Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Engineering question; what's the stuff that test labs and IKEA use called..?
  • househusband

It’s like Lego for adults; lengths of aluminium section with connecting pieces used for constructing test beds and machinery platforms – have seen it being used by IKEA for the machines they use to show their chairs being tested?

Ta!

Phototim
    Free Member

This http://www.8020.net/ ? Used for frame jigs too.

Wozza
    Free Member

You mean Rose and Krieger or Bosh Rexroth. It’s good stuff but not cheap, you can get small amounts from RS uk.

Rose and Krieger

Rexroth

househusband

Brilliant – thanks to you both!

Not on the same scale as Wozza’s photo… just something I may try making!

TheBrick
    Free Member

There are several companies that make is just google extruded aluminium , extruded aluminium frames take a look around e.t.c

e.g

http://www.aluframesystems.co.uk/

househusband

TheBrick; found a few more since – just wasn’t sure what I was looking for, or what to Google. Valuframe looks promising, too.

(Kinda toying with making a bike trailer, a ‘project’ for over the summer…)

richmars

I use stuff from Item, I’ve made benches and test rigs at work with it. I would love to kit my garage out with it as well. In the UK, get it from here.

TheBrick
    Free Member

ust wasn’t sure what I was looking for, or what to Google.

Yeah I know I wasn’t trying to be a smart arse. I was looking into it last year and had trouble finding the appropriate google phrase too.

mc
    Free Member

I ordered a pile of it from http://www.aluminium-profile.co.uk/ last month for start gates.
    All came nicely cut to size, although I do have 6x300mm 40×40 bits left as I allowed abit too much for length and had to chop them, which you can have if they’re any use to you.

nickjb
    Free Member

The Rose & Krieger cast aluminium clamps from wozzas link with some aluminium tube might be better for a trailer. There are some cheaper fittings available too (heavier, less precise, generally used for handrails)

molgrips
    Free Member

Some trailer that’s going to turn out to be!

I was hoping you were going to make your own mechanical bum.

househusband

Some trailer that’s going to turn out to be!

Just a pipe dream at the moment… would model it using either Pro/E or Inventor and get an idea of weight – and cost.

MC; ta! Did you model/design first or just ‘build’..?

mc
    Free Member

Basic sketch/weight calcs were done on abit paper (loads of stuff on the web for calculating load/deflection for all the profiles) to make sure I got a strong enough profile.

Was far easier than making them from steel, plus they end up lighter and stiffer, although a good bit more expensive!

I missed the comment about it being for a trailer. One thing you’ll have to look into is the grade of alloy and galvanic corrosion, as I’ve seen underun bars falling of lorries within a couple years, because the alloys corroded to nothing around the bolts/nuts.

househusband

Good point about the corrosion…

takisawa2

I bet you could get a steel frame welded & powdered for about the same cost, with no fasteners to worry about. We use the stuff, but its pricey & I’d be concerned about it working loose over time on the road. It’s good for quickly lashing up test rigs & benches though.

househusband

I bet you could get a steel frame welded & powdered for about the same cost, with no fasteners to worry about.

And another good point..!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Engineering question; what's the stuff that test labs and IKEA use called..?’ is closed to new replies.