Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • enough to make the urine boil?
  • philfive
    Free Member

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/9724469.Burnley_thief_caught_out_over_bike_s_value/

so in a nutshell, he steals bike, sells it, gets caught, refuses to say who it was sold to and then gets a slapped wrist.

in the mean time some poor bloke has lost a £2300 bike. that’s justice.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Owner could still sue him to get more than the £500 more than if has got so far.

180 hours unpaid work also.

Is this lenient or average?

unklehomered
    Free Member

180 hours is fine I can’t fathom why comp wouldn’t be the value of the bike though… surely that would be the obvious figure…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Suspended sentence means any conviction for anything gets him to jail

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Owner could still sue him to get more than the £500 more than if has got so far.

Probably, but that assumes the scrote has any means to pay, otherwise it’d end up being 50p/week for the next 50 years assuming he ever works again (there are a lot of people without criminal records looking for work right now).

Junkyard
    Free Member

Seems an odd verdict and if it was my bike not one I would be happy with, The lack of contrition [ saying who it was sold too] surely worsens the offence. What sort of defence is I did not know what it was worth?

I assume he lost his job as well though

philfive
    Free Member

should be sent to jail for 12 weeks simple as, if he says who he sold it to then he gets a suspended sentence, police also get somebody for handling stolen goods.

philfive
    Free Member

and cynic-al

my mate got 180 hrs community service from the same court for falling to report he reveresed into a bollard that he didn’t know he had done. so theft of property is the same as a driving offence?

we all moan about bike thefts rising and this approach is one of the reasons.

MSP

police also get somebody for handling stolen goods.

Anybody who ever bought a parts on ebay or the classifieds could also run the possibility of getting done for handling stolen goods, there could be lots of criminal records being created.

philfive
    Free Member

there is a defence of not knowing on ebay though.

scaredypants

Anybody who ever bought a parts on ebay or the classifieds could also run the possibility of getting done for handling stolen goods, there could be lots of criminal records being created

Anybody who buys a 2 grand bike for 100 quid deserves prosecution
    (though, obviously, this scrote did not sell it for 100 quid at all and was just attemting to minimise his scrotitude in the eyes of prosecuting authorities)

smell_it
    Free Member

Not a great read, but if that boils your urine don’t read the rest of the news or you will explode!

philfive
    Free Member

smell-it

why shouldn’t that story make me angry? it’s local to me and they guy, in my eyes, has walked free to do it again.

Dobbo

“Andrew Church-Taylor, defending, said his client had no concept of the true value of the bike.” WTF has that got to do with it apart from he’d have sold it for more than the £100 or maybe nicked sooner. Also how do we know he only got £100 apart from the word of a thief?

ski
    Free Member

philfive – Member

and cynic-al

my mate got 180 hrs community service from the same court for falling to report he reveresed into a bollard that he didn’t know he had done. so theft of property is the same as a driving offence?

we all moan about bike thefts rising and this approach is one of the reasons.

Thats mad philfive, I think the courts look at the ability to pay a fine more than the crime sometimes 😉

Wozza
    Free Member

why shouldn’t that story make me angry? it’s local to me and they guy, in my eyes, has walked free to do it again.

+1

Burns when you work hard for something and these people take it from you with almost no consequence’s. I also think that the lack of willing to tell the cops where he sold it shows no remorse and should carry a significant sentence.

Speshpaul

“Thats mad philfive, I think the courts look at the ability to pay a fine more than the crime sometimes”

Thats it, nail on the head. If you’ve got a job you can pay. If you are petty crim and on benefits they can’t fine you more than you can pay ( more than the tax payer can pay- insert daily mail)

If you start thinking about this too long and hard you start building concentration camps.

smell_it
    Free Member

Philfive – No you are right it should make you angry, so my apologies. I’m lucky enough to be a posistion where I can do some voluntary work with a couple of sports focused youth projects in north manchester, and I guess that’s how I channel my ire at stuff like this, I figure I can’t moan about about other’s not doing if I’m not doing something myself. But I do sometimes get on my high horse about ranting, but as I know nothing about you or what you do, it was wrong to have a dig. No offense intended, as said, my apols.

retro83
    Free Member

I wish in cases like these they’d pop round to the thief’s abode and look for items to flog.

If there genuinely aren’t any, fair enough. They can pay back the mediocre fine at £5 a week or whatever the rate is. Otherwise, take the fooker’s PS3, TV, decorative samurai swords etc. Not just for the monetary value but also to deprive them of something they like.

philfive
    Free Member

no need to apologise smell-it, i have a real hatred for crimes against property i.e theft, vandalism etc, people have worked and saved for those items and to think people can just come and take them with fear of punishment really annoys me.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Send the boys round.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘enough to make the urine boil?’ is closed to new replies.