Viewing 40 posts - 11,961 through 12,000 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • rosscore
    Free Member

binners – Member
    I’m disappointed that May, Fox, Davies, Johnson et al. are so bad at talking sterling up.
    Just reading the Guardian financial pages, and they summed up the problem facing the pound and the UK economy generally.

Its in so much trouble because as triggering article 50 looms large, the word from everyone dealing with them seems to be that May, Fox, Davies, Johnson et al haven’t got a bloody clue what they’re doing

And tell me, who has got a clue how to handle this? Osbourne? John McDonnell? Quite honestly other than the dilly dallying, this lot are as good as the next, but they should have just triggered it, they’re only going to get what 27 bickering states think they want out of the deal, sooner or later, having another 9 months of needless discussion isn’t going to help.
    Nobody thought we were going to leave, not UKIP, not Labour, not Tory, not the EU, it is an earth shattering decision that quite literally rocked their world so it’s understandable they haven’t got a clue what to do, but life moves on and someone has to deal with it, personally I’d sooner see Teresa May running the show than anyone else I could think of, unless you have a better idea.

ulysse
    Free Member

I’m not xenophobic, i hate everyone…

kimbers

personally I’d sooner see Teresa May running the show than anyone else I could think of, unless you have a better idea.

lots and lots but heres any easy one

May oversaw a succession of disastrous policies in the home office,
    abu qatada deportation, when she got the deadline wrong
    making the police hate her
    racism vvans to scasre off immigrants
    passport check border control meltdown
    repeated missed immigration targets
    so far brexishambles hads been tragic, appointing the 3 stooges as the brexit ministers being the pinnacle of stupidity, unless she wants brexit to fail….. 😀

rosscore
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    You forget, the financial establishment are remainers and are doing everything they can to fulfil the prophesies of project fear.

Where did you get that picture kimbers? Are you stalking me?
    I know I’m being watched. 😕

km79
    Free Member

Ruth Davidson? I’ll need to dust off an old roflcopter for this.

kimbers

are you farage?

rosscore
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    personally I’d sooner see Teresa May running the show than anyone else I could think of, unless you have a better idea.
    lots and lots but heres any easy one

Is that a tank gun barrel between her legs or is she pleased to see me?

Junkyard
    Free Member

personally I’d sooner see Teresa May running the show than anyone else I could think of, unless you have a better idea

a pro european respected in the EU who is able to negotiate in mutual respect and get a better deal
    The EU is already, and I dont blame them, openly mocking the three brexiters

If we are saying ruth davies how about

binners

May isn’t the main problem. This lot are. Actually… seeing as she appointed the idiots, maybe she is the main problem. I wouldn’t trust this lot to organise the raffle at a church jumble sale….

be honest… when those appointments were announced, did you initially think it was some kind of joke?

I did. But its getting less funny by the day. Because everything they utter betrays the fact that they’re a bunch of delusional imbeciles

dazh

I don’t think it matters who is in charge as it’s a fundamentally unsolvable problem. It’s just not possible to leave the EU and maintain the standard of living that everyone is used to. They either take the hit and become the government/party who wrecked the economy to appease ignorant xenophobia and racism, or they find some way of backing out of it. Like I said, this is the only solace I can find, one way or the other, the tory party is now f**** and I think they know it.

binners

Don’t be so pessimistic, traitor! You should be clapped in the Tower for doing down this great nation with such talk

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The Tories are spilt in this. You cant make it a party issue.

They happen to be the party that has to execute the mandate delivered (?) by the “advisory” referendum. Of course its a mess – no one has done this before and its a lose:lose.

Barring a miraculous compromise agreement ie, a fudged non-Brexit, the government has to deliver the least self-harm result.

Labour are v lucky because despite their own disarray on the issue, the Tories will inevitably take the responsibility for the forthcoming bit of a mess. But then again life and politics aren’t fair are they?

kimbers

Labour are v lucky because despite their own disarray on the issue, the Tories will inevitably take the responsibility for the forthcoming bit of a mess. But then again life and politics aren’t fair are they?

agreed

even with Corbyn still in charge (tho imho hes not as unelectable as many think) I cant see the tories poltting a safe course out of this-
    they either let down 48% of the country, 52% of the country or more likely 98%* of the country

*2%= jambalaya, davies, fox, farage and leadsome & a few of the hardcore express/mail readers will probably gaze over our post A50 economic wasteland and still see some sort of fantasy 1950s monoracial utopia

mrmo
    Free Member

IMO 52/48 on a c70% turnout when only c70% of the population could vote is no mandate. That the Tory party have declared that as a resounding mandate has not so much shot themselves in the foot but run into a minefield carrying a nuke.

Some of what May has said about ignored voters, parts of society being abandoned etc is true, but it isn’t the EU that abandoned these areas, and work needs to be done. When you have a media landscape shaped by Murdoch/Dacre/etc was there any likelyhood of a “fair” vote.

So those poor areas are going to hell, tax revenue will drop or tax will have to rise substantially, that is really going to go down well!, there will be no investment because the country can’t afford it. Forget Trident, HS2 etc. The civil service is going to be spending alot of time sorting this bit of a mess. The lawyers are laughing though!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So what are May’s alternatives?

1. Should she be saying Brexshit means Brexshit or possibly Brexshit (we are doing our best to fudge it)?
    2. Get on with things or stick her head in the sand?
    3. Put the monkeys in charge or someone sane?
    4. Pretend that there is something to present to Parliament at every stage to keep 24H news happy or brief as is necessary?

There are more, but those are just starters.

kimbers

5) go for hard brexit, drop corporation tax down to nothing and turn us into a tax haven, there will be no money to help the ‘left behind brexit voters’ but low immigration will help murdoch/dacre convincing them its all getting better and that the EU is definitely going to be worse off

my reasoning is, she prommissed the Nissan guy something at the meeting at No10 today- he left smiling, it was either, yes we will stay in the single market or we will throw you a ton of cash to stay

rosscore
    Free Member

All this talk of hard and soft Brexit is so negative, there is only exit from the EU and the single market, that’s it.

What then needs to be negotiated quickly are the Trade Tariffs to keep goods flowing to and fro and wether or not we agree to remain signed up to product regulations.

Then we have to consider the legal bill and what our exposure to EU liabilities & pensions is going to cost us, this will involve hard bargaining and lots of work. It will be tied to future visas and movement of folk in work, theirs to here, ours to there.

The rest should be just gone, no EU law, no free movement of people, no restrictions on trade arrangements with other countries, no fishing quotas, no farming subsidies, no set aside, but no Eu grants either they’ll have to be sorted internally.

Then it’s Utopia.

A lot to do, best we get on with it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

to remain signed up to product regulations.

Why would they allow us to export goods that didnt match their regulations?

mrmo
    Free Member

May’s alternatives, really do involve the three stooges being incompetent or magicians.

One way she can walk away saying impossible, and the other we do become some kind of nirvana.

IMO she screwed up the moment she started talking about decisive, Farage made it clear that 48/52 would be unfinished business. 52/48 is no mandate.

Also the minor issue of the court case on royal perogative, does she have power or does westminster have the final say. Which then comes back to how many MPs are willing to pull the trigger.

IF they can come out with a plan that the markets accept, the voters accept etc

Junkyard
    Free Member

WHich ex poster are you rosscore?

zippykona
    teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good point – it was a v indecisive vote and its disingenuous of the BSErs to talk otherwise. But she is caught because she cant stand up and say this is bloody complicated, will take time and is a buggers muddle – since she will be declared incompetent – so she has to feign competence (that no one has here) instead.

What a bloody mess

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Just how much rain is falling up north?

ahwiles
    Free Member

rosscore – Member
    Then it’s Utopia.

either:

A) your idea of Utopia is very different from mine

or

B) you really haven’t thought about this at all.

example of ‘B’:

how would UK farmers, producing subsidy-free wheat, compete with EU farmers?

(edit: or ‘C’) troll, well done)

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes its at 55 – 45 it becomes decisive isnt it thm…either that or when they agree with you …one of the two

IMHO neither is that decisive as the gaps remain quite close so that the populace is broadly split into two camps of opposing views

However with one it was a chance in a lifetime and with the other its not a mandate…..gotta have principles in life

molgrips
    Free Member

So what are May’s alternatives?

5. Continue with the plan which is make Brexit look so bad that it gets postponed indefinitely and eventually canned.

I think Juncker’s in on it tbh.

kimbers

5. Continue with the plan which is make Brexit look so bad that it gets postponed indefinitely and eventually canned.

I think Juncker’s in on it tbh.
    and Tusk!

I genuinely have been thinking this is a possibility, I reckon she let Ghosn in on it today too

can you imagine if this conspiracy were to be exposed though?!, how many brexiters heads would actually explode, 😆

rosscore
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member
    rosscore – Member
    Then it’s Utopia.
    either:

A) your idea of Utopia is very different from mine

or

B) you really haven’t thought about this at all.

You tell me your idea of Utopia, I’ll tell you mine, I left out the winky emoji sorry.

My little world is absolute hell since that decision, my living relies on buying goods from a small company in Germany and selling them from my little company here in the UK, rather like that poor lady they all ignored on QT last night telling her she’d better get used to it, the 2 1/2 years of uncertainty ahead, during a period the vat man makes more money from the goods I sell than I do. There are already considerable price pressures and there aint much belt room left, one more knotch and the back of the buckle will touch the front.
    My Utopia doesn’t include anything called Politician.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

You have to think that there is a behind the scenes deal going on

But they will only declare it after the pain of the negotiations becomes clear

El-bent
    Free Member

Then it’s Utopia.

Obviously there are three main parts to this brexshit debacle: Political, Economic, Legal.

Naturally, Darth Theresa and the three brexiteers are focusing on the Political, trying their damnedest to ignore the economic(along with all the other utopian Brexshit loonies) and have completely buried their heads in the sand over the legal complications of trying to exit something to which the country has belonged to in one form or another for the last forty years. The legal complexities alone could take decades to untangle.

This is why the “hard brexit” thing has been put forward, a purely political agenda that attempts to brush under the carpet the other two parts. Unfortunately for them the “wall of reality” has once again appeared.

Its curious that we get on this here forum what appears to be the most ardent of brexshiteers(loonies) who are trying to will into existence some sort of utopian free trade world, that hasn’t existed up until now for good reason, and will not exist now or in the future for the same good reason.

Brexit should be a lesson to others that exit from EU doesn’t exempt you from globalization;it just gives you less power to shape its rules.

mrmo
    Free Member

The fundamental point that never gets answered, if this is about migration why were we still having 150k non EU people coming into the UK, the easily stopped number. It is almost as if the politicians don’t want to admit that stopping immigration is going to cause a few minor issues in itself.

igm

Rosscore – I suspect unless Brexit is very soft or canned your present is your foreseeable future. It probably isn’t going to get better after A50 is triggered, and it will be 5-10 years* before a positive stability starts to set in. Sorry, but I guess that’s what the overwhelming majority voted for.

*my estimate – jambalaya suggested somewhat longer.

mrmo
    Free Member

and just to throw into the mix, just reading in Economist survey that upto 10% of brexit voters regret voting that way. only 2% of remain voters have that regret.

So there goes any mandate.

Get a few more bad stories and apart from Jambalaya will anyone complain if Brexit is scrapped?

The UK was doing so well afterall in the ’70’s! do we really want to go back there!

rosscore
    Free Member

IGM you are quite correct hence my plea would be to get a move on.

As for Free Trade Area, I was in business in the 70’s and in those days we did actually appear to sell more cars to Europe than they to us, unfortunately our labour relations were such that nobody wanted to make them with any regularity. It is ridiculous to compare the UK as it is today with the UK of the 70’s, but having lived through the period even despite the inflation and the other problems it was a better time for young adults to set out on life’s course.
    You could work in Europe if you were lucky enough to get such a job, travel there was not a problem except like now the £ was in the toilet, so we used to ski in Italy where like now their economy was little better than ours and the lire could be purchased more reasonably.
    What the EC promised and delivered was the lack of problems for goods crossing borders, if you were shipping a truck load of handbags from Italy to here it didn’t get stopped and have to show customs documents at the Austrian, German, French or Belgian borders. It was, still is, a great idea, what wasn’t such a great idea was the politicising of the trading group and it’s continued expansion, it’s often the way with buying and trading groups all the time they are small and manageable they are very successful, trouble only comes when there are too many beaks in the trough.

The mistake was rolling the EU right up to Putins door, they should have stopped at Poland and the Czech & Slovac republics, but what done can’t be undone, all we can do is exit and hope to start anew, it’s going to hurt, but I can only hope it’ll be alright in the end, providing there isn’t WW3, news of China sending thousands of troops to help conquer Isis, Nato troops massing along the Russian borders doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence in anything right now.

mrmo
    Free Member

http://www.politico.eu/pro/theresa-mays-brexit-war-cabinet/

if they are the finest minds the uk can muster 🙁

RichPenny
    Free Member

Obviously there are three main parts to this brexshit debacle: Political, Economic, Legal.

Correct, nobody appears to give a shiny shit about the human element.

cchris2lou

Carney just said inflation will rise and poorer in society will suffer even more with higher food prices.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Carney just said inflation will rise and poorer in society will suffer even more with higher food prices.

“NSS!” – and wait for when rates are normalised. Who will be screwed then?

rosscore
    Free Member

cchris2lou – Member

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO #

And he could stop it now, in a trice, just restore interest rates to 1/5% suddenly, the £ would recover, inflation wouldn’t occur..

But he won’t, the Masters of the Universe have an entirely different Agenda.

cchris2lou

surely rising interest rates would create chaos on housing market .

I dont think Carney is that keen on current government .

Viewing 40 posts - 11,961 through 12,000 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.