Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Enough bluebells, it’s the season for buttercups!
  • zokes
    Free Member

As summer seems to be here on a semi-permanent basis for a change, I felt we needed some brighter flowers to match the mood….

or even both at once….

cinnamon_girl

Hey – nice idea!

I was thinking of starting a poppy field thread but didn’t have a camera when I saw one!

zokes
    Free Member

One of my friends has a love of poppies…

sharki
    Free Member

Mostly Fox gloves around the east Quantocks woods.

Soon the heathland will be colourful too.

zokes
    Free Member

Yeah, I reckon the next seasonal flowers thread should be heathers – It was great up on the North York Moors a couple of Augusts ago…

anagallis_arvensis

Zokes where is that top one?

ANyway next seasonal flower should be a woodcranesbill meadow from the Pennines, shockingly for someone who studied them for a PhD I have no pictures and I havent seen a meadow of this type in bloom for years so help me out here please.

zokes
    Free Member

It’s near Pendle Hill in Lancs

Are these the guys you’re after? (Other website photo, not mine)

If so, i’m sure there’s a load in the bottom of my garden. Not quite a meadow though, despite the state of my lawn!

miketually
    Free Member

I don’t know if I’m just noticing them more, but it seems to be an especially good year for little grassland flowers this year.

problem_child
    Free Member

zokes,i see your butter cups and raise you a couple of million more……..

anagallis_arvensis

Buttercups are well and good but a true traditional meadow has soooooo much more. Thems the buggers zokes, mainly seen on roadsides these days but once were in all the upland hay meadows….

zokes
    Free Member

What did you do your PhD in then? Just curious as I’m currently post-doccing on nutrient cycling in nutrient-poor habitats…

lyons
    Free Member

no offence, but that sounds really boring. I’m guessing it wasnt though?

We’ve got alot of foxgloves, wild garlic, and my favourite, stinging Nettles here in the south east.

anagallis_arvensis

I think all PhD’s sound pretty boring to be honest. Hay meadows and chalk grasslands are the most amazing plant communities in the UK and also amongst the rarest despite having been so common 60 or so years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Enough bluebells, it’s the season for buttercups!’ is closed to new replies.