to retire from international football now. I personally can’t see him still being at the top level in two years time.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Knocked out of the Euros by Iceland, knocked out of Europe by people who shop at Iceland.

Brilliant. The headline of the day.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I thought Rooney did ok, one of our better players

As a Spurs fan it’s not a pleasure to say Kane gave Sterling a run for his money as our most hopeless player tonight

xcwomble
    Free Member

I live in the Faroe Islands and eveyone here was supporting Iceland (the Faroes and Iceland are very close) The Faroese were shocked how England played and as the lone England supporter it was embarrassing……. 😯
    Everyone was screaming at the tv towards the end, I just had my head in my hands………….

dragon
    Free Member

Rooney was the problem, to play him everyone was out of position and then he was so slow. He also offered no leadership.

What the hell had England actually planned to do before the match? Seriously a striker taking set pieces, no wingers taken to the tournament, no defensive set up for obvious set plays. My gut is Hodgson lost the players a long time ago.

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

Hodgson for PM!!

Caher

Far more fundermental than that: not enough young English kids kick footballs around anymore. I am sometimes quite surprised by the low level of fitness of the 16-24 range.

alpin
    Free Member

^^ He’s got a point… Here in Germany I know of quite a few guys that play on weekends. Lots of sports grounds (proper ones with lights and stuff) around town and they are usually being used most evenings. The same in Austria and in Italy.

wrightyson
    Free Member

We have an excellent new 3g pitch in town which if you’re not part of the club is incredibly hard to get a slot on. A lot of the lads in the 16/24 year bracket seem very into being gym bunnies these days however the interest in football is still huge. I’ve started assisting the coaching of my sons team and what I’ve noticed is that some of the kids (mostly 11) have a right **** attitude as if the game owes them something already. Doing my best to stamp that shit out and just getting them to work hard…

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

My son is almost 13. He has been diving for about 5 or 6 years and currently trains around 14 hours a week. When I watch him and his friends train it’s obvious that they enjoy it and are having a good time but they are also very focussed. He knows that if he wants to get anywhere he has to work really hard. He also plays football every day at school as part of an SFA programme. From what he tells me a good few of the other kids on the programme are lazy, classic stand near the goals and demand everybody gives them ball. My son gets really frustrated by this and the coaches don’t seem to do anything about it. The team he used to play for had the same issues, most of the kids just wanted to mess about and seemed unable to concentrate on the task in hand. A lot of the kids just weren’t very fit, they don’t seem very active in general. Two years after Angus left the boys don’t seem to have developed much and the coaches still have the same issues. I wonder if the general standard of coaching isn’t very high, what are they being taught when they get their coaching badges? There are plenty of teams to choose from where we live and reasonable facilities.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have tried to be very mature about this but I still woke up and thought Iceland and then sniggered

martinhutch

That IS the mature approach.

burko73

Footballs just all wrong in the UKEngland. No decent role models. Rooney bitching in the media last week as Hodgson didnt start him. There’s no “I” in team… someone needs to tell them that. They’re just overpaid eeejuts with massively inflated egos. They’re living in the same world supermodels and film starts were/ are. How does that make sense? Someone said it before ref getting out of beds harder in silk pyjamas.

I am Welsh (genuinely) by the way.

The Welsh team on the other hand seem genuinely pleased to be at the Euros, they don’t give me the impression that they think they’re owed a passage to the semi finals, they seem to be just enjoying themselves getting there.

They seem like the team is more important than any one player which is quite a thing given Gareth Bale’s in the team. He just seems like a genuinely grounded all round nice lad though and he’s enjoying it. The whole of Wales are behind them, there’s no thuggery and it’s all good fun. Whats not to like.

yamyamblade
    Free Member

Coaching is a real issue in UK and Wrightyson is the classic grassroots way, a good willed parent offers to help to ensure his son can play football, get out on a 16 hour coaching course and that’s it you’re a FA level 1 coach..

My son is lucky enough to have played academy football for last 4 years and the one big difference is not only the coaching and facilities but also parents. We are told not to coach from the side-lines and only to encourage the teams during a match, this is a major difference from Grassroots where you have both the coaches and parents shouting instructions to the boys whilst they play their game, if I go and watch my son’s classmates in the team he used to play for I ask parents would you like to be shouted at work or whilst playing ?? they all answer no so why do they do it to their son, it’s what we’ve always done is normally the reply..

My son loves the games and luckily is a hard working player and has been from the moment he first played aged 6, I firmly believe this cannot be coached into a player but like anything coaching can improve what nature gives you. I see all kinds of parents from the one’s whose pension is out on the pitch to folk like me who tell their son the odds are stacked against you but having played and scored at clubs like Man Utd, Liverpool and Man City just enjoy the experience.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Footballs just all wrong in the UKEngland. No decent role models. Rooney bitching in the media last week as Hodgson didnt start him. There’s no “I” in team… someone needs to tell them that. They’re just overpaid eeejuts with massively inflated egos. They’re living in the same world supermodels and film starts were/ are. How does that make sense? Someone said it before ref getting out of beds harder in silk pyjamas.

Aye, that’s right, cos the French and the Italians are absolutely full of fine, stand up, bona fide role models…..

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

12hrs later and it’s still hilarious.

Not sure what’s going to be worse*, the fallout from last night or Brexit vote.

Still, at least Missus Binners is going to treat us all to Greggs pasty today with her winnings.

*I know it’s the Brexit vote.

MSP

Coaching is a real issue in UK and Wrightyson is the classic grassroots way, a good willed parent offers to help to ensure his son can play football, get out on a 16 hour coaching course and that’s it you’re a FA level 1 coach..

Also most of the other European top league teams, have feeder teams in the lower divisions to develop their youth set-up.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 2,247 total)

The topic ‘Euro 2016 begins!’ is closed to new replies.