Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • English community in France
  • techsmechs
    Free Member

Is there any ex pat newspapers that are worth reading? Looking to move out soon, and looking for some advertising space…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ll ask my folks, they live in La Rochelle, there’s certainly a chip shop van that’s worth visiting.

PePPeR

The biggest one I can think of at the moment is this one.

http://www.connexionfrance.com/

I also have a house in the Vendee, its a lovely part of France and yes there is a great mobile fish and chip shop near us too.

mugsys_m8

There’s lots, but I can never remember their names. Lots of expats websites too.

Dan, escaped October 2008.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Dream time I to have a place in the Haute Vienne and I NEED to get back there 😕

Best forum to use would be total france http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/index.php

Hope this helps

saladdodger
    Free Member

On the same track , why do you want to leave this fair isle of ours 🙄 and then get stuck with the expats

“when in rome” etc

techsmechs
    Free Member

Can’t wait to leave this fair Isle, however I want to advertise my services to that community (and beyond). Don’t really want to get involved other than that.

It would seem trustworthy trades people are harder to find than in the UK, does anyone have any experience with this?

duntstick
    Free Member

never mind the free papers check out ‘Angloinfo’ for your target area

Angloinfo

richc
    Free Member

my brother is working over there as a builder and has been for 2 and bit years in the Dordogne, and he mentions that all work has dried up (some other builders he knows have been out of work since November) and he has a very good reputation for his work and reliability.

Apparently none of the ex-pat community are prepared to change their sterling into euros at the moment, hence tons of work but no money to pay for it. He could get paid in pounds, but he still needs to buy materials in Euro’s so thats a non-starter.

Stoner
    Free Member

I know a guy who went out about 9 years ago. He has a successful building business and has made every effort to become part of the community. His french is fluent and the locals employ him just as much as expats who need works done to their holday homes. He is even on the commune council. He says he’s been so successful only because he has made the effort to get to know all the french mechanisms of life – if you dont go to the trouble it can make life tough. He has earnt the respect he gets from the locals and it shows.

His only complaint is the quality of the local workers (in the building trade). Very hard to find labourers that arent extraordinarily stupid or lazy.

In this economic climate his ex pat work is slowing down because of the currency problem, but his french work is still just about bouyant enough.

slowmedown
    Free Member

richc speaks the truth, Luckily I’m still very busy, but many people I know are struggling badly. Its not just the ex-pats who aren’t spending money many of my french friends are very short of work as well. One Menuisier (carpenter) I know who usually has months of work booked in has no work to do… Builders merchants are very quiet places…

techsmechs
    Free Member

Thanks guys, my intention has always has been to go and live as a local. I don’t see the point otherwise. Just wanna go live in the mountains and ride me bike and kick back in the sunshine.

I’m learning French and cant wait to get out there.

I took a course at the local college to train as a carpenter entirely for that purpose. So if anyone needs one, i’m happy to travel….

techsmechs
    Free Member

slowmedown – where are you based?

slowmedown
    Free Member

Lot valley, near Figeac

techsmechs
    Free Member

You lucky sod – thats a loverly area.

Well if you ever want Level 2 trained carpenter, help you with your frantic work load 😉

Thanks for the advice

TM

saladdodger
    Free Member

so techsmechs where are you going to live

techsmechs
    Free Member

Who knows! In the camper to start with 😆

Would like to be somewhere in the south with nice wine…..

saladdodger
    Free Member

good on ya 😀

good luck

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘English community in France’ is closed to new replies.