Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Ergon Grips
  • rootes1

you don’t realise how comfy/good they are (were) until you fit some odi style (specialized) standard round grips!

orangeboy
    Free Member

Love my ergon grips soooooo much better on my hardtail but don’t seem to make much differnace on the full sus

glen815
    Free Member

+1 for the Ergon grips. Fitted to all my bikes.

timb34
    Free Member

They all look like they’re designed for flat bars – anyone using them on low/high risers?

The-Beard

I have GS grips for my flat bars and GA for the risers. Won’t use anything else, been a revelation. Also got their gloves which I really like too. Have a reputation as a bit of an ergon fanboy amongst friends, but hey, it works for me!

glen815
    Free Member

I use them on low rise without any issues except the total lack of wrist/lower arm pain. I was the biggest sceptic out there and tried everything else from bike fits to excersise and nothing worked. Bought the Ergons and after two rides with minor adjustments to find the optimal position I’m now in a happy place. Yes they look a bit ‘old ladyish’ but I don’t care.

I tried some other ergon style grips, I can’t remember the make, I think they might have been Specialized, and they made no difference at all.
    Are genuine Ergon grips really any better than the others, or is it just that my particular hand and wrist problem can’t be solved by grip shape ?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

great grips – ive just bought some new ones

ive got some ergon ga1 leichbau (lightweight?) ones in black/grey if anyone fancies them? a bit of wear to them but loads of life left!

ratherbeintobago

I tried some other ergon style grips, I can’t remember the make, I think they might have been Specialized, and they made no difference at all.
    Are genuine Ergon grips really any better than the others, or is it just that my particular hand and wrist problem can’t be solved by grip shape ?

I think they’re one of those things that work for some people but not others. I am one of the converted, though.

Andy

TiRed

I think they work only when properly set up. They should be at about 30 degrees to the horizontal, pointing upwards. I use them on riser bars and won’t use anything else.

Remember that they come in two sizes. Mine are Small but I have also used Large, and there is a huge difference. Start with Small.

mattjg
    Free Member

Ergon curious here, how are they for climbing standing out of the saddle (a lot!)?

andytherocketeer

One thing that is handy, is that they have them on a display stand in the shop to try out. Personally, i preferred teh ones with a smaller ergonomic bit (might have been the XC race one?).

Wouldn’t want them on any bike for anything remotely technical. Didn’t really seem to allow proper grip on the bars.
    Would consider them for a flat bar road bike, or maybe easy gravel trail XC type bike.

rootes1

also re sizing makes if a difference if you wear gloves or not

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Today I had a feel of the CEOs Specialized Ergon type grips. From the short play I had I was fairly impressed, probably enough to order some real ones when funds allow.

Junkyard
    Free Member

anyone using them on low/high risers?

yes with bar ends as well

how are they for climbing standing out of the saddle (a lot!)?

I hold the bar ends but dont use them on the SS

rootes1

^ why would using them on high/low risers make a difference to flat bars?

^ ditto climbing out of the saddle?

curious

steve_b77
    Free Member

But they look rubbish 😆

tinybits
    Free Member

They work very well, I have them angled down slightly and find them fine on technical terrain as well. Also have some bar end versions in the cupboard that I put on for endurance events, just gives those extra options. Happy to keep them on the bike however rubbish they look.

nick1962
    Free Member

Wouldn’t want them on any bike for anything remotely technical. Didn’t really seem to allow proper grip on the bars

Yes I stick to canal towpaths with mine 😉

simonr2011
    Free Member

Yes they are great grips. I had them fitted on my full susser for at least a year and had no issues although they can be slightly uncomfortable at times.

Went out last weekend for a burn around the Mendips and thought I would try some normal lock ons and to my surprise had a very sore wrist half way around.

Guess what’s going back on the bike 😀

martinxyz
    Free Member

Edit:

Ergon style grips – The answer to bad saddle positions that’ll never get adjusted, since 84.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Complete convert. No issues on technical riding what so ever.

TiRed

Mine are set up so that when side on, my wrist has no kink in it and the brakes adjusted to be reached by first two outstretched fingers. I’ve found no issues standing, climbing or just riding. Most of my riding is technical singletrack. I found that the small fitted MUCH better for my small hands (originally bought a large pair for a different bike), and that I don’t place much weight on them at all. What they do is maintain correct wrist alignment. That’s about it.

I don’t understand why you would angle them down. That makes no sense to me unless you ride with either kinked wrists or very high bars (and brakes angled upwards!)

The-Beard

Ergon style grips – The answer to bad saddle positions that’ll never get adjusted, since 84.

That’s actually quite an interesting point. When I was a teenager and first got into riding it was a rock hard selle italia saddle and thin foam grips on a flat, narrow alloy bar, never had any hand pain whatsoever. As an adult it’s been really bad with a flat bar which may well be down to position, but I never thought about changing anything as the ergon’s made it all go away! I think I’ll look into that.

Blackhound

I never quite got on with the Ergon grips and bought some Specialized ones which were fine. I think thry were a bit hard to the touch and hurt my little handies. The Spesh ones are softer.

I must give them another go.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Been using them for some time and still have issues with numbness. I’ll have to tweak them a bit, see if it improves

clubber
    Free Member

I was pretty sceptical and had heard all the ‘no good for technical riding’ type comments but I saw some for £3 at the Bristol bike jumble so thought I’d give them a punt given that I’ve often suffered with pain in the outside of my hands when mtbing almost irrespective of adjustments I’ve tried and just learnt to live with it.

In short, I rarely get the pain when using the ergons. I don’t find them any different for technical riding either so for me, it’s all win.

I still use normal grips on my other bikes but that’s because I don’t usually ride them for more than 2 hours so hand pain is less of an issue.

tinybits
    Free Member

angled down comment was made in reference to the 30 degree upwards style above, I have mine so that they just support the back of my hand and keep it all nicely lined through, and that’s slightly down from horizontal my arse in the air, xc racer position I have on my bike. I found it was slightly better that way as when I drop my saddle to do something reasonably technical, I can hang over the back with no worries.
    Hard to explain, but I love the grips. What I may do however, is get a different set of forks that allow a little bit of headset stacking, then fit the flat bars of my youth as I don’t find any riser bars that comfortable, then see if I still need the ergon grips!

wwaswas

only real problem with Ergon is if you’re someone who really drops their elbows when climbing. If you stand or just sit and spin it’s fine.

I have them on all my bikes and love them. It’s not like you can see them when you’re actually riding, is it 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Ergon Grips’ is closed to new replies.