Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Engineers – home made wheel building stands
  • mickasaki
    Free Member

There must be some engineers on here who could knock some up surely! Just been looking at them, more precisely the park ones at about £115. theres nothing to it! surely there would be a few quid to be made for someone with access to tools. matey selling those headset tools on classifieds seems to be selling a few, so surely there will be a market!

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Old set of forks? Or an old rear triangle for rears? If you don't/can't be arsed to get something made up.

mickasaki
    Free Member

would be handy if i still had a frame or forks with rim brake mounts! progress is good!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    richmars

Roger Musson's Wheel Building Guide, here shows how to make one in wood. Well worth the £9 for the book.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

My wooden jig has served me well – built wheels that have lasted a season of WC DH racing!

Sometimes I even use spokes! 😉

A couple more photos and a few words here:
    http://www.gravity-slaves.co.uk/?a=412

Break out the 2×4's and a saw and go for it. If you think that's roach, you should see my dishing tool!

mickasaki
    Free Member

I can knock one up for myself, thought someone may like to earn a few quid!
    gravity-slave – roach is a small silver fish with red fins yes? cant see one of them!

gusamc
    Free Member

can't you turn your bike upside down and stick a couple of zippies (or clamps etc) on the forks at the aprropriate point ????

mickasaki
    Free Member

Not really if your starting from scratch

wors

i have an old frame with rim brake bosses if you are interested, £25 collected.

roger-m
    Free Member

Here's a very nice one, very art-deco, although my preference is for white (makes sighting easier). Note how he has used hard wood for the jaws (as did gravity-slave above).

wheel truing stand

ChrisE
    Free Member

I got one that I got the guys in work to make for me. All stainless steel, with a post that takes a dial-gauge. It makes the job very easy.

C

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Old forks & zip ties?

rubberscrubber
    Free Member

I made one from some angle iron and held together with 2 length of studding, its adjustable for width, but I only use it for trueing.
    I'll get some pics on for you, if I can remember how to do it.

takisawa2

Would be useful for the occasional bit of truing etc., but for building from scratch I'd sooner give the job to a decent LBS. I simply wouldn't have the time to become any good at it. Good sense of achievement though I can imagine.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I made this, it does what I want it to do.

rubberscrubber
    Free Member

rubberscrubber
    Free Member

wwaswas

I got his off ebay;

old as the hills and weighs about 60lbs but seemed to be a better bet than a homemade one based on the wheelbuild book design (for me).

wwaswas

anyone know what the flat plate at the bottom is for?

rubberscrubber
    Free Member

here's mine, work a treat for trueing.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Old frame or forks works for my uses.

Grimy
    Free Member

Love this thread, just shows what you can bosh together out of old bits to make a perfecty functional tool with somewhat limited resources! Proper British garden shed engineering 8)

I had the luxury of a small machine shop to slap some bits of old scrap together to make mine, so its a kinda cheat, but its still made from recycled bits so a little less went to landfill and I have a perfectly good wheel trueing stand. The DTI gauge really makes things that bit easyer and faster too! Theres a second one normally fitted to the lower arm for the circumfrential adjustment but I made it quick release so I can leave the tyre on.

rubberscrubber
    Free Member

nice bit of scrap metal you there 🙂

andrewh
    Free Member

I'm feeling inspired. I've always just put my wheel into the singlespeed (which has rim brakes) but the vertical bit has always been a bit haphazard. Might try something with a hinged bit doing for front and rear wheels.

nbt

Bump

Am planning to build a wheel jig, probably an adjustable one as per Mr Musson's wheelpro guide – just wondering if anyone has any bright ideas about non-standard axle wheels as I have a 20mm front and a 15mm front wheel in amongst the QR's. I have seen a cone thing that would work, centring the hole of the 15 or 20mm axle, with a standard axle on the other side, not sure where to buy them or how much they might cost to buy / make though, only saw an image on the t'interweb

nbt

Found this:
    http://mtb-tools.blogspot.com/

looks interesting

stevomcd
    Free Member

I believe Roger Musson's book/stand covers 20mm wheels, etc. I haven't actually got round to buying it yet, but I did ask the question myself in the past!

nbt

This is the kind of thing I'd seen – one size fits all in this case

although the ones I saw were made of metal rather than hardwood. ANyone got access to a lathe to knock some up?

rootes1

ok bit of a bodge, but works, but made from free bits:

sip ties for lateral true – green for rear black for front

lateral true

use a modified dish gauge as per roger musson book

roger-m
    Free Member

Holding 20mm, 15mm and rear bolt thru hubs is easy in the RM Truing Stand <– Click

RM

PS Book users : if you haven't already done so then logon to your new control panel for more of these sub-topics and detailed notes on the videos.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I've not got any pictures but mine was made from the legs off old school tables that were broken in the corner of the tech lab. Got me a GCSE and a young inventor of the year award (despite the fact that I repeatedly told them I didn't invent the wheel truing stand).

nbt

Thanks roger, the 20mm adapter looks pretty straightforward 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

+1 Rogers Mussons book. £9 and all the info you'll ever need to build wheels. No black magic engineering artistry or expensive kit needed, build a wheel perfect 1st time.

Nearly finished my wheel building stand from some scrap 18mm ply and plastic from a broken printer! Not going to be pretty as the ply edges are impossible to sand smooth without splintering but it'll work 100%.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Engineers – home made wheel building stands’ is closed to new replies.