• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Espresso Machine, now the Gaggia Classic is ruined…what to buy?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

It looks like Philips have ruined the Gaggia Classic, I’ve had a few espresso machines, and currently have an automatic. What I’d like is a decent manual or semi-auto machine, that make decent, hot espresso.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers

Ricks

premier
    Free Member

Rancilio

deadkenny
    Free Member

From opinions on coffee forums pre and post Philips the difference is very minor and produce the same coffee, except since the 2015 model which has redesigned internals and a SS boiler (better or worse than ali?).

There’s a comparison of the 2015 difference here, though dodgy translation from Romanian https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.espressoman.ro%2Fespressor-gaggia-classic-2015-review%2F&edit-text=&act=url

Conclusion I think is saying the 2015 is actually better.

Main thing I’d say with those at least up to 2014 is get a proper tamp as they now supply a useless plastic one, and bin the ‘crema’ filter stuff which is just used to compensate for using crap coffee. Just buy a decent portafilter, decent coffee and decent grinder.

Davesport

Rancillio Silvia user here. It’s ten years old and still going strong. I can’t make a direct comparison with the Gaggia but I’d definitely buy another one.

D.

TooTall
    Free Member

Go to eBay.
    Buy an older Gaggia Classic.
    Be happy.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Gone from a classic to manual lever machines: La Pavoni Europiccola then a Gaggia G106 (which is a rebadged La Pavoni Pro). Neither lever ended up costing more than £160 and both were far superior to the Classic. You won’t be able to do as many shots in a row and there is a technique/routine to learn and but for me that’s part of the fun.

gemini29
    Free Member

Same here : changed to a lever machine
    PV Export

r1chardh
    Free Member

I’ve had a Rancilio Silvia for about 10 years, and love it – takes a little learning, but makes really great coffee for the money. Needs to be paired with a decent grinder for best results.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve got a Dualit Espressivo, but with the basket swapped for a non-pressurised one from a Krups machine, I think. It works fine, has been very reliable – touch wood – and despite my dubiousness, the change of basket made a real difference to the quality of coffee. Recently roasted and freshly ground beans plus a decent grinder ftw.

kcal

Have a Gaggia Classic (I think) that has fallen out of favour. Not sure how much shipping would be but maybe interested in selling it on, reckon – if you want to email in profile..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Espresso Machine, now the Gaggia Classic is ruined…what to buy?’ is closed to new replies.