Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Engineer advice – stainless bolt removal
  • fids
    Free Member

Sheared the head off an Alan bolt on my SC Heckler swing arm . Being stainless it's very hard and I'm at the stage of tried extracting it with a bolt extractor having tapped the bolt but it's not made of strong enough steel to grip and burrow itself into the bolt. Then tired drilling it out with a HSS titanium coated bit. 2.5mm one first and is bang centred but it's tough going getting through. If or when I get trough I dont feel confident that the next drill size up will go in bang central and will bugger up th ali threads on the swing arm. Any one an engineer in or near Sheffield for some precision metal work ?

Naranjada
    Free Member

fids – there must be lots of small engineering shops in and around sheffield, try yell.com and look for machine shops

try this linky

flip
    Free Member

If you're drilling it use super slow revs and a very sharp drill 😉

Coolant would help too.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I feel sorry for this Alan guy that you've sheared his head off.

I reckon the swing arm is the least of your worries right now 😆

Get some Plusgas in there and leave it, then re-treat and it should work loose eventually with some careful drilling.

Other than that take it to a bike shop, cap in hand and explain your hamfistedness and get them to sort it before you slip with the drill and bugger it up completely

neilb67
    Free Member

If you manage to drill the 2.5mm then I would get a torx bit and hammer it into drilled hole. Then use that to try and undo it. If it still doesnt budge then if youve got access to a soldering iron then use the iron on the torx bit to try and get some heat into the stuck thread.

Hadge
    Free Member

fids we repair stuff like that all the time at BETD. If you get stuck with no local help, give us a ring and I'm sure we'll sort it for you.

Foundry
    Free Member

If Hadge can not help you give me a call on 01209 216259 ask for Paul and I will see what I can do, I would want some pictures first though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Engineer advice – stainless bolt removal’ is closed to new replies.