Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Energy drinks/recover stuff.
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Okay I DON’T want a debate on whether people think they are good/useful. I want to know what you use or would recommend? I want some energy drink but looking on wiggle it’s a mine field! Thanks.

simondbarnes

I use PSP22 for energy, Rego Rapid for recovery.

jimc101
    Free Member

Frijj Chocolate Fudge Brownie

Sainsburys or Tesco Isotonic

Both cheap and the shake is nice

catnap
    Free Member

+1 for energy psp22 , recovery 1 pint of milk

Northwind

Lucozade powder stuff for energy drinks- don’t use these much- and Yazoo chocolate milk for recovery. Mmmmmmmmm chocolate milk. The lucozade stuff seems no better or worse than anything else but is often cheap in tesco.

In winter, the microwavable Frijj is the clear champion, even if it does like to explode out of the mug

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Someone else had suggested chocolate milk as a good recovery drink, maybe I’ll just get some energy stuff for now! Anyone used the High 5? Although I see there are so many different types! I’ll take a look at the PSP22.

uplink
    Free Member

I like the Torq drink, very light and doesn’t go sticky

Twodogs

I use High5 recovery (chocolate is great) and their energy 4:1 drink…both work well for me

Northwind

I used to use the Rego pink recovery drink, which was horrible, but perversely felt like it was doing some good- “I’m drinking pink ooze, I wouldn’t be doing that unless it was good for me” sort of thing. :mrgreen:

uplink
    Free Member

I could never get that Rego stuff to fully dissolve

cookeaa

High five Energy source 2:1 + Zero tabs if out for a couple of hours or more, and some cheap vanilla flavour whey protein shake stuff from sainsbury for recovery…

pedalhead
    Free Member

On the bike, something with 2:1 glucose:fructose, something like Torq energy. For longer rides add some protein…High5 4:1 for example. Chocolate milkshake is allegedly as good as anything for recovery, but I’d avoid the ones with lots of fat.

or you could make your own of course. Maltodextrin powder from myprotein.co.uk + fructose + whey or soy protein powder if required. Just ordered some to have a go myself.

ps44
    Free Member

High 5 4:1. The bars are good too. You may have to try several brands to find one that your stomach will be happy with when the stuff gets going.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Waves @ Pedalhead .. it was you that told me that about choco milk! So which ones should I avoid? or more tot he point which do you drink? Nesquik is about the only one I know? someone else had told me High 5 4:1 I shall take a look tomorrow. I’m not a fan of lots of the bars, Cliff bars bleurgh need to drink a ton of water to get them down. The Sports beans are great though find they are okay on stomach.

Oggles
    Free Member

Recovery half pint of milk, 2 scoops whey protein & nesquik chocolate 😉 and a banana.

Energy drink – half fruit juice or squash & glucose powder, half water, pinch of salt. Added protein for longer rides.

Rego is much more expensive, and psp messes with my stomach…

prezet
    Free Member

I’ve been using the Bike Food energy powder for pre/during rides, and their hemp based protein powder for recovery drinks. Not the cheapest, but I’ve definitely noticed improvements in energy levels.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Try a few see which ones you like the taste of and more importantly don’t upset the stomach. I personally get on well with the Torq stuff.

pedalhead
    Free Member

hiya 🙂 Yep I think I mentioned to you about the milkshake thing. I just use nesquik these days as the “proper” recovery drinks are very expensive & I’m not convinced they’re any better (neither was the sports nutritionist I spoke to). Once I get the myprotein delivery through I’ll make up an energy drink mix & you can try some if you like. If you look at the ingredients on stuff like Torq etc it’s mostly maltodextrin as the glucose source along with fructose (you can get this from the supermarket or myprotein), plus some electrolytes, maybe some choline bitartate (same again). Easy to make similar stuff for a fraction of the cost I reckon.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Torq for recovery and water for the ride.

pedalhead
    Free Member

oh and personally I’d avoid the SiS PSP22 stuff as it has aspartame in it, or certainly used to, which seems like a really bad idea for an energy drink consumed in fairly large quantities.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

On trail – Either Banana cake, cereal bars or bananas and plain water

Post ride – choc soya milk or whey protein shake, water and a proper feed

The whey protein I get is from decathlon and costs only a tenner.

ourmaninthenorth

I use myprotein.co.uk powders bought in bulk:

Energy – maltodextrine : fructose in 2:1 mix (unflavoured)

Recovery – unflavoured whey protein (50g) with 500ml fruit juice

Simple, cheap and effective.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I tend to find water that has been mixed with hops and barley and other natural goodness is an excellent recovery drink for all sorts of activities.

Look how healthy these young people are:

jonb
    Free Member

Whatever was on offer when I needed more energy drink (Lucozade last time) and milk/chocolate milk (yazoo) for recovery.

neil853
    Free Member

From, I’ve tried all the main brands and it works just as well on my 25 mile daily commute

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Pedalhead, you should speak to Jay he makes his own drinks and said it’s relatively easy as he’s done various nutrition/sports courses.Think I’ll buy something as a starting point .. you can then teach me the tricks!! Maybe High 5 it is then.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Hey don’t joke about beer! When I finished my triathlon on Sunday you got half a pint of Hooky beer free!!! WTF!??

allmountainventure
    Free Member

+1 for triathlon 🙂

topangarider
    Free Member

I like the SIS Go electrolyte or High5 energy source for energy – both the lemony flavoured ones. The Zipvit stuff sent me wappy. For recovery I’m finishing off some rego at the mo, which is ok, not as nice as the zipvit stuff (really enjoyed that, but it’s damn expensive now!) Think I’ll go down the homemade milk/banana/cocoa powder smoothie after this.

I’d personally try to get samples of different brands and see how you react performance wise and gut wise, then make a decision. PBK and discount supplements are both doing the High5 race pack for a fiver at the mo – you get 11 sachets/gels for that, which is a good way to try them.

Generally I find High5 suits me best – but thats just me.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Hey don’t joke about beer!

I was not. 😐

Serious matter, is beer.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

whoops think I’d be sick then drunk, i’ll leave that one for someone else…..

trickydisco
    Free Member

Torq stuff (1.5kg tubs) for energy and

these for recovery if i’ve had hard ride

vdubber67
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth – Member

I use myprotein.co.uk powders bought in bulk:

Energy – maltodextrine : fructose in 2:1 mix (unflavoured)

Simple, cheap and effective.

+1. So much cheaper, just add squash to flavour

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Energy drinks/recover stuff.’ is closed to new replies.