Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Epic Designs – Frame and Seatbags DIY
  • Rik
    Free Member

Right I've finally got my frame bag (a la epic designs) from my mother in law. She's done an amazing job of copying the design from pictures and replicating it (she used to be a professional curtain maker) so the quality and finish is super high and of course the bag is custom made for my Ti 456.Total cost for materials, fabric and zip £7.20

Looking forward to a bivi tonight in the Peak (even though the weather is not looking to nice).

But next job is a custom expandable seatbag (again a la epic designs). Looks a bit harder to make and design. I've seen a couple of diy ones on the bikepacking site. Just wondered if any of stw had given it a try if so any advice?

pedalhead
    Free Member

blimey, does she do commissions?

Rik
    Free Member

Afraid not but if is a useful resourse to be able to make use of :o)

pedalhead
    Free Member

yeah good for you! I have a big (and expensive) order sitting with Eric at the moment. Would be interested to see what your frame bag looks like.

mafu26
    Free Member

It'd be interesting to see how long it lasts (not dissing your ma in law!) I Was very happy with my seat bag recently – managed 650 miles across spain on the road bike a few weeks ago. I over loaded it to the max and not a stretched seem or anything. Still looks as good as new. But then as £7.50 I guess it doesn't matter if it doesn't last! Any pics?

Rik
    Free Member

It should last a long time. As it's made with very expensive (although I got a cheap end of roll off cut) special cordura that contains Kevlar strands – it's supposedly what they make firemans suits from. Everything has been double or triple stitched with rot proof thread.

It's a proper job – for sure.

Rik
    Free Member

I'll try and get some pics tonight on my bivi

AlexSimon

Sounds good – looking forward to seeing the pics.
    I've bodged a few things together, but I haven't delved fully into the world of material/sewing machine/zips etc.
    I'm getting tempted though.

Rik
    Free Member

No keen bag designer or sewing machine wizzes out there?

mafu26
    Free Member

How long did your mother in law take to make it?

coastkid
    Free Member

also owning an epic framebag and gastank i use a sealine bag with handle threaded through the seat post for my micro tent or Henessy hammock,

have a look here
    but……im looking into this as a part time er pastime…buying an industrial sewing machine and making my own frame bags,handlebar bags,seatbags,and map holders, but it is a long way off from selling them…
    i have to make them and test them and give some folk some to test as they have to be tough…really tough as you have to offer a guarantee before even considering selling them but its something i believe there is a market for in the UK,
    i hope to get things rolling over the winter months and will use my blog and youtube films to promote bikepacking,
    this form of mtb travel is bound to increase as its cheap…and fun 😮
    heres my last trip,only 1 night instead of 2 but alot of fun despite the weather, BikingThe Kintyre Way

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Epic Designs – Frame and Seatbags DIY’ is closed to new replies.