Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Engine cleaning/decoking spray?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I seem to remember reading on here that there’s ome particular type of cleaning or decoking engine treatment that works and is the same stuff garages use. Ring any bells?

Trying to figure out if I can clean out my EGR system without dismantling it all.

large418
    Free Member

why do you want to clean the EGR system? If diesel the car may go better with it blocked……

andydicko
    Free Member

We use a product called Tunap, EGR still needs removing though!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dnt go there large. Trees need hugs too

andydicko
    Free Member

If an EGR valve sticks open the car will loose power.

nealglover
    Free Member

Get an engine mapping place to do an EGR delete on the ECU.

Job done. Doesn’t need cleaning out then 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Tunap, interesting. Car gives up on egr cos flow is insufficient, but I’ve got a plan, I may be able to manually open it whilst I spray shit into the intake. If this stuff actually works.

starsh78
    Free Member

I used Finishline citrus degreaser on mine…. worked a treat

Northwind

Mine would go badly with it blocked but goes very nicely with it blanked.

I slung some fuel treatment- I think BG244?- into my slightly sluggish-feeling mondeo when i bought it, and it stopped feeling sluggish. But that could equally be down to the deployment of my heavier right foot. I am skeptical of such things.

But, it made no difference to the EGR, it was still full of soot and ended up fully clogging shortly after. I cleaned it out, took a while and was quite remarkably messy, but satisfying.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I used Seafoam on the wifes coked up Mini Coooper S as it was cheap fix if it worked and was amazed at the results. BG244 supposed to even better but I’ve only used that in the fuel for cleaning the fuel system.
    Not sure how you will use it on the EGR though. Not familiar with VAG engines so how will you introduce it?

Stoner
    Free Member

Seafoam?
    http://www.seafoamsales.com/

EDIT: Doh, beaten by craig

andydicko
    Free Member

Molgrips – Tunap is a trade product, they have a really good line of products one of which is a carbon cleaner, you might be able to source some on eBay, if not Email me and I’ll see what I can do.

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s no point in cleaning the valve on its own when it sits between the inlet manifold and a long pipe which is itself connected to the exhaust manifold and a cooler. All of which could be coked up, since that’s where the exhaust gas goes.

I have used a spray that you spray into the turbo before. But again dunno if it works. Anything that goes into the fuel would have to survive combustion and remain effective.

properbikeco
    Free Member

mr muscle is the stuff to use

andydicko
    Free Member

There is mate, as the pipes don’t move, the EGR valve does (solenoid action) that’s why they fail, carbon deposits sit on the solenoid eventually keeping it slightly open, stuck open or stuck shut…..

Northwind

molgrips – Member

There’s no point in cleaning the valve on its own when it sits between the inlet manifold and a long pipe which is itself connected to the exhaust manifold and a cooler. All of which could be coked up, since that’s where the exhaust gas goes.

Well, depends. Stuck valve is a problem for me, causes bad running. Blocked or restricted hose isn’t, in fact it just does what my wee blanking plate does. Also the valve is likely to stick way before other parts become an issue. Your mileage literally may vary.

molgrips
    Free Member

Andy, ta – found a petrol EGR cleaner spray on ebay but not diesel.

The alternative is taking the whole lot off and doing it with a toothbrush, but that’s a lot of work (I seem to have an EGR cooler which is water cooled) and will require a stack of gaskets and whatnot too.

molgrips
    Free Member

Valve is not stuck. The ECU detects insufficient EGR flow and shuts the valve so I get no EGR and a warning light.

I would like EGR, makes for smoother idling I think and lower emissions.

starsh78
    Free Member

^ this is correct 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Engine cleaning/decoking spray?’ is closed to new replies.