Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • English C2C and Hadrians Wall routes or….
  • scotroutes

Just thinking about some easy touring routes on the other side of the border and it looked like these two could be linked up into a nice circuit. Has anyone done this and have a rough idea of how long it took them?

Alternatively, point out some pleasant on/off-road touring that might be suitable for February/March this year. Happy to B&B/camp or even alternate.

paul4stones

They both potentially start and finish in the same place so can easily be linked. I would suggest the c2c is better west to east because of the way the hills are, hadrians is relatively flat. There is a Borderers way or something which runs further north, Kielder way, and from the sustrans website appears to have bits missing but that could be filled with tracks/minor roads of your choice.

Both the c2c and the HC take 1-3 days depending.

Edit: the reivers is what I meant.

daleftw
    Free Member

I live in Sunderland, the Girlfriend lives in Carlisle. Usually ride over on one cycle route, ride back on a different one. All 3 are pretty good.

Will you be camping or b+bing?

RustySpanner

We looked into this a few years ago – but ended up doing most of it as individual day rides.

C2C east west, Reivers back over to the east.

We were looking at 7 or 8 days making a holiday of it, including sightseeing & a couple of days in Newcastle.
    Just over 300 miles, so split it how you like. 😀
    It’s a nice route, well surfaced and has some cracking climbs, but never enough to finish you for the day.

ninfan
    Free Member

Yep, as mentioned, the Reivers

http://reivers-route.co.uk

If you’re imaginative, you can throw in some good off road stuff along the way on both the Reivers and the C2C

daleftw
    Free Member

Just before I forget about this thread, my favourite combination was

Sunderland – Newcastle – Reivers to Kielder – Camp

Camp – Carlisle

Carlisle to just after Haltwhistle on the Hadrians – Camp

Camp – Newcastle – Sunderland

4 days, could have done 2. Good fun though.

scotroutes

Some nice ideas – keep them coming.

4 days would be ideal. That would give me half a day each way for getting to the start/finish.

daleftw
    Free Member

Scotroutes – email me (username at gmail dot com) if you have any questions.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘English C2C and Hadrians Wall routes or….’ is closed to new replies.