Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Enve AM rims on a HT .. "too stiff"? (alternatives)
  • Northwind

The 33mm is still pretty generous- wider internally than a Flow Ex and the hookless design should mean the tyre’s more “round” so a little higher volume. Making molds is expensive so tbh I’d be a bit surprised if they produce any more sizes for 26 inch.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Ah so the flow is 29.1 outer and 25.5 inner

trickydisco
    Free Member

and the LB 33mm

mattjg
    Free Member

yowser that LB 33w is 30mm deep. does that mean the wheel builder uses shorter spokes?

njee20
    Free Member

If we’re talking rim deflection this is a great example:

Followed by:

Now I doubt it was perfect afterwards, but it seems you can deflect a carbon rim quite a bit and it’ll come back!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

njee, you’re not fooling anyone, we all know he rode into a big pothole

flange
    Free Member

At 800 pounds each (or however much they are now) if do you buy them I’m sure you’ll convince yourself they’re amazing

Every post you make on this, you always sound SO bitter. Would you like to borrow mine so you can see what you’re missing?

I have Enve’s in my fully rigid 29er, they’re spot on. That said, with the price and all the positive feedback they’ve got, the LB ones seem a better choice.

I’ve also got a set of 29er reynolds and whilst very light, I’m forever breaking spokes..this is on the AM wheelset.

mattjg
    Free Member

LB coming through strongly from where I sit. I want the wheel not the branding.

@gee76 would really appreciate an update once you have your 35mms up and running.

honourablegeorge

flange – Member

I have Enve’s in my fully rigid 29er, they’re spot on. That said, with the price and all the positive feedback they’ve got, the LB ones seem a better choice.

The LBs at $170 a rim really do look like a bargain in the context of Enve’s £748 per rim (that’s the cheapest UK [price I could see on google for the trim).

$170 versus $1246 is an incredible gap, and it’s difficult to imagine the Enve’s can be that much better. Their warranty is certainly top notch – but LB have looked after people too, and you’re still getting more than 6 LB rims for the price of one Enve.

mattjg
    Free Member

fyi folks I emailed LB, the current 29er options are:

27mm wide external/22mm internal hookless
    30mm / 23mm (inside edges of the beading) beaded
    35 mm / 30mm hookless

tempted by the 30/35, weight is comparable to the Arch Ex I currently run. perhaps I’ll sit on my hands for a little, perhaps I’ll take a punt. see how the day goes …

building on to Hope hubs adds about 220usd to the price, but buys back frame and fork flexibility (my current frame has 9mm QR at the back, the next is unlikely to)

mattjg
    Free Member

anyone know what %ge I need to add to LB’s costs, for import duty & VAT ?

a fully built wheel set on Hope is looking to come out about 900 USD (£540 ish) including courier.

njee20
    Free Member

They mark the value as $50, I paid £28, of which half was Parcelforce fees.

Edit: that was rims only, don’t know if they do the same on wheels.

Gotama
    Free Member

Been looking at this for a new wheel…..the Hope hub option would suggest it is the old pro 2s given the drive options ie no 11 speed and therefore would be the older bearings and lower number of pick up points……if that makes any difference.

Northwind

I’m getting mine as rim-only and building them onto hubs here, rather than importing any more parts than I need to.

I’ve got the customs note from my last rim somewhere, I’ll try to drag it out. I think it came to £20-ish.

mattjg
    Free Member

yeah rims may be a good move, actually I have a set of hubs on a 26″ wheel set that I’m never going to ride again …

I’ve never done a wheel build … should I? why not, have done most else.

@gotama let’s chat before order, maybe we can split the courier fee etc. I’m in no great rush.

Gotama
    Free Member

Ok, sounds good. Just checking where I can get a wheel built as I don’t fancy doing it myself.

mattjg
    Free Member

3rd party build fine by me too

bigjim

How do you pay the customs charge etc? Getting mine sent to the office in a potentially rash move…

njee20
    Free Member

Parcelforce send you an invoice, pay online.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

or track it, know when its at the depot and ring and pay the change, as the invoice takes a day or so to arrive

davosaurusrex

Probably a stupid question but I’m not up to speed with these hookless rims – anyone know if they can be run with tubes or do they have to be tubless? Suspect it’s the former

mattjg
    Free Member

good question, I’ve more than once had to put a tube in my Stans to get home. (bump).

Northwind

davosaurusrex – Member

Probably a stupid question but I’m not up to speed with these hookless rims – anyone know if they can be run with tubes or do they have to be tubless? Suspect it’s the former

They can be run tubed or tubeless. (not sure there are any tubeless rims that can’t work with a tube, you never know…)

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Enve AM rims on a HT .. "too stiff"? (alternatives)’ is closed to new replies.