Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Epping forest!!
  • Epping forest, where to park where to go????

Kryton57

High Beech / the visitors centre is your best bet. Be warned the High Beech car park is being re-vamped at the moment so there is limited parking (30 cars).

Carl’s tea hut is still open for pies and rolls though 😀

Edit: As to where to go – everywhere – follow the single, look for all the “ins” off the bridleways.

Or, go at weekends, particularly sundays to join up with a local group.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

I can scan and email you an OS mapped route if you like?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Don’t forget, the rules are that at some point in the ride you have to stop at Pole Hill and gaze at the view for a bit

Yeah I have been told it’s a case of just follow the singletrack etc and ride everywhere but wanted to know a place to start. I will be going up this Sunday so could join a group. But want to try my new steed out in the morning. An os map would be good

Kryton57

piedi di formaggio – Member
    Don’t forget, the rules are that at some point in the ride you have to stop at Pole Hill whipps cross and gaze at the view eat a bacon sandwich for a bit.

ftfy

br
    Free Member

Try and get the attention of senorj of the STW parish, he took me and it was singletracktastic.

Note – only go when its dry

chakaping
    Free Member

An os map would be good

No, it wouldn’t really help.

You need to hook up with someone really, or just nose around and hope you get lucky.

plumber
    Free Member

http://www.mbro35.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=55

These guys have two groups going round on Saturdays. I’ve been with the ‘slow’ group a few times and they are alright for ‘southern poofters’

plum

Kryton57

One of our guys rides with them and isn’t impressed.

We / I ride much faster and harder 😀

Happy to take you around, but I won’t be there until the weekend after next….

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

Epping forest is good place to ride but personally i think that it isnt as good as some people claim, sorry..

Around Broxbourne woods /wormley woods you can get some very good rides as good and at times better than epping forest, also the routes are a lot easyer to find as there isnt that many fire-roads and so it flows a lot better.

Thats my main problem with epping too many fire-roads and “walker “firendly/man made roads cutting through what is a lovely place.

its my lifes little gripe, too much of countryside is being made “walker” friendly rather than left to nature and so upto the person to discover the routes themselfs then share them with others, for me the best part of riding is meeting up with locals and finding these routes:)

end of gripe.

toby1

Yeah but at Epping you can get 3 cups of tea, 3 rolls and 3 cakes and it might just break £5 – Tea hut legend!

br
    Free Member

The route senorJ took me on:

And +1 for the Tea Hut; 2 teas, 2 cheese rolls/chutney, 2 large cakes and a can of Coke = £6.20

Kryton57

blablablacksheep – Member
    Epping forest is good place to ride but personally i think that it isnt as good as some people claim, sorry..

Thats my main problem with epping too many fire-roads and “walker “firendly/man made roads cutting through what is a lovely place.

You obviously don’t know it very well – I could take you on a 6 hour single track ride barely touching a fire road in all that time. With options for hills, star wars endor forest like singletrack swooping (in the summer) rolls, cake, bacon rolls, tea, coffee, cake stunning views of that London, and some bikes.

Whats to be disappointed about?

Wally

Loads of groups head out from Carl’s tea hut (high beach) just turn up and join in. Quite interesting is the idea that it is called high beach because it is a sandy beach…… high up.

b r that map is a great help, I’m going in the morning for a little blast. Then prob venture over Sunday and see if I can tag along with a few people.
    Krypton57 I’d be very impressed if all of that was in the forest, I’m only a couple of miles away too

eyerideit
    Free Member

allmountainventure – Member
    I can scan and email you an OS mapped route if you

Can you email me one please?

eyerideit at yahoo . co . uk

Also B R Is there any chance you can post a link for the map of your route?

Thanks

br
    Free Member

eyerideit – YGM

stufield
    Free Member

has been 18 years since i lived there but even fire roads can be fun, used to love Snaresbrook to Epping Blast. Eagle pond for jumps and single track all the way to epping. just watch out for ancient monuments that look lile good jumpy spots near Theydon Bois.

senorj

I’m not around on sunday sorry.
    The High Beach visitor centre sells a decent map – take a compass.
    btw ,the br route was just a taster – there’s miles we didn’t touch. 😀
    It’s bone dry at the moment – I’m going this afternoon on my way home.
    via Broxbourne & Wormley woods 😀 🙂

Ha senorj if you see a biker looking lost on a yeti point him in the right direction lol.
    Right going to go to high beach visitor centre get a map and do some exploring. Thanks everyone for there assistance

senorj

U going today? if so I’ll look out for your yeti.
    I’ll be at carl’s tea hut noon/12.30 on a black p7 …say hello.

qwerty
    Free Member

Like most wooded places you need a guide to get the best out of Epping.

You can start a ride in Epping town and ride singletrack the entire way to Whips Cross if you have local knowledge.

Best done dry, or SS or CX if wet.

Señor j just seen your post, I turned up a bit later but think I did see you pass me near the carpark. Well it was a guy on a p7. Well I rode 200 metres my right pedal came off the spindle and ended up in the growth somewhere. If someone finds an xtr pedal let me know lol. Spares are at home so will have to come back another day

senorj

muffs…. was that you with the tattoos that I said hello to?
    You should have shouted….bad luck about the pedal.
    I may be back Wednesday a.m.

Yes mate that was me, if I can get a new set before wed I’ll be there. My spares have gone missing too

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Epping forest!!’ is closed to new replies.