Home Forums Chat Forum EU Referendum – are you in or out?

Viewing 40 posts - 11,921 through 11,960 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • binners

Brexit won’t harm our prospects

What I find utterly terrifying is that people can inhabit such a cloud cockoo-land alternative universe that they actually believe this shit.

Jumping off the top of this very tall building will do me no harm whatsoever.

There is obviously the possibility that the ground rushing up to meet me may possibly inflict some kind of damage, at some indeterminate point in the future, but I don’t think I need to concern myself with that for now

rosscore
    Free Member

The problem is, ‘those in power’ can’t alter what is going to happen next, there is more power vested in computer algorythms trading our currency than anything Politicians can do.

There is only one certainty and this is two and a half years of uncertainty which is why they should trigger A50 sooner rather than later unless it is as I suspect a conspiracy to delay and hope things get so bad nobody will want to leave any longer. Those that are wielding the limited economic controls are certainly not doing anything that’s going to improve our circumstances.

Talking sterling down this low will import inflation, food inflation, fuel inflation, raw material inflation,in fact everything we’ve been hoping for to correct the wage imbalance and snap us out of stagflation but it’s not going to feel good, businesses are going to fail and there is going to be a massive recession if they don’t do something to stabilise the currency markets and that is mission impossible.

The deed fortunately or unfortunately is done, and what is needed now is a clear sense of either getting on with it, or not, arguing wether it’s a good or bad thing will contain in itself, a self fulfilling prophesy of disaster, say it often and long enough and it will become true.

My prophesy? inflation above 3% by Christmas and interest rates on the rise by the new year, by the time we trigger A50 in March in the teeth of a seasonal and financially based slow down, nobody is going to want it to happen and there aint’ going to be many jobs spare for immigrants or anyone else for that matter.

dazh

By that time the EU quite possibly won’t exist.

This I fear is the real agenda of the brexiteers. They’re not content with trashing our own country for their own narrow ambitions, they want to trash the rest of the EU too.

binners

we will be encouraged to spend more on UK products and less on imports is good for our economy.

Can’t wait to see the UK made version of the Macbook Pro I was stupidly about to buy, and kit it out with the equivalent UK made Adobe software.

Oh wait… hang on a minute….

igm

Jamba – can you confirm the source of each of these statements?

Manufacturing up (due to lower pound)
    Record service sector revenues (lower pound helps a lot)
    Best growth of G7 nations

I thought the most recent figures said otherwise, but I could be wrong.

The trade gap is rising isn’t it? Which is worrying given the exchange rate.

And some big inflation is probably just round the corner in a country that imports a third of everything it uses that just saw a 30% (ish) currency devaluation over the last 12 months.

Agreed?

chewkw
    Free Member

It is very normal for EU bureaucrats to describe Brexit in very negative ways because there is NO other way, the opposite is more of a concern.

The impact on the economy is normal in any sort of adjustment period and this is also the time for big speculators to cash in. There will be several periods where you will see share/currency speculators cashing in and making big profit in the next few years. Normal.

Economy will come and go in cycle (Yes, boom and bust – inevitable) but the emotional health of the majority that voted for Brexit will be much better without EU. They have had this pressure on them for a long time.

On the other hand, like a cycle, the remainder will now have to through the same emotional consequences of those people in 1 January 1973. Very normal. Time will pass and when the dust settle they will feel much better as they will see the light.

Try as they will but Brexiters are dragging them out of EU whether they like it or not just like the day when they dragged others into EU. All the delay in laws/arguments/Parliamentary debates are just the devil’s details that need to be ironed out. Therefore, they just have to give it their best to let Brexiters know their feeling while the topic is still on everyone mind.

The EU system is like the boa constrictor slowly squeezing the air out off the people lungs but now we can breath fresh air again.

zippykona

Being a Brexiter must be like having Status Quo tattoo. It was a good idea at the time but no matter how shit they are you still have to buy their records.

BoardinBob

And here in lies the crux of the problem. We will be “encouraged” to spend more on UK products. I just did a quick scan of my desk and surroundings

My Camelbak water bottle is made in China
    My tablet is made in Taiwan
    My mobile phone is made in Korea
    My computer monitor is made in China
    My desk phone is made in China
    My LCD TV is made in Taiwan
    My watch is made in Taiwan

What fantasy world do you live in where we’re suddenly about to make all those things in the UK?

The general public want to earn more money and pay even less for the bits of tat they use to fill the empty voids in their life.

I can go onto the Argos site right now and buy a 49″ LCD TV for £500. It’s been made in the far east and shipped here. How much do you reckon that TV would cost if it was made in the UK?

Grow up and wake up. When the masses realise how much they’ve been conned, and how expensive life is going to get for them, it’ll be far too late and those that led us down this road will be laughing at them in their Chelsea and Mayfair homes.

Dark-Side

wobbliscott – Member
    whatever Brexit looks like we must have control of our boarders,

?

dazh

but the emotional health of the majority that voted for Brexit will be much better without EU. They have had this pressure on them for a long time.

8O

WTF are you talking about? What pressure? Being part of the most successful and richest economic bloc in the world? Living in peace for 70 years with people who were once sworn enemies? Being able to work, travel, live in some of the most beautiful countries on the planet? Exposure to other cultures, languages etc? Must have beein f***** terrible for them! Still, as long as we can have bendy bananas and call a pork sausage a pork sausage eh!

kelvin

the emotional health of the majority that voted for Brexit will be much better without EU.

Bullshit.

They’ll keep blaming immigrants and feeling like they have no control over their country.

None of that ‘feeling’ or, the damaging effects if it, will dissipate in 29 months time.

Why would it?

chewkw
    Free Member

zippykona – Member
    Being a Brexiter must be like having Status Quo tattoo. It was a good idea at the time but no matter how shit they are you still have to buy their records.

Actually it is more like Rick Astley’s Never Gonna Give You Up. Check the lyrics coz it is very appropriate.

kelvin – Member

the emotional health of the majority that voted for Brexit will be much better without EU.

Bullshit.

They’ll keep blaming immigrants and feeling like they have no control over their country.[/quote]

That has been the norm for a long time so we shall have to wait and see.

None of that ‘feeling’ or, the damaging effects if it, will dissipate in 29 months time.

Why would it?

If you keep hanging on the “damaging effect” then even 50 years will make no different to how you feel. Let it go.

binners

What’s it like, being you?

kelvin

450,000 claim in-work benefits, this represnts 1 in 8 of EU Nationals – I would wager this is a much higher percentage than German Nationals

Does that include Kindergeld? Mutterschaftgeld? Elterngeld? Or just means tested benefits?

You would “wager”?
    Of course you would, as you believe, despite all evidence, that immigration isn’t important/vital to all levels of an economy, just the lower paid parts.
    Even if you win your wager, we need to know if those benefits are linked to them being more likely to have children, and the effects this has on Germany’s pension time bomb.

Very clear EU Nationals are more likely to be in lower paid jobs and having to be subsidised by the Government.

Very clear? How did you arrive at that conclusion? Are you sure this is not just bullshit?

cchris2lou

And after the Brexiters realise that the EU was not responsible for all their trouble, who are they going to target next? Gay, disabled, black, Asian???
    Very dangerous path.

kimbers

Bullshit.
    They’ll keep blaming immigrants and feeling like they have no control over their country.

Exactly. They’ll still feel left behind as the world homgenisises and changes on without them as they cling to their little englander fantasies

br
    Free Member

My wife asked me does anyone actually remember what the UK was like before we joined the EU (or Common Market as it was then).

All I remember about joining in 1973 was drawing flags of the various nations to hang up in the classroom, but I reckon that the only folk who were working (for a period) before 1973 have probably all retired now…

Quite a decent write up.

http://uk.blastingnews.com/politics/2016/02/why-the-uk-joined-the-eu-in-the-first-place-00785599.html

DrJ

My wife asked me does anyone actually remember what the UK was like before we joined the EU (or Common Market as it was then).

I remember Vesta Chinese meals, and I remember my mum bringing home yoghurt for the first time. Looks like my old age will resemble my childhood in more ways than the obvious.

igm

If Sturgeon pulls off a reverse Denmark (and I’m not saying she will, but it looks like she’s still trying), can we expect to see massive numbers of southern Britons (Welsh, English, whatever) suddenly discovering Scots roots?

kimbers

igm – Member
    If Sturgeon pulls off a reverse Denmark (and I’m not saying she will, but it looks like she’s still trying), can we expect to see massive numbers of southern Britons (Welsh, English, whatever) suddenly discovering Scots roots

yay! my mums from Newton Mearns !

igm

Posh boy

zippykona

I got married in Comlongon Castle does that make me Scottish?

Northwind

Are you any good at football?

DrJ

Are you any good at football?

Yes. Does that rule me out of claiming Scottish nationality?

igm

Largest Scottish city in the UK by population is London and their pro-Europe to so should they be invited to join the progressive British EU teritories? (Needs a new name – even I couldn’t live with that. Does accurately reflect the sentiments though.)

km79
    Free Member

Largest Scottish city in the UK by population is London

Eh? What you smoking?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I assume it means town with the most scottish people in as scottish city will need to be in Scotland

Is London not also Frances third largest city or some such ?

km79
    Free Member

You think there are more Scots living in London than in Glasgow? :|

igm

More people claiming to be Scots, live in London than any other UK city. To be fair there’s only 90k actually born in Scotland (which still gets it 5th place) but if you include Scots parentage etc it rises quickly. That said there’ll be some dubious claims that would never get a passport (if they ever come into being)

20 million Americans claim to be Scots including the “Clan Schultz” at the Granfather Mountain highland gathering one year.

Northwind

Bad form there DrJ, stealing my punchline :(

igm – Member

the progressive British EU teritories? (Needs a new name – even I couldn’t live with that.

Call it Yakult- because it’s ProBEUTic

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Talking sterling down

I’m disappointed that May, Fox, Davies, Johnson et al. are so bad at talking sterling up.

They need to do a Tescos and stand up for themselves.

igm

Like it Northwind. Now can you say it in a Govan accent.

scotroutes

Source? (ah – you edited it).

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20160105160709/http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/mro/news-release/census-2-1—-london/census-gives-insights-into-characteristics-of-london-s-population.html

2011 census data says 90,000 Scots living in London. Even allowing for the number of English (and other nationalities) living in Scottish cities, quite a few of them have more than 90,000 residents. And only 9th most populous nationality, behind India, Poland, Ireland, Nigeria, Pakistan, Bangladesh and “South America”.

igm
    binners

I’m disappointed that May, Fox, Davies, Johnson et al. are so bad at talking sterling up.

Just reading the Guardian financial pages, and they summed up the problem facing the pound and the UK economy generally.

Its in so much trouble because as triggering article 50 looms large, the word from everyone dealing with them seems to be that May, Fox, Davies, Johnson et al haven’t got a bloody clue what they’re doing

rosscore
    Free Member

torsoinalake – Member
    Talking sterling down
    They need to do a Tescos and stand up for themselves.

You forget, the financial establishment are remainers and are doing everything they can to fulfil the prophesies of project fear.

They also need inflation, stagflation has them scared shitless, nothing works the way it should, using ‘Brexit’ as an excuse for price inflation is a way out of the argument, whilst suggesting they are trying to help, when really help wasn’t needed at the time they crashed the £.

Watch oil pricing recover, it’s priced in US dollars, you watch your petrol pumps in the coming months..

kimbers

You forget, the financial establishment are remainers and are doing everything they can to fulfil the prophesies of project fear.

ulysse
    Free Member

The Mrs is a Sweaty sock, so can i come too?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

you watch your petrol pumps in the coming months.

What am I looking for? Them all to start flashing ‘666’ heralding the arrival of the illuminati?

km79
    Free Member

ulysse – Member

The Mrs is a Sweaty sock, so can i come too?

No xenophobes thanks.

Viewing 40 posts - 11,921 through 11,960 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.