Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • EUR back to GBP, where to get best rate over counter?
  • Pukeko
    Free Member

I want to change some euros back to pounds but you seem to loose a bit on the main rate at most exchange counters. Any suggestions on where to get best rate would be appreciated.

It all goes back into MTB piggy bank so every bit helps 🙂

br
    Free Member

wherever is the cheapest place to get to?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Bureaus are very keen on saying ‘no commission’ but what they don’t add is ‘but our spread either side of the FX rate is actually 10%’, i.e. they will sell a currency to you at 10% more than the actual rate and buy at 10% less. So effectively their commission is 10%.

Sorry I can’t help you with which place has the least spread. They’re probably all about the same. Unless you’re changing a very large amount the time you’ll invest making comparisons is likely to cost more than you’d end up saving.

iolo
    Free Member

Just keep them until you go back to Europe. You probably had a good rate when you got them which you won’t get the next time you need cash for Europe.

tthew

Or find someone who’s going to Europe on holiday shortly and do a deal.

I looked at this recently, and the Cheque Centre seemed to be offering the best over the counter rate. There were some on-line options a bit better, but unless you had shed loads to change you had to pay the postal insurance.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Depends on how much but the mate option is normally best.

dimitriscsd
    Free Member

Google TransferWise. That would be your best service option, however the euro is really weak right now.

Pukeko
    Free Member

Cheers for the info.

It’s a few hundred, not a few thousand (unfortunately!), so the difference is not that much between different exchange centres.

I always seem to have a knack of getting worst deal and then walking around the corner and finding I could have had an extra £20 quid in my pocket. Not exactly a lotto win, but new gloves, chain, or brake pads…

jsync
    trail_rat
    Free Member

well according to that i get the best rate locally at the travelex counter at the airport.

thats an hour from my house….

so the rates better but i spend more in time/fuel/wear and tear on the car….

or i could accept 1.8 cents less per unit and get it at my post office which is a 10 minute cycle away.

(based on 500 euros that 9 quid – and if youll drive an hour on your own fuel and time for 9 quid you can work for me as your times clearly not worth much. 😉

so as above – where evers closest to you….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘EUR back to GBP, where to get best rate over counter?’ is closed to new replies.