Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How do you pick a line down this?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Did a loop around Baildon and Harden this morning, never been out in such slippy conditions! The last bit of the ride was this….

Complete river of water ice! Didn’t come out great on camera phone.

It was a great sunrise though if a bit chilly..

Started this climb and managed a 1/4 of it before spinning out. Walking up it was near impossible. Crampons would have helped!

Full route here..

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/rJp_sk-KDjM

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Nice pics.

I was out on my cx bike this morning, being in the softy South nowhere near as cold as it looks in your pics, but had a lot of wheelspin issues on ice nonetheless. I find ‘cross tyres work quite well in those conditions as being so narrow they dig in through the ice and find grip, whereas fatter MTB tyres tend to slide around on top of the ice.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Go down the right hand side …..grass is shorter so easier to walk carrying your bike 😉

Klunk
    Free Member

been riding similar stuff today, bloody fabulous day though a very hard frost last night. I don’t think you pick a line as any change of direction is fatal. More a case of keeping the bike upright and be prepared for a calamity 🙂 Its the sudden realizsation when you hit stuff like that at speed that if you need to stop quickly it just ain’t going to happen ! not without pain anyway. Lukily only a couple of comedy offs today, hidden ice ridges under the snow snatchin the front wheel and a front wheel wash out on some off camber snow.

Kit
    Free Member

How’s about this one, then? 😉

Ice by Ginger F0x, on Flickr

matt_outandabout

Aye, some similar bits round here just now. No pics as I was clinging on and wondering if I was going to make the bottom or not… 😯

malchales
    Free Member

i was out around the Cissbury ring area this morning. as cold as ive ever known it when i 1st went out, the sun came out, and it was fantastic!at least i went out, my riding mates decided against it. wish ide takemy camera, the sun was up, and the firm snow/ice was glistening.

will go cissbury tomorrow, then off to a beer festival, what could be better?

Bregante

That first shot pretty much summarises my entire ride this morning. Blummin waste of time it was. Ended up doing the last 14 miles on the road – on 140mm travel F.S bikes 😳

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

You batter straight down the middle of it. Dont try and brake, dont try and turn.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

With some ice spiker tyres

hofnar
    Free Member

Ride on the sides the grass and some dirt poking through will give you grip. Don’t ride slow momentum is everything.

Have some nice stuff close to my house now snowdrifts up to 3-4 ft high constant freezing gave them a nice hard crust with momentum and balls the are ridable bu if you go through the crust its probably axle deep and it throws you off the bike. Its great stuff pitty some of the roads got cleared already.

barnsey
    Free Member

close your eyes and go with the flow

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

What about this then? Ended going down the middle of it unable to brake and just had to carry on until there was an escape route. Winter makes riding more exciting!

dazz
    Free Member

you don’t pick a line, just go whichever way your backside takes you & hope the bike doesn’t catch up 🙂

meehaja
    Free Member

yeah I tried Stainburn, it looked a lot like that. Gutted as I’ve not ridden there in ages and was really excited about it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How do you pick a line down this?’ is closed to new replies.