Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Etape Caledonia…..on my cross bike -)
  • iainc

signed up last night. My only road bike is a cross bike (Jake the Snake) albeit with 28c Gatorskins…….wonder how it/i will cope ? I fairly regularly do 50-60 milers and sometimes a little more with a big pack on weekends away, so fingers crossed.

£61 is a big entry fee though..

paul4stones

It’ll be absolutely fine. I only have a cross bike and did the NR cyclone in 6.23. It’s not about the bike 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

There’s folk on shoppers, hybrids, full-on MTBs, you name it. You’ll be more than fine.

iainc

excellent, sounds good. here’s hoping for some decent weather then !

aP
    Free Member

Why do some of you have this belief that a cx bike can’t be used for riding on the road?
    FWIW I’ve seen someone on a cx bike ride away from the pack and win an E1 road race – admittedly he did then come 3rd at Paris Roubaix the next year..

0pt1cal
    Free Member

Did it on a Genesis Croix de Fer this year and it was easy. First time I had ever used clips so quite a bit of faffing about at first. Great event though and well worth the money.

Gary_M
    Free Member

The first time I did the Bealach Mor I did it on my jake the snake so doing the etape caledonia will be fine Ian.

Maybe I should use my jake the snake for it too and we could be twins 😉

iainc

Maybe I should use my jake the snake for it too and we could be twins

😛

Gary_M
    Free Member

there was supposed to be a smiley after that btw.

fbk
    Free Member

Entered this for the first time – I’m actually quite looking forward to it.

I will be on a road bike though…maybe I need a rethink?

vinnyeh

you are looking outnumbered fbk- unless the bike fairy visits I’ll be on a cross bike as well, albeit one that I’m a bit ashamed to be seen with during daylight.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

I enjoyed it last year but at £61 they’re having a laugh. I’m all for raising money for charity but I’ll do it another way this year.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Re the price, it’s sold out year after year so they know they can keep pushing the price up until they stop managing to sell it out.

I was too slow a few years ago and they already had a massive waiting list if more spaces became available.

You’ll be fine on what ever bike, the Jake is a pretty capable road bike anyway, a guy I know uses one as his winter road bike.

seven
    Free Member

On the price, I agree £61 is a lot, but lets face it I’m happy to pay that for the chance to ride on closed roads. Also, if you tink about it £61 for a years incentive to train and stories to tell after ain’t bad, especially as a lot of us happily pay that for a new (and often un-needed) bike part

djglover
    Free Member

£61 seems OK for me on closed roads…

cupra
    Free Member

A cx bike will be fine bearing in mind last year we saw people doing it on folders and slick shod mtbs amongst other things.

Stuey01
    Free Member

I will be on a road bike though…maybe I need a rethink?

Why?

downshep

There’s folk on shoppers, hybrids, full-on MTBs, you name it. You’ll be more than fine.

I’ll dig the Ute out then…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Etape Caledonia…..on my cross bike -)’ is closed to new replies.