Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Energy Return Wheel – Airless bicycle tires … I like!
  • chewkw
    Free Member

So when are we getting one of this as I am fed up with my flat tires …

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9SWIsY8rzQ&feature=plcp[/video]

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wow. Could they have made that less informative?

EDIT, probably just as well, here’s their marketing guff. GUess what, FREE ENERGY!!!!

The physics behind the ERW is similar to that of a garage door. Even though a garage door weighs several hundred pounds, when it is sprung by the use of springs, it becomes de-weighted. So when you lift it, it only feels like it weighs a few pounds. In summary, an object that is sprung requires dramatically less energy to move than an unsprung object. In addition to the use of springs, an object can be sprung by stretching rubber. Scientists call this “Elastic Potential Energy.” At the center of the ERW is a layer of rubber. Through the use of adjustable rods, the rubber is stretched which stores elastic potential energy in the wheel, turning the ERW into a 360-degree slingshot that retains energy (hence the term “Energy Return Wheel”). When the ERW is attached to an object, that object becomes sprung. Just like a garage door that is sprung, the attached object becomes de-weighted and requires dramatically less energy to move than an unsprung object. Less energy to move means an increase in fuel efficiency. road. According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, there are over 200 million cars and trucks currently on the road just in the United States.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Would love to see how that coped with the SPAM Winter Challenge in above zero temperatures….

😉

ScottChegg
    Free Member

If you get a stone stuck in that will it stop the free energy flow?

chewkw
    Free Member

The only problem is carrying mud in the cavity of the tires …

ojom
    Free Member

Apparently they could make one with side rubber so mud doesn’t get in.

So… like a tyre then…

crikey
    Free Member

You could put a thin rubber tube inside to keep the mud out, maybe call it an ‘Inner tube’ ?

Karl33to
    Free Member

great idea, terrible video – seeing someone mince off a 1 ft drop doesn’t exactly inspire much confidence

chewkw
    Free Member

I guess it’s good for XC rather big drop.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Brilliant idea! Couple of questions though:

How will it cope with riders who aren’t 72Kg exactly?

What’s the deal with the rubber coping with temperatures that often encountered outside of California?

As a further point, they seem to have reinvented the elastomer…

JAG

The idea has been around for a while – but for cars

But it does only work in very exact circumstances – so no letting air out to manage the grip avaialable etc….

roadiebiker-m.g
    Free Member

good idea, sort of.

From the video looks like a pile of junk in reality though. I think its got a long way to go before it can imitates the rolling of a tubeless tire.

The science also doesnt really make sense. Who said turning your wheel into a pogo stick is a good idea performance wise, the cornering handling must be terrible.

Instead of puncturing your tire you will be able to break it instead!

itsmygame
    Free Member

Oooohhh I want one ( y am I so easy ) lol

chiefgrooveguru

Of course the air in a pneumatic tyre doesn’t act like a spring in any way – as we all know there’s no such thing as an air spring…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Energy Return Wheel – Airless bicycle tires … I like!’ is closed to new replies.