Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Essential kit for a day's riding, (Bikes!) =0)
  • lewymtb
    Free Member

If you were going on a trail riding holiday what would be essential pieces of kit be?. I’m talking about tools and other essentials that you would carry in your day ruck sack. All suggestions very much appreciated!

😀

cfinnimore
    Free Member

socks & socks & peanut butter marmalade bagels.

Paddington goes mental.

7hz
    Free Member

It depends on many things, such as how isolated or close to civilizational you will be, who else is going, the weather forecast, the type of bike you are taking, and if you will be out of mobile phone reach etc etc.

In general. for the average day outing:

Bike Tool kit;

* Puncture repair (vulcanizing solution, patches, sandpaper)
    * Pump
    * Selection of the correct size allen keys
    * Tyre lever
    * Tie-wraps
    * Gaffer tape (1m length wrapped round pump)
    * Chain tool
    * Spare brake pads
    * Chain power link

First Aid:

* Bandages
    * Antiseptic Cream
    * Surgical Tape
    * Gause
    * Co-Codamol
    * Asprin
    * Anti-Histamine tablets
    * Anti-Diarrhea tablets
    * Alcohol Swabs
    * Emergency blanket
    * Butterfly stitches
    * Latex Gloves
    * Anything else you think you may need (wet wipes, tissues, cotton buds, eye wash, eye bath etc etc)

Other

* Food for the day (oatcakes / chocolate / cheese)
    * Drink for the day (water / lucozade)
    * Extra clothing; rain / windproof top / trousers, fleece
    * Sunglasses
    * Suncream (important!)
    * Insect repellent (can get suncream with built in repellent – check Boots)
    * Mobile phone
    * Money
    * Camera

Consider a PLB if you are out of mobile phone coverage, and are solo or in a vulnerable group, or just want to play it safe.

Milky
    Free Member

PLB?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

For a day out?
    Pump’
    tube.
    patches and glue
    cable ties x2
    M6 nut and bolt,
    M5 nutandbolt,
    Sram link
    Multitool.

A bit of food if out more than 3 hrs or so a fair bit if out more than 6 hrs or so.

Water in bottles on the bike

Sunscreen on before you go – or sometimes I will carry some

all in pockets / on frame, in a saddlebag. Why carry more? You spend hundreds of pounds making your bike light then carry the kitchen sink

Edit – light compact waterproof jacket if the forecast is rain

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Anti-Diarrhea tablets<

No shit?

Mind you, I can see why you need it – what with the oatccakes chocolate and cheese combo

Personal Locator Beacon?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Depends how long and remote the ride is. On some short local rides I take nothing but my bike and some change for an ice-cream.

7hz
    Free Member

The PLB would probably be regarded as unnecessary by 99.999% of people 99.99999% of the time, but IMHO they are worthwhile to bring, especially if you have one. Hope never to have to use it, but is literally a lifesaver if the SHTF.

Talking about SHTF, I have never needed to use the anti-diarrhea tablets, but can imaging having them when you get caught with the runs 20 miles from civilization would be a good thing.

TJ, do you not carry any 1st aid? It weighs hardly anything, and as MTB can cause injury, IMHO it is important to carry… got caught short just a couple of weeks ago in the Pentlands, mate came off bike, and his helmet visor cut his nose. Both of us had forgotten our first aid kits, blood everywhere, used water and an old hankey, not ideal!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

7hz – rarely do I carry a first aid kit. Sometimes on group rides, sometimes have one in a vehicle at GT or similar. Its a very limited range of injuries where having a first aid kit makes a significant difference to outcomes.

I probably will take one if going out into the wilds. I wouldn’t bother for the pentlands

Skill and knowledge is the crucial thing not kit.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Just take what makes you feel happy.

A big bag makes me feel happy as I know I can pop to the shops and buy stuff for tea on the way home.

to be honest, if I do or don’t carry a bag, I never notice any difference in comfort.

That is because I am not soft, you see. It’s only a bag. 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Essential kit for a day's riding, (Bikes!) =0)’ is closed to new replies.