• This topic has 30 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by mt.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Erm…. I've got a confession to make
  • binners

Its all my fault I'm afraid. The weather, that is.

Foolishly, I took the met offices advice of a Barbaque Summer at face value. Stupid of me, I know. I fitted a set of skinny fast rolling tyres in anticipation of dry dusty trails

I would like to take this opportunity to apoligise for my rash behavior. The winter mud tyres are going back on this evening, so hopefully you'll all be able to enjoy some sunshine in the coming weeks.

Sorry 🙁

mrsflash
    Free Member

I always knew you were a dodgy sort.

MrAgreeable

I've just put one lot of mudguards back on the road bike, and I'm in the process of making a pimpy wooden set for the hack. So expect glorious sunshine to return soon. 🙂

toby1

Is this the answer to the question "What tyres for influencing weather systems?" – I think it could be 🙂

Binners – how very dare you fit fast dry tyres before the dust has even formed?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Wrong. No sunshine in prospect for August as the Met office have revised their predictions and are now saying we will have good weather from next week on. Mudguard already back on, and digging out the winter clothes

mt
    Free Member

I don't blaim you, it's the Met Office incompetents. How can they continue to make such mistakes. Lat year it was "a warm wet winter" that turned out to be the worst for 18 years, this year it's "barbaque summer". This same bunch of pillocks are the same people that are pushing global warming, if they say nit's going to get warmer I'm buying ski's and getting ready for the next ice age.

mogrim

Is it time for those of us in Spain (c'mon Roper, donsimon, you're slacking) to point out how hot and dry and dusty it is out here?

molgrips
    Free Member

How can they continue to make such mistakes.

Grr. Don't get me started on why this is a totally stupid attitude. Go back to your Daily Mail you know-nothing.

I'm sure they know how to use question marks, at least.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

mt…you just go and buy your skis then. Whilst you're out perhaps you could do us all a favour, nip into a bookshop and buy yourself a nice dictionary. Oh, and learn to use syntax whilst you're learning to spell too. Whilst I'm here, perhaps you could elaborate on your comments and explain to us just how the met office are 'pushing global warming'?

Binners…nice to see you starting a thread again. Not seen anything from you for a while, hope all is well.

binners

I is back Innit! I've been having to actually do some work of late. Frankly its an outrage!!!

zarquon
    Free Member

It's a bloody chaotic system so you can't make long-range predictions grrr!

And if I hear another bloody idiot from the met office banging on about a 65 percent chace of a dryer than average summer or whatever I'll bloody scream – I mean FFS there's a 50% chance that ANY bloody season will be wetter or drier than average anyway blithering idiots, and as to the media reporting such scientific drivel…..

Think I'll go and watch that stupid Sunshine movie for some real scientific inaccuracy and get REALLY upset

stumpyjon

They're not that hot on short term forecasts either. Apparently if you predict tomorrow's weather will be the same as today you'll be right 75% of the time, MET office forecast accuracy is apparently around 78%.

I understand it's a chaotic system, so if you can't predict it don't and definitely don't go and produce a dumded down forecast like it'll be a bar-b-que summer.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nobody ever promised me a BBQ summer, and quite frankly I'm glad about that.

They might smell nice, but they take ages to clean up and generally cut into riding time.

mt
    Free Member

molgrips – Member Have you got your angry head on today, I may not know much but I know a tit when I read one. Supose you work for the Met Office and are happy to be constantly wrong on everything you do.

Roadie – Sorry that my piss poor command of English offends you, I find mistakes by the Met Office just as offensive but must rely on them for part of my living.
    The Met Office has on it's main website loads of information on "Climate Change" in fact it's the second title after the weather, so it could be viewed that they see this as part of thier job. Looking at some of what they predict (wetter and warmer for us) and given their track record of the last few years then for us "global Warming" will in fact be an ice age. Only basis for this is whatever they say would seem to be wrong. Is that enough or do you want to get into things like the gulf stream, north Atlantic drift and ocean cooling.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Git!

mt
    Free Member

You work at the Met Office also?

juan
    Free Member

you'll be allow to complain only when you have to clean melted tarmac out of the tyres 🙁
    At least you can still ride 🙁

phiiiiil

Personally we've had looooads of barbecues here, what's the problem? I probably ate more sausages, burgers, steaks and whatnot through May, June and most of July than I have in the last several years combined.

*Burp*

More pimms? Why, don't mind if I do…

farm-boy

I've just put one lot of mudguards back on the road bike, and I'm in the process of making a pimpy wooden set for the hack.

Yes yes enough about the weather (21 deg and sunny all week here in middle of winter if you must ask). How do I make my own wooden mudguards? Maybe google knows.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Sorry for the bitchy post. I'm not generally quite so aggressive. Anyway, regarding the Met Office, they collect and record climate data, therefore they are a useful resource to anyone examining climate change. I don't see this in any way as 'pushing' climate change.

MrAgreeable

Farm-Boy, ours are a bit trial and error at the moment, but basically we've laminated together a couple of layers of veneer using wood glue, formed them round a tyre, and cut them to shape with a craft knife, then sanded and varnished them until they look passably decent.

We're currently trying to figure out how to fix them – the GF is cannibalising stays and fixings off an old set, I'm making some Honjo-style stays from scratch using aluminium rod from B&Q. The whole project is costing as much as a set of fairly nice SKS chromoplastics and will be nowhere near as practical, but it's been fun.

A much more professional guide can be found here:

http://www.momentumplanet.ca/components/how-make-your-own-wooden-bike-fenders

ourmaninthenorth

binners – I can only assume the moment you chose to fit such tyres coincided perfectly with me leaving the house to ride to work last Thursday.

How do I know this? It was sunny when I went out but within minutes the rain was bouncing three feet off the floor and I arrived at work looking like I'd just chosen to swim to work.

You are not the messiah. You're a very naughty boy.

🙂

ourmaninthenorth

The whole project is costing as much as a set of fairly nice SKS chromoplastics and will be nowhere near as practical

Since when was that ever a consideration..? Mr A, I like your style.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

nope it was all me,
    (it was dry and hot)
    went form swampthings
    to high rollers,
    (it drizzled a bit)
    to HR front and Semislick rear!
    (it chucked it down)

noteeth
    Free Member

I have used WTB Velociraptors consistently for the last decade or so. I guess that can be easily plotted against climatic data.

MrAgreeable

Will get some pics up when they're finished. Will possibly post more pics when they rot, or break. 😉

mt
    Free Member

Roadie – hey no problem on comments, have my fed up head about the weather. Met office do not do themselves any good with crap daily and long range weather forcasts but then expect people to start taking seriously the future of the planet when it comes to possible change. In this neck of the woods people are desperate for a bit of that global warming stuff. Have you had a look at the Met Office Climate Change site, it's quite good, not as scare story as some others.

WackoAK
    Free Member

a week or so of bad weather and you lot forget how good the summer has been so far?? I must have had a record number of consecutive dry rides (that sounds wrong!) this year.

farm-boy

Cheers Mr A. I look forward to the pics.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

you seem to be confusing "climante" and "weather"

One is whats happening outside the window, the other is whats the average been like over the elast 30 years.

The forecasts in high pressure are unreliable because theyr unpredicatable, they can be stable and stationary for days, weeks, or even months. Then all of a sudden, collapse. Hence why wingeing about the weather is more popular in summer, in winter if a high dissapears it brings the temperatue back up a bit.

As for being sceptical about climate change, do you believe in a flat earth and an invisible friend too?

mt
    Free Member

Spoon – who me? I'm not confusing anything I'm just having a rant cause I'm fed up with the rain. It's sunny here today (at the moment) so all is well.
    Climate Change or Global Warming call it what you want, I'd never be sceptical about as it's been happening since the earth started.
    What I do get fed up with is all the doomsayers, who have no idea other than what some vested interest so call enviromentalist group with money to raise, spouts as fact.
    There's many a committed believer in saving the planet on STW world flying of to Spain for a few rides, driving for miles for a bike ride every weekend, producing more kids, using resources with no consideration(ignoring)to the possible environmental harm they are involved in. They just spout the line but do nothing cause it's to difficult.
    The earth will go on long after humans have knackered it, the only sad thing about the end of humans is all the other animals we are taking with us. As I'm sure you know humans are just a blip in the life of Earth and the planet will regulate it's self, I find that sort of reassuring.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Erm…. I've got a confession to make’ is closed to new replies.