Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • perchypanther
    Free Member

wait till you have to deal with a machine. You can scream and cry but the machine will not be deterred and you will just be another resources to be consumed.

You are Kyle Reese and I claim my five pounds.

Junkyard
    Free Member

from a monetary, fiscal and political union (and possibly share a common currency?

Well they have the later and the former three without the later would be impossible –

chewkw
    Free Member

perchypanther – Member

wait till you have to deal with a machine. You can scream and cry but the machine will not be deterred and you will just be another resources to be consumed.

You are Kyle Reese and I claim my five pounds. [/quote]

Nope.

I am … Karl Emil Maximilian “Max” Weber … The god of bureaucracy. 😆

Give me me fiver!
    I say … Give me! 😛

Edit: You lot are hallucinating about the utopia of becoming full member of a larger entity, economy prosperity, advancement, scientific mind, rationality, etc … you CANNOT escape Weber.

Try as you will there is no escaping and your lack of understanding the very basic means you are heading for full hallucinating utopia. Just don’t cry when you reach there … 😯

I challenge anyone and everyone, the brighter you are the better, in this world to dispute Max Weber.

Northwind

molgrips – Member

Hmm – but what’s the alternative?

Well, I’m going to invade Poland.

Klunk
    Free Member

looks like we’ll be paying 20% more for our groupsets in the event of a brexit though the rate of decline vs the euro in the last 3 months you’d thought the markets think it’s a forgone conclusion. Though the Banks record on defending the pound is not the greatest just ask ol’ Norm.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Unintentionally, Norm played a blinder. Great boost to UK economy not having an uncompetitive exchange rate to defend. Not that it felt like that at the time!!

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I’m as yet undecided as I can see a valid argument for both staying and leaving.

However, I honestly don’t thing the UK will ever leave the EU whatever the result. I cant help but think that a “Leave” vote will simply result in being offered a few more “concessions”, followed by another vote until we vote to stay in. Basically the same as with the Lisbon Treaty if I remember correctly.

molgrips
    Free Member

Are there actual instances where EU decision making has been different to what the UK could or should have done on its own?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I honestly don’t thing the UK will ever leave the EU whatever the result

I honestly dont see why anyone thinks this will happen.

I will probably vote to stay but I will be campaigning to make sure we leave if that is what the people will – you cannot ignore democracy because you dislike a legitimate outcome.

DO you really think the tories will be elected back in if they ignore this?Not a chance so it will not happen. TBH the PM would stand no chance in parliament if he tried this never mind an election.

outofbreath
    Free Member

However, I honestly don’t thing the UK will ever leave the EU whatever the result.

This.

I heard this view on This Week a while back and the more I think about it the more obvious it seems.

Leaving requires agreement between us and Europe on a myriad of topics to enable us to function normally on day 1 after we leave – its not going to happen overnight.

I see no reason why we’d not go into a perpetual state of arranging the ‘leaving’ and then at some point another referendum gets a different result.

What possible reason would either side to offer compromises to help the UK leave speedily?

wicki
    Free Member

I honestly don’t thing the UK will ever leave the EU whatever the result

Scenario. Paris type of attack one week before the election (destabilizing Europe is high on IS wish list) UK voters vote out this presages the break up of the EU with Greece also forced out this year over the Immigration issue .

hmm sounds possible.

Klunk
    Free Member

Norm played a blinder

george played the blinder, norm was a gormless bystander.

Andy-R

I don’t bother wasting time thinking about it – I can’t influence the outcome anyway, I’ll just have to suffer the consequences.

nickc

Interesting that the “debate” in the media is pretty much glossing over the effect a brexit will have on our Agricultural Industry, (and given how much time most of us spend in the countryside, on here as well) Farm subsidies from the EU was £3.7 billion last year that we’d have to find ourselves, and I can’t think for a minute that a country like France (for instance) wouldn’t leap at the chance to secure less favourable terms of trade for our farmed goods. Tiny part of our GDP for sure, but would be an enormous change to thousands of families, and the country side we all enjoy.

I don’t think for a minute that it will change the argument much, but I could certainly see a future of more expensive food prices if we leave.

Junkyard
    Free Member

What possible reason would either side to offer compromises to help the UK leave speedily?

Well I assume one side wants to won the next UL election and they have just ruled over a vote to leave and yet they have failed to deliver on this and now look like they are wriggling and avoiding the issue to ignore the democratic

**** this i am not going to debate the point that vote leave means we wont leave. I shall simply use the point as a “unhinged” detector.

ninfan
    Free Member

Farm subsidies from the EU was £3.7 billion last year that we’d have to find ourselves,

you understand the concept of being a net contributor?

we pay about £18 billion in, and get about £8-9 billion back (including the £3.7 billion we would have to ‘find’)

Oh. And ps. If it wasn’t for Thatcher securing the UK rebate, we would only be getting about half that sum back….

molgrips
    Free Member

Can anyone answer this?

Are there actual instances where EU decision making has been different to what the UK could or should have done on its own?

Or is it just about the money?

br
    Free Member

Farm subsidies from the EU was £3.7 billion last year that we’d have to find ourselves,

Or not.

http://farmsubsidy.openspending.org/GB/2013/

Top earner in 2013, National Trust…

While I’m an ‘In’, farm subsidies are a whole (global) farce that need sorting out and worthy of their own post – and nothing to do with Europe really.

Mugboo

Thank you one and all, I’m on the fence and appreciate ALL of your input.

As usual Northwind has managed to cut to the chase, I think.

Junkyard
    Free Member

TBH this was such a daft question but if you insist

If the EU is doing exactly what the UK would do without them then there would be no clamour to leave as it would be just like what we would di
    I dont even understand why you would make it or what you are fishing for

Yes the EU does things we would not – do you think we would have the open immigration policy we do now without the EU would we have the “generous benefits” to foreigners were we not in the EU?this is what our govt wants to do and they wont change anything when we leave?
    It got ignored because the answer is blindingly obvious.

molgrips
    Free Member

TBH this was such a daft question

Why was it daft?

I’m trying to establish how much of the ‘leave’ is simply scaremongering or jingoism about sovereignty.

It got ignored because the answer is blindingly obvious.

No need to be so offensive about it – it was a genuine question and relevant. Immigration is a good one – any more?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Anyone change their mind after watching Simon Reeves Greece programme the other day?
    Me?
    Not really.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Perfectly sensible question mol. There is a heavy dose of nonsense on sovereignty as there is on subjugation. Best to ignore either extreme.

It is amusing though when the founding fathers abuse/adopt EU policies as they see fit – see deficit spending and immigration.

“We support the free movement of people until its inconvenient to do so…” 😉

DaRC_L

Some of you do have a very low opinion of British peoplemanagement to take charge of their own destiny don’t you?

Chewkw did you live in Britain in the 70’s… If not then it’s time to get back under the rock.
    BTW did anybody see the latest trade deficit and the Brexit view that we could start trading with the old Commonwealth (who may remember that they were shafted when we voted ‘In’ to the EU) is over-optimistic.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Perfectly sensible question mol

I do so like the way you engage with me and then think I am the trolly one. 😀

Its reasonable to ask what the differences are its not reasonable to ask if there are any differences.

I will be amazed if you can find anyone [ credible[ who wishes to argue membership means we got exactly what the UK wanted in all areas from the EU.

Its not a good question

MrSalmon
    Free Member

In, with some reservations.

I don’t have the information or the nous in economics etc. to really make an informed decision – like most people I suspect. But intuitively I reckon the UK is pretty closely coupled with Europe anyway and in that case it’s better to be on the inside, than on the outside looking in.
    On the other hand, I’ve got doubts about how sustainable the whole thing if some of the members (e.g. Greece) are much weaker than the rest.

molgrips
    Free Member

Its reasonable to ask what the differences are its not reasonable to ask if there are any differences.

Ok well I considered the two things to be the same, apologies if it was not clear.

I meant – what are the differences?

who wishes to argue membership means we got exactly what the UK wanted in all areas from the EU

That’s not quite the same thing.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Be interested to hear from anyone over in Europe what the general feeling towards the whole in/out thing is over there? Is it even getting much coverage on the news outside of the UK?

Northwind

My Spanish family are basically “WTF is your man blathering about? There’s serious work to be done, let the grownups get on with it”. Though apparently all the english ex-pats are dead patriotic and want to leave the EU, which I love.

dazh

I don’t have the information or the nous in economics etc. to really make an informed decision

You’re barking up the wrong tree, all you need is a suspicion/dislike of foreigners and believe that we’re better than everyone else and should go back to the days of the empire, Churchill, stiffer upper lip etc…

jambalaya
    Free Member

So figures released today show in 2015 the UK bought £89 billion (not tje 60 I’d seen quoted before) more in goods and services from the jEU than they did from us. How people can even remotely believe the EU would impose trade tariffs and barriers on an independent UK I will never understand.

The EU has numerous boiler-plate free trade agreements it can call on, such agreements already exist with numerous other countries and trading blocks.

@binners Vote Leave is not UKIP

Scotland cannot unilaterally leave the UK, if Alex and thr SNP thoight that was viable they would have gone down tjat route already. With oil at below $30 independence is clear financial suicide. The Scots understand that.

Junky I really thought this EU refernedum would be a chance for you to be on tje winning side in a debate with me but now I am not so sure, a Leave win looks increasingly on the cards. You’re going to have to wait a bit longer it seems

molgrips
    Free Member

How people can even remotely believe the EU would impose trade tariffs and barriers on an independent UK I will never understand.

At the moment, that is the case. But take the long view. Let’s assume that in ten or twenty years time political and economic conditions have changed and that trade flow reverses? They could easily start imposing barriers.

Long view, Jam.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Significant trade barriers remain inside the EU, so easy to imagine anything

Plus what is TTIP all about if not the requirement to negotiate (in secret!) terms of trade between major trading partners?

Do tariffs exist between US and EU? If so, why, based on logic above?

ninfan
    Free Member

Jambalaya – one word of caution there is that, frankly, all trade figures (bandied around by either side) are utter b***ocks because of the Rotterdam effect.

Junkyard
    Free Member

How people can even remotely believe the EU would impose trade tariffs and barriers on an independent UK I will never understand.

The claim is actually trade will be more restricted than when we are in the free market- crumbs you cannot even get the argument correct but i am sure that means you are still correct 😆

How people believe we can leave a free trade area that we positively contribute , after they just changed the rules to get us to stay, and think nothing at all will change is the bit I dont understand. Why will we be able to negotiate what no other european country has managed?FFS we cannot even get what we want when we sit at the table with them.

You’re going to have to wait a bit longer it seems

I await that day when your arguments are swayed by facts and i can “win” I hold little hope of you reaching this sort of enlightenment and feel certain you can have another error free year.
    Not your best goad/troll so 4/10.

I am about to quote the CBI YIKES 😯

Imagine me agreeing with the CBO and you disagreeing with them

FWIW i dont think its the critical argument as many will make emotive issue re sovereignty – that is there choice and right- but its pretty obvious business and trade will be negatively affected and no change/impact is up there with shared currency in likelihood of happening. You are AS and THM will be giving you hell 😉

Full details here

Being like Switzerland means limited access to the EU single market only and where we comply with EU rules
    Being like Norway means following European Union rules but having no say
    Being like Turkey would leave us with no influence in the EU or in global trade deals
    Working through the World Trade Organization would mean the return of tariffs and taxes on trade
    Even a special UK-EU Free Trade Agreement would put trade at risk and reduce our influence over the rules

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Martin Wolf has its pretty much nailed in the FT today on why its in all sides interests for UK to remain in the UK, on why CMD recent adventure is largely irrelevant and why arguments on EU bureaucracy are largely flawed.

EU membership is not at the root of our economic challenges however much various leave, out, Xenokip players will try to pretend that it is.

The odd thing though is the recognition – coming from Tusk no less – that the UK (yes the UK) is not committed to further integration (no shit Sherlock), while ignoring that is exactly that is/needs to happen for the grander EU project to succeed.

Give that can a big kick Donald!!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

its in all sides interests for UK to remain in the UK

AGreed

I think, prepare yourself, you are right

The real issue now and if we vote to stay in is that our current position of “reluctant on the sidelines” is unworkable in the long run as closer integration is inevitable especially for the Euro zone.

I suspect most YEs voters will argue its this far and no further but that seems as unlikely to happen as leaving wont affect trade arguiment,

dazh

The real issue now and if we vote to stay in is that our current position of “reluctant on the sidelines” is unworkable in the long run as closer integration is inevitable especially for the Euro zone.

Of course it is. Anyone who resists closer integration are at best analagous to people in the 19th century smashing up spinning machines, and at worst are bitter and paranoid isolationists who would rather return to a world where divisions between class, nations, and culture define our existence and where we settle our differences by killing large numbers of people in stupid wars.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Anyone who resists closer integration are at best analagous to people in the 19th century smashing up spinning machines, and at worst are bitter and paranoid isolationists

Not at all. The €-area does not fulfil the necessary criteria to be a common currency area. So there is a basic lie at the hearts of the € project. But that doesn’t mean that it will be abandoned, at least not in its entirety. However, to have any chance of survival closer political and fiscal integration is required. Quite sensibly we have/are/will resist that trend. That is a perfectly rational position.

That does not preclude a pro-European position in terms of its original intentions eg, the basic freedoms. They are also perfectly rationale.

But we have a bloody mess at the moment, with the € project flawed and the basic premises that support the original concept ignored when appropriate. All very odd.

Still better than the position a century ago!

mefty
    Free Member

Janan Ganash wrote a good article in the FT earlier in the week. He made the point that our pragmatic, rather than the emotional, approach has meant we had adopted a lot of the good stuff but avoided the pitfalls. He also made the point, which TMH has been making, that it is too early for a referendum, as we will only know what we are really signed up to when they resolve the Euro’s structural issues.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.