Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Energy bar recipes
  • tartanscarf

Evening

Looking to make my own trail food/energy bar type things so would appreciate your recipes.

Cheers
    TS

Gary_M
    Free Member

Here’s my recipe.

225g oats
    200-250g runny honey (how much you use depends on how moist you like your bars, I use about 250g)
    50g of any seeds (I use pumpkin seeds)
    200g of any mixed fruit (raisins, dried fruits like pineapple, ginger, banana, cranberries)
    200g of any mixed nuts
    50g of butter or margarine
    Pinch of salt

Method
    Stand the honey in a bowl of hot water to make it easier to use
    Put nuts, seeds, oats and salt in a bowl and mix together
    Melt honey and butter together in a pan
    Mix honey and dry ingredients together
    Place mixture in greased baking tray – I usually compact it down with a rolling pin.
    Bake at 180 for about 15 minutes
    Turn out of tray to cool.

This makes 16-18 bars.

I usually put a chocolate topping on mine – green & blacks dark is my preferred option but my wife doesn’t like dark chocolate so I usually use white or milk (chocolate for cake toppings is fine). Melt the chocolate then pour over the cooling slab of yummieness.

Rather than using loads of different nuts/fruits in the mix I sometimes do ones with just one of each – cranberry and walnut are my Christmas special Also if you use a dark chocolate topping, dried ginger works really well but don’t use it on its own. Ginger and apricot and hazelnuts also works well with a dark chocolate topping.

Don’t get too hung up on getting the weights right – it can’t really go very wrong. I wouldn’t buy ready made bars now, mine are much nicer.

Enjoy.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Energy bar recipes’ is closed to new replies.