Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Energy drinks
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

of eating some salty fries, I began to feel absolutely right as rain again.

Salt deficiency?

Clearly – you will get salt deficiency as you dilute down the electrolyte mix. You take in too much fluid, too much hi GI stuff. This washes electrolytes out of your body.

I have read much stuff you say of maltodextrin and supplements and you really do have some odd ideas and practices. you suggested to someone that they aim for an intake of a kilo and a half or more of glucose / maltodestrin in a 24 hr race. FFS – quite ridiculous!

I am not surprised you feel ill when you don't take enough electrolytes and you fuel your body on sugars and maltodextrin.

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

A good potassium source should help with cramp. Bananas are good for it.

Anyway, I uses SIS and its sticky as hell. Good for energy but I use less than the amount they suggest as it just so syrupy.

molgrips
    Free Member

you suggested to someone that they aim for an intake of a kilo and a half or more of glucose / maltodestrin in a 24 hr race. FFS – quite ridiculous

For a solo – why's that ridiculous?

You know crap all, TJ. I don't know a massive amount but I always read, learn and experiment. You read, but you don't seem to learn or experiment…

Anyway – You don't know how much fluid I actually take in. If you think I sit there and force myself to drink the scheduled amount even if I don't want it, you have absolutely no idea how I work. Well you clearly don't understand me anyway. My ideas are not odd, they are widely accepted sports nutrition advice and are not in ANY way controversial. You'd know that if you really were reading around instead of clinging to the first idea you heard about it 20 years ago.

If you re-read my post on here, I get cramp when I work too hard for my fitness level to take or I overstretch muscles. My point was that it doesn't seem related to fluid intake for me.

The bit about fries was simply an observation, with a possible link. I don't know and I'm not offering any theories as to why I thought that happened.

Re cramp…The fitter I am, the less I suffer from it…Go figure

This is exactly my experience too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

1.5 kg of maltodextrin in 24 hrs? Why is it ridiculous – It will give them insulin spiking and sugar crashes, possibly osmotic diarrhoea, possibly upset teh osomrity of your blood, ruin your ability to digest real food, its around the max amount of calories they can absorb in 24 hrs. It might well cause all sorts of metabolic issues. Have you any idea what that amount of high GI will do to you?

Its as bonkers as your ideas about coke as a recovery drink. coke feels good to you after exercise because you are trying to run your body on pure sugers / maltodextrin ( which acts as glucose) and are getting insulin spikes and sugar crashes as a result. so you are hypoglycaemic after exercise and crave the sugar hit of the coke.

Your body is not designed to run on pure sugar and despite all your protestations Maltodextrin acts exactly as sugar in your body.

I am afraid you have a load of half understood stuff on this and you have bought into the marketing bollox again. You need some more scepticism and knowledge.

molgrips
    Free Member

It will give them insulin spiking and sugar crashes

No, cos you take little bits all the time, and you're also exercising. So no spikes. Insulin promotes uptake of carbs by the muscles, which is what you want anyway. Hence recovery drink.

You know bugger all about exercise physiology, TJ, you really do.

Plus, you are convinced I'm stupid as pigsh*t.

And you will never ever EVER listen to anything I have to say. You don't even seem capable of it.

You're not really listening properly at all.

1.5kg of maltodextrin is only 5700 calories which, if you are riding 24 hours solo is only 240kcal per hour. So you need far more calories than that.

Your body is not designed to run on pure sugar

Exactly, which is why you eat normal food too, see above.

You just don't listen, you don't bother to understand.

On the one hand, I've got a professional, qualified, well-read and experienced coach and ex elite rider with a sports science degree giving me advice about exercise nutrition (which I've tried and found to be beneficial), and on the other hand I've got some old pig-ignorant git who doesn't race on a forum.

Why the flying F should I listen to you?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You're not really listening properly at all.

Pot kettle and black. Really molgrips – have a think. I have tried to point out to you where you might have got things a bit muddled but you won't listen. However giving your bizzare advice to others?

You have a mix of half understood stuff and marketing bollox. I don't know it all but I know enough to know that much of what you say is utter bobbins.

Once again you resort to insults.

molgrips
    Free Member

You've pointed it out, I've rebutted it. You, on the other hand, just keep repeating the same thing all the time.

Once again – you can't get blood sugar spikes from small amounts of carbs taken very regularly. How could you? The idea is to consistently top up your blood sugar so it doesn't go low as a result of using up muscle glycogen stores.

My advice is not bizarre. It's not even MY advice, it's generally accepted practice.

Are you even reading my whole posts? I am beginning to doubt this since you never address all my points.

turqoisedays
    Free Member

FFS ladies.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

deleted – pointless argument

nickc

I think you two just need to agree to disagree on this. No?

trail_rat
    Free Member

molgrips – have you tested that theory out ?

1.5 kg of maltodextrin !

vomit tastic !

molgrips
    Free Member

I didn't sit down and plough through 1.5kg of maltodextrin in one go, nor would I encourage anyone else to do it.

What TJ was getting at, I think, is that for racing the suggested maximum rate of absorbtion of carbs is 1g/kg body weight/hour. For a 70kg rider this would be about 1.5kg over a whole 24 hour race if you only drank that. Of course in practice you can only drink so much energy drink, so you'd have to drink a bit less than that and eat energy bars, real food and sweets/snacks etc, which is what I did for a solo Mayhem.

You know when your tummy's had enough.

I really dunno where TJ gets the idea that my recipe for success is 1.5kg of maltodextrin chugged. The aim is to eat/drink regularly and often so your blood sugar stays as consistent as possible, and DOESN'T spike.

I think he's arguing against energy drinks because someone once told him that drinking sugary drinks causes blood sugar spikes. If you down a can of coke whilst at rest and not having exercised at all, it probably does, however the situation is completely different when you're racing. In any case, a sugar spike followed by an insulin spike can be a good thing if your muscle glycogen stores are low because it promotes the uptake of the sugar from your blood into your muscles, which is exactly what you want when stores are depleted. This is why recovery drink is good.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Molgrips – you told the guy to take 1g of maltodextrin per kilo of bodyweight per hour for the 24 hrs. Dreadful advice for someone in the position he was in.

Much else of what you say is just confused. You have contradicted yourself on this thread.

I am not arguing against energy drinks – I am arguing against your dangerous and illfounded advice. Please stop with it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Molgrips
    1.5kg of maltodextrin is only 5700 calories which, if you are riding 24 hours solo is only 240kcal per hour. So you need far more calories than that.

is that for racing the suggested maximum rate of absorbtion of carbs is 1g/kg body weight/hour.

jonrambo
    Free Member

bit of speed does the trick! trouble is u cant sleep much day after! 😕

molgrips
    Free Member

How much should one drink then?

pk-ripper
    Free Member

high 5 4:1 for me. does the job.

I have about 60kg of it a day. stick that up yer bum TJ.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Energy drinks’ is closed to new replies.