Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Ethics of new trails: Stanmer Park
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

I mainly ride at Stanmer Park (location of the Brighton Big Dog) and have seen a few tasty looking stumps and features that would be good fun to incorporate into a new trail.

It’s a wooded area with some well established singletrack, what is the deal with making new trails: faux pas or fo sho? If I were to it would not involve cutting or affecting any trees, maybe clearing some of the ferns/brambles that fill the park.

I’d like to think I was quite environmentally conscious, so I get the disturbance/erosion side of this. I also think that the area wouldn’t be hugely affected by another trail or two.

I wonder whether it may in fact help to have riders spread over a few trails instead of all hammering the same main lines?

I get that there may be clearly divided opinion on this, I’m keen to hear them.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Do you have the landowners permission to build? If not then don’t.

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

the chaps at brightonmtb do quite alot of trail building over there, maybe get in touch? Pop along for a thursday night ride and say hi. ( meet @ the sussex uni car park for 1900hrs )

HermanShake
    Free Member

Jim that’s a mighty fine idea. I knew there were other’s involved and heard about the Tues/Thurs nighters. I need to juggle work and paddling (also Tues/Thurs), but should just sort it out.

Maybe see you there?

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

Herman; more than likely, unless I swap my evening pass for a romp on the motorbike!

robdeanhove
    Free Member

As above, BrightonMTB members are involved in some trail work, they also communicate with the Stanmer Park Preservation Society who manage/represent the park, which is also council run I believe.

Good luck, and enjoy being a trail pixie and admiring your handy work (once you’ve got authority to go play)

HermanShake
    Free Member

I found a bunch of stuff I’d never ridden before in excellent condition. It looks to be this summer’s work and very well built. I think I need to get involved 😀

It connects 2 of the fun sections of singletrack with some really interesting obstacles and an immaculate berm to berm around a birch.

chiefgrooveguru

I’ll be out next weekend if you want a guided tour, or I too may see you on a Tue/Thur evening group ride. I’d like to build some beginner dirt jumps in a quiet corner in the imminent future if you fancy helping with that.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I can’t make the next Tues/Thurs but I’ll probably be down the week after. I’m happy to pitch in on some jumps too, what bike have you got in case I see you don there? I’m the chap with the orange Dialled Prince Albert.

chiefgrooveguru

I’m on this: Scroll down a bit – it’s orange too. I’m really close to Stanmer so drop me an email if you’re heading out sometime and I may join you!

HermanShake
    Free Member

Ok cool, I’m by Sainsbury’s on Lewes Rd so not far. I’ll probably be out in the week, chat to you later.

mischief
    Free Member

Hey guys just joined site to add to your post ( hope you dont mind ). Ive been dirt jumping around the Hollingdean woods but have never ventured to Stanmer for a ride as unsure of jumps etc etc up there. If you plan on building some jumps or are going for a wkend mooch anytime I would appreciate a heads up if you dont mind a tag along ?,. Also if you need a pair of hands to start building just let me know as Im usually available. only really ride jumps at wkends but wkdays im usually pottering around town looking for gaps etc..

cheers =)

Phil

5lab

if you want a jump spot, wild park is much better. Stamner does have a very small number of little lips but they’re very tame

mischief
    Free Member

Thanks 5lab , Yeah thats where I have been practising atm . using the jumps from the Dew pond down to wild park. Im looking for something on more of a level surface to practice a few things. Was going to take a trip to Tillgate forest this wkend but had to cancel as my mate dropped out when he saw the jumps online =( . If anyone reads this who like abit or air now and again around the Brighton area bung me an email ” mischiefmakers@hotmail.co.uk ” as im kinda a loner jumper atm =(

5lab

try and hook up with the sussex uni club. They’re probably about to start up again for the year, and normally have quite a mixed selection of riders there

In the area, there’s a good jumpspot down past shoreham, near the river/railway, and tillgate and Rogate both have jumps of varying sizes. There’s also a nice new spot at the bottom of the ‘windmill’ trail, which is by the roundabout junction of the a23/a27 (just west of the roundabout up the old road by the station

mischief
    Free Member

Thanks matey , muchly appreciated . =)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Ethics of new trails: Stanmer Park’ is closed to new replies.