Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • England World Cup Final 23 Squad – Whats yours
  • SuperScale20
    Free Member

Ok guys the day is finally hear and capello is dragging this on, just wanted to know who you guys feel should be left.

Bent
    Baines
    Dawson
    Carrick
    Wright – Phillips
    Huddlestone
    Parker

Garry_Lager

Gerrard
    Carragher
    Ferdinand
    Terry
    Wright-Phillips
    Heskey
    R. Green
    Upson
    Walcott

Should all F_k off home as they have been shite this season and the squad should be picked on form, not reputation. He can take the remaining 21.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It doesn't matter, whatever happens we will crash out amidst heartbreak as always.

And I have an Outlook fixtures calendar – if anyone wants it just email me (in profile).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Just come in on the minute-by-minutes on BBC…

From Dan, Peterborough, via text to 81111: "Capello has to take all five strikers. They all offer something different to the team, and it's an area where if we pick up a few injuries we will be short otherwise."

Good gawd – glad he isn't the manager with that thinking.

hainey
    Free Member

Shilton
    Hoddle
    Waddle
    Lineker
    Robson
    Butcher
    Barnes
    Beardsley
    Walker
    Pearce
    Gascoigne
    Platt
    Seaman

freddyg
    Free Member

I'd much rather he took Bent than Heskey. Bent can do everything Heskey does and scores goals too. 25 goals playing for a rubbish team is not to be sniffed at.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But who plays alongside Rooney best?

Heskey.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Now I don't follow football at all, but according to a bloke down the pub England won 2-1 against Japan without scoring any goals recently, which does make think that player selection is going to be somewhat superfluous 🙂

mr_krabs
    Free Member

all off to ayia napa not SA hopefully

upson
    huddlestone
    A. Johnson
    Parker
    Warnock
    bent
    Milner

freddyg
    Free Member

mmmm.. I thought Bent did pretty well t'other day.

Agree that Heskey's strength is that he feeds Rooney well, but that still limits you to one striker. Bent can do all that, and get goals himself. It's a shame he hasn't had more of an opportunity over the last few months to try an build up some kind of understanding.

EDIT: looks like it's a moot point anyway according to the BBC/Sky rumours

mr_krabs
    Free Member

1302: Sky sources are agreeing with Matt Law (below) that Theo Walcott is not in the England World Cup squad. This isn't official, just to be clear.
    From [journalist] MattLawExpress on Twitter: "Walcott out of England World Cup squad – gutted for him."

Bit of a surprise if he doesn't make it. Thought he would have gone as an off the bench impact player

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No Walcott. Heskey is in as is Wright-Philips.

mr_krabs
    Free Member

this is a joke. why doesn't he just announce the bloody squad instead of a load of journos doing it for him.
    he must have spoken to the players if they're talking to the press

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I believe it is because he wanted to speak to each player (that has been omitted) individually before making the official announcement but they are clearly blabbing as soon as they have heard.

A right pain though.

allthepies
    Free Member

Bent misses the plane apparently…..

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It's not all he misses.

freddyg
    Free Member

That's a little harsh isn't it MF?

3rd top scorer in the prem (behind Drogba and Rooney) isn't too shabby is it? Especially as he's been playing in a rubbish team. How would he have done with some quality players around him?

Andituk
    Free Member

Shaun Wright bloody Phillips…

What do people see in him..

surfer
    Free Member

Shaun Wright bloody Phillips.

+1

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

That's a little harsh isn't it MF?

Only jesting. Yes he has had a good season and is unlucky not to be included, but I do see the sense in keeping Heskey in as he has more experience playing alongside Rooney in an England shirt. And if we are to stand a chance in the tournament, we need to play to our one strength. If Rooney is out, it would not really matter who was up front in his place, Heskey or Bent – neither has what it takes to score at that level so he has chosen the player who can be his foil and is hoping he stays fit/doesn't get himself banned.

And I like S W-P – he can run at people and certainly at the group stages he has the pace to scare some less experienced defences. He will be useless against the better defences though.

surfer
    Free Member

And I like S W-P – he can run at people and certainly at the group stages he has the pace to scare some less experienced defences.

Fast yes but often with so little result.

freddyg
    Free Member

Fair point – although Bent did manage to score against Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton and Spurs…. So it kind of implies that the comment ("neither has what it takes to score at that level") doesn't apply to him. Although you're right about Heskey – 3 prem goals for a striker? Pffft…

Think you're spot on about SWP though. Is scarily fast and will really put the sh!ts up some defences. Easily contained when up against quality though.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Fast yes but often with so little result.

Agreed – which is why I say he can scare the inexperienced defences – they will see him coming and panic. I don't see him being used should we get past the first stages, except to inject pace for the final 30 minutes should we be chasing a game. In fact, I don't see him being used other than as a sub for any game really – I just like to see people run at defences.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

1600: Breaking news: The seven England players to miss out on a World Cup place are: Leighton Baines, Michael Dawson, Tom Huddlestone, Scott Parker, Adam Johnson, Theo Walcott, Darren Bent.

FuzzyWuzzy

Heskey and Wright-Phillips lol, are we sure Capello isn't getting paid by the Italians?

Garry_Lager

Capello is a pandering wee bollox really. SWP can't get a game for Man City, yet Johnson gets sent home. Heskey hasn't had a kick all season for Villa, but Wayne likes him so he's in. Feel bad for Baines – he's a better player than Warnock but he looked shakey in that friendly. Both are miles behind Cole so it doesn't really matter.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I was feeling really positive about the WC a few months ago, but just recently all I can see is failure to get out of the group stage, especially given our toughest match is first up and we are always slow starters (Mexico and Japan matches re-enforced this thought too).

Hareydan
    Free Member

I was looking forward to the WC but now I'm worried that Capello isn't the genius everyone thought he was, I'd have taken Walcott over SWP and Carrick shouldn't have been anywhere near the 30, let alone the final 23. Still, fingers crossed 🙂

billybob
    Free Member

I'd've taken Johnson simply cos he doesn't seem to have much fear – & he can play on the left – gives us another option.

white101

agree with most of above. A lot of players have missed lots of games through injury or form has been consistently poor this season yet still appear in squad. I think Carrick and Gerrard have been really slack this season but couldn't see SG ever getting dropped, but Carrick? please do me a favour, reminds me of Ray Wilkins I'm sure he thought he was playing rugby, he never passed the ball forward.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Carrick & Wright – Phillips why someone please tell me why?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘England World Cup Final 23 Squad – Whats yours’ is closed to new replies.